Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squonk

DOOM II demos [-complevel 2]

Thanks again,

youtube video already got 300+ views, that was quick, my plutonia run is still just above a 100 ^^

anyways, I'll make a decission for what WAD to run next in some weeks time I think, because I need to figure out just how good the different runs are. I'm not sure I would want to dedicate too much time to for example TNT since the run is almost twice as long as doom 2. And since I don't really start doing single segment attempts before I have every single corner of the game figured out, I fear it would require a lot of time. So, if I figure out I could put much less effort into any of the wads and still get close to the record then that might motivate me.

For example, I already know of map 17 (glide) and 21 can save a lot of time on TNT, but all the :) you put in the 30ev4434 txt scares me a bit j4rio :D

I also want to try some nightmare, this time I might be a bit more prepared for it compared to last time which was pretty much the first time I used mouse for doom.

Then there are PWADS like memento mori and scythe... currently doing my casual playthrough of MM... and I can't find my way out of map 4, lol. E3 of scythe looks really annoying for a speedrun, but at least the wad is quite short.

So in summary, it will depend on how much time I want and need to invest to learn the run or I might instead put that effort towards improving doom2\plutonia times instead.

Worst timing ever I guess, but could somebody please tell me why demos desync when I go: prboom-plus -playdemo doom2-demo.wad -iwad d:/wads/DOOM2.WAD? (I have 2.5.1.3)

Secondly, I watched about half of your demo on YT Zero Master and, well, congratulations on a fabulous run. :) Seriously those rocket jumps, just as one example, blew me away, hehe. How strange that your Plutonia run hardly gets any attention though.

It almost seems as if j4rio is slipping away under the radar as a result though - getting a bunch of UV-Maxes even now is really impressive. And that's why I really want to fix the desync :P

Doom 2 Map22 UV-Speed in 00:34.46

Again I did an IL, I got really lucky with the glide (I don't even do the glide like that normally), the quality of the demo feels kinda bad, as I only spent a minute on it. Obviously should have reset after missing the first switch, but I just wanted to practice first. Then I would have figured out that trying to kill the chaingunner with plasma was a bad idea, but instant glide just happens so rarely that I can't be bothered to improve it for now.

Some update on my movie runs: over a week ago I got my first sub 22 exit for doom 2.... the time was.... 21:55 (pain elemental followed by 2 arachnotrons from IoS, lol), exact same time as Looper, but I had a lot of high end millisecond maps so I was 5.6 seconds behind counting milliseconds. Took a break from doom 2 after that and started practicing TNT instead.

lv22-034.zip

Doom 2 Map 22 NM100S in 00:39.09

Couldn't leave this one alone without getting a successful jump.
I feel bad about leaving this .10 from a second shorter, but this
run is filled with too many rng factors, very difficult to get everything just right.

ns22-039.zip

Doom 2 Map 14 UV-Speed in 00:14.89

Previous record by sedlo was 20 seconds, so 6 second improvement.

Credits to Looper for this trick.

I don't think I will include this in 30uv attempts when I start again, since it's hard to setup up really quickly and if you fail to SR50 your run is over, if you fail SR50 when you try to rocket jump you have the time to correct it at the cost of a few seconds. However, it should save quite some plasma ammo, so this would be a lot better if you can get it consistent.

lv14-014.zip

Heh, I was wondering when this trick will rear its ugly head. It's weird as hell.

No, I would not think so, 30uv1402 by RamboBones has a time of 7 seconds, while Looper has 9 seconds (pistol start however) in his TAS. It's because you have to wait for the platform to go back up and the 30uv run doesn't have to pick up the RL.

Lingyan203 said:

Map02 UV -Fast in 2:15

An early out-of-sync demo for me: please check your doom2.wad

Must have been recorded on the 1.666 iwad (plays back OK to the end with that).

Congratulations! Feels like it's been years since the last new member of the D2S club.
Nice tense ending to the run, too.

Congratulations, nice to see another exit for 30nm, so there are 3 people doing 30nm now!

I was curious about what you would submit to agdq 16 when you mentioned it, but I guess this might answer that, as it seems like the perfect choice :)

So I assume you might be spending more time on 30nm, have you considered looking into all the different tricks that are possible? Map 7 rocket jump might be the hardest, but seeing you have to deal with all those respawns I think that with practice it will make map 7 easier. Then there are map 16,21 and 22 glides as well as the trick displayed for map 14 by eLim a few posts above, who is also doing 30nm, which makes the map both faster and less likely to die.

Not really, I haven't paid too much attention to the tricks. As you may have guessed, I'm still a little shaky on my knowledge of the last few maps. You are right that this seems like the perfect choice. My current goal is to be more consistent, and also I would like to be able to do any map from a pistol start in case I make a mistake. Actually if anything I think map27 would be a good place to add a trick. I should also practice the jump on map30, and see if I can get 3 rockets in 1 trip with some regularity. I have looked into the map21 glide in the past, which is not too difficult with the method that Vince uses of lining it up and doing strafe50. I'm not sure however if playing on competition doom would make this harder. Thanks for mentioning AGDQ. It really means a lot to me when people support me for doing this for my friend.

You can just use saves at AGDQ, imo the only concern should be consistency (in order to avoid loading every 15seconds in hard spots), there's no real need to practice pistol starts unless you feel like adding a self-imposed challenge. And yeah, i support this choice too, would be awesome to see you performing there, i'll definitely donate if that happens.

Doom can be pretty nasty considering you get a single run and it's in front of an audience, no shame in saving tbh. I think flow of the overall run is far more fun for the audience than trying to be a badass and do pistol starts.

xit-vono said:

I have looked into the map21 glide in the past, which is not too difficult with the method that Vince uses of lining it up and doing strafe50.

on NM the SR50 glide is quite difficult since you have a very small time frame to do it in before you get owned by the -fast projectiles. My method is to kill the imps on the left, dive back into the teleporter to avoid some of the incoming projectiles then come back out and do Looper's glide. I've attached a demo to show how Looper does it.
Note that having vertical mouse enabled makes this glide a lot harder, so perhaps it's not for everyone.

nm21-glide.zip

eLim said:

Note that having vertical mouse enabled makes this glide a lot harder, so perhaps it's not for everyone.

Same goes with the vince's method