Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

How to play megawads/multilevel wads

Indeed, it's all player preference. I'm just surprised that pistol starting is so commonplace. I almost never do that unless instructed by the text file.

Even then, I still played 10 Sectors, CChest3 and Congestion/Claustrophobia 1024 progressive style. If I want to pistol start them, that's a choice. And if some map ends with robbing me of my weapons so the next map I have a pistol (usually the map is really annoying otherwise) then I'll changemap on ZDoom.

Processingcontrol said:

So then why should they be in a megawad in the first place? They might as well be all released seperatly.

Instead of Alien Vendetta we should have had Alien Vendetta wads 1 through 32, each one containing a duplicate of the interpic, title pic, menu graphics and intermission music as well as the extra textures in the wad, and then each time somebody wants to play the next level we'll force them to quit the game and change the wad loaded.

Or we'll save everybody's time, bandwidth and harddrive space by sticking them all in the same wad. People then even get the option to play progressively if they want to break the balance of a number of maps or take up the endurance challenge of a "movie" attempt. Everybody wins.

@DuckReconMajor:

I think we might be arguing the same thing. I'm saying that levels from megawads should be playable from a pistol start but also not suck when played with weapons from the previous levels.

@Melon:

I think that the first three Community Chests didn't have texture packs, so if your not supposed to play the levels continuously then why shouldn't they all be released separately without any connection.

Processingcontrol said:

@Melon:

I think that the first three Community Chests didn't have texture packs, so if your not supposed to play the levels continuously then why shouldn't they all be released separately without any connection.

It's a logistics issue, one wad > 32+ wads. All the maps were created for the one project by the community, if the maps were released separately then it would 32 independent releases.

xvertigox said:

Are there any wads actually designed for pistol starts on each map?

Pretty much all community wads are like that, it's rather impossible to keep the original mapper's vision for gameplay while trying to balance against the previous maps' items.

With that said, if the wad's readme says the maps are designed for pistol start that's the only way I play (it usually translates to "If you bring weapons and ammo the maps will be too easy and you're just a smelly cheater"). If it doesn't say that, I usually play consecutively and maybe later play the maps from pistol start.