Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squonk

DOOM II demos [-complevel 2]

Doom 2 d2all NM-Speed in 29:25

This is a 14 second improvement over the previous 6 year old record by Henning.

Doom 2 UV-speed and Plutonia NM-speed has prepared me well for this, I was also trying to learn this run before I did 30pn4357, so it's been a while since I started. There has been a lot of work put into the 30nm over the years by many people, it's been 17 years since the first run in 49 minutes and 49 seconds by Thomas Pilger. So with previous runs to learn from and new tricks that have been discovered in doom, it gets a bit easier to do these single segment runs.

A list of previous 30nm runs can be found here:
http://www.doom.com.hr/index.php?page=compet-n_database&cndb=1&wad_id=2&category_id=2&map_id=244&player_id=

With all the new tricks that can be included, a time of 29:25 is not very good, but I think I should have died about 10 times during this demo.

Map 27 was really something, I feel really stupid after what happened there:
When I do UV-speed I don't need to be in some other section of the map for the arch vile to open the door, so I can obviously just see when he opens it. In the case of nightmare, I need to hear him open the door, because if I run the moment he opens the door I should make it by around 2 seconds to spare. I didn't really think I would get this far today and I didn't really think about map 27, so I was listening to music a bit too loud. When I went through the teleporter next to the arch-vile that was when I realized what was about to happen, there was absolutely no way I would ever hear him open that door! "SHIT, I DON'T HAVE ANY SOUND!!!"

I was trying to listen very carefully, and all I could really do was to watch as the timer got higher and higher, essentially meaning the run is too slow, so I decided at some random point that I would just have to go for it, as if I waited longer it wouldn't even matter. I was in shock when I saw that the door was open, and that it stayed open until I could get through. I am not sure, but I think he opened it right after I started running. This was probably the luckiest moment I've ever had in doom speedrunning!

As I might have mentioned before in some earlier .txt for other demos, 30nm2939 was the demo I watched on youtube some 3 years ago that got me into running doom, took another 2 years before I picked it up myself. So I feel a bit bad replacing this wonderful record with such a bad run :) as most of these tricks should make it both faster and easier. So obviously I will keep going with this one until I get something I'm happy with, though nightmare isn't very forgiving, I might have to take what I can get at some point, but at least below 27 minutes would be a goal that should be manageable when I improve at the early levels (or nightmare in general) and especially the route needs quite some work.

I might upload this to youtube, but my upload speed is a bit slow for the next couple of weeks, so I will probably just throw a lower quality video up during the night and have it up by tomorrow or something. Someone should upload xit-vono's run, haven't seen cyberdemon531 lately so maybe MD922, as I would do it but internet too slow :)

30nm2925.zip

DOOM II D2ALL NM-Speed in 28:39

Wooooooo!
After seeing Zero-Master finish his run and still feeling antsy from dying on Map30 only one day before that, I got some crazy motivation to really drill the game out.
10 hours later and I finally got that exit!

Some epic fails in this demo. Need to work hard on my movement/BFG usage before I go back to routing on this one.

Edit:
Uploaded to YouTube for those who'd rather it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4msN4LaAuo

30nm2839.zip

Awesome, very nice!

My record didn't even get to stand for a day, but that was to be expected considering how close you've been already :D

You never really get to map 16 with a lot of health, so going for the invurnability is always so risky. I think that maybe with some well placed BFG's and good positioning you can avoid any damage and also save time. Which route for map 8-10 that is easiest\fastest is also interesting to look at, and a lot of other things, so much work to do with it still :)

Will be fun to see how far we can push the time for this one!
And 3x30nm in a couple of days, who would have thought that? :)

wow grats to both of you lol
but enough for today ive spent too much of weekend watching demos already ahah

I felt like eLim's run was the result of a lot more attempts somehow, like he planned and tried it over thousand times (im sure zero did too anyway), but it looked to me more polished. great movement some of the BFG shoots were for sure tested 4milions times

map6: I liked that they took BFG in diff maps, how unlucky in map6 he was, and how he was "surprised" being trapped twice there (he didnt react that quick on such unexpected mob). He made an awesome jump-change on the way to lvl6 exit too

map10: ending with cyber being the exitguard was funny too.

map13: almost as confirm of the intensive training, felt strange picking the zerk at end with 94% health (you probably arrive more injured I bet lol)

map14:different approach of the superjump to the exit, got it really quick

map19: diff route, i dont recall others passing there, why did you pick 2 keys instead of only one and glide? is it more difficult than other glides?

map 23: I bet you asked yourself if you really survived, same as in map25 at the megasphere with 3%

map 29: I'd have taken a couple seconds too breathing deep and checking time at intermission like you

map 30: oh well, max respect, I always fail way longer in those rocket in head games..

anyway, was a pleasure to watch both vids

I said it in the Final Doom thread already, but 2015 is definitely the year of the Nightmare speedrun. Really impressive job guys! In particular that Map 14 exit was really nice.

Doom 2 d2all NM-Speed in 27:21

Over 2 minutes faster than my previous time and 1:18 improvement over the previous record by eLim.

The last maps didn't go too well, so I didn't quite manage to get below 27 minutes. Next goal would be to get below 27 minutes, and then eventually improving the route and execution to aim for sub 26 minutes one day. Though I might go back to 30uv soon.

I'll upload this to youtube, but it's gonna take a couple of days because of slow upload speed and video quality will not be so good.

... I was actually hoping this would be an exit after I did underhalls, because that shotgunner killing himself by shooting the barrel was hilarious! :)

30nm2721.zip

Insane! I'll watch it soon and edit with some comments :D
Probably a couple of weeks until I can start playing 30nm again, so you'll have to wait ;)

Edit: That was pretty smooth! Other than map6 and map27 that was pretty dang good :D I love that map16 strategy btw, seems much easier than going for that invuln.

Barney broke my heart on map27 though, that was some seriously bad luck

Thanks, at least the arch vile didn't go through the teleporter :)

Map 16 works great, had way to many close calls going for invurnability, I also use a different method for the glide that sometimes works well like it did here.

Memfis said:

?!?! NM D2ALL record beaten twice in two days? How do I even comprehend this?

missed that one and saw it now... amazing

#DooM Weekly IL Competition Season 1 Week 6

Map 22 Tyson

1st: 4shockblast 1:58
 2nd: Mattyice    4:34
Competition has pretty much dried up, so this is probably the last week of the season, thanks to all the participants. I'll post final results in the original thread.

wilcs1w6.zip

I am quite sure you didn't notice Cyberdemon531, but doom2-max-episode1-0251429 is a CNDoom demo, which includes milliseconds in the overall time. The actual time was 25:10 (25:14:29), so a total of 4.29 seconds were added on from the milliseconds at the end of the maps.

So you tied the record, I also played your demo back in CNDoom and it showed a time of 25:14.34, so, you are actually 0.05 seconds behind.

Perhaps it was the quick glimpse at the advanced hud in prboom+ that cost you the time ;)

Edit: Since the demo is not posted here, you can find it here: http://www.doom.com.hr/index.php?page=download&cndb=10&record_id=100065 (demo is by Konceptz)

That's actually kind of... stupid. Is there different final time of multiple maps counted in cndoom than in different ports? Presumably every single different port including vanilla?

The CNDoom database uses milliseconds, this is to encourage for competition beyond the optimal time in whole seconds. For example, it's impossible to beat lv01-005, but I think Sedlo has the fastest time with 5.49

For runs that go beyond single maps (episodes\movies) it will obviously give a different time in seconds if those milliseconds adds up to more than a second. For the CNDoom database I use that naming convention, but I still give the "normal" name when I post here at doomworld. (For example 30uv1959 is doom2-speed-movie-0201371 in the CNDoom database)

In this case Cyberdemon531 did a prboom\glboom demo, and so the CNDoom database (and millisecond time) is irrelevant. Therefor the comparison should be between the usual whole seconds only time. All you need to know is that the CNDoom database demos includes those milliseconds. This is really the only case (so far) since all other CNDoom episodes\movies are by me and I use time without millseconds when I post here.

Also CNDoom doesn't list total time in intermission screen, it outputs a file with all the times (and total time).

Wow... millisecs added up in an ep max... I question sanity of this solution.

Yeah, sorry Cyb, I am not going to bother downloading the max movie you worked hard on because it doesn't beat the current one by an attosecond. I suggest that next time you check an atomic clock at certain frames of the demo in order to get the best possible time.