Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squonk

DOOM II demos [-complevel 2]

map 24 nomo in 35 seconds.

I decided to grab the blue key rather than jump into the radiation. It was quite fun playing the map this way. 

lvl24-035.zip

That's pretty good. I would say the only real mistake in the run was the way you handled your path with the first teleporter. The rest would be just finetuning your movement to be more precise. And of course the walljump is not that fun to do under nomonsters the fast way, so I am just ignoring how you handled it. I recommend not using the walljump at all, but of course you can do it if your aim is to do the map as fast as possible. It's of course a good map for the movement practice, a bit harsh though.

Hey Looper! Thanks for the feedback. I know the first run along the ledges to the first teleporter was pretty sloppy. I'll keep grinding that map for a while to practice my movement. I'll probably take your advice and stop doing the walljump to keep things fun. I was doing it mostly for practice at getting the angle quickly (although I'm assuming there is a faster and more reliable way to do that trick). 

MAP21 nomo in 0:16

MAP21 pacifist in 0:27

Nomo is for route practicing.

For pacifist: slightly faster elevator cycle saves some time, more info in txt file.

lv21o016.zip

lv21p027.zip

10 hours ago, Looper said:

D2ALL UV-Speed in 18:31

30uv1831.zip

The true king of DOOM II has regained the throne. There's always something so satisfying about Looper's movement.

Zero-Master next up to the plate?

7 hours ago, Ktatt said:

MAP24 NoMo in 0:35  -  This time without using the walljump

no243569.zip

Good job! With the walljump the pace should be around 32.63 or 32.66

In my opinion, uv-respawn shouldn't require 100% secrets, hence I made my own category called (assuming the name is not already taken):

UV-FaRe: It is identical to UV-respawn with TWO exceptions: you play with -fast parameter AND you do NOT need to get 100% secrets.

Map25 UV-FaRe (UV-respawn w/ -fast, no secrets) 1:16

If you ask me, UV-max and UV-fast are a bit too similar categories, sure there are maps where they differ completely. UV-respawn would be really nice category, but the main problem is that you are forced to pick shitty secrets like in UV-max, making it very similar to UV-max. That is again just my opinion, but I wanted to make a category (Yippii! New categories! As if there wasn't enough already), that differs as much as possible from the UV-max: FAST, RESPAWN and NO secrets. This SHOULD make it more interesting as you can just cycle some certain areas instead of being forced to use pretty much the same route as in UV-max, where the only change is pretty much skipping the big enemies.

In this demo, I DID take 100% secrets, but as you can see, I could have saved a couple more seconds by skipping the empty secret. The secret was not required for my own-made "UV-FaRe" category. Why did I take it? Because I wanted to show, that the category differs the most by time-wise from the UV-max category even without changing the route (when comparing to UV-fast and UV-respawn), AND it would differ route-wise too if not picking the secret (and then even more by time!). In my opinion, both UV-respawn and UV-fast are joke categories and should not exist at all with the current rules.

fare25-116.zip

Edited by Looper

2 hours ago, Looper said:

UV-FaRe: It is identical to UV-respawn with TWO exceptions: you play with -fast parameter AND you do NOT need to get 100% secrets.

UV Fair Nose

Maybe one day there'll be UV NoSe for No Secret? lol  BTW, I don't know UV -respawn needs to tag secrets... Nice to know.

I wanted to say if there's a "max kill without any secret" category, it would be interesting to see since you usually have a lot of extra resources from secret to make your run easier in some of the cases. However, then I realize you can't get max kill in quite some maps without tagging any secret...

Edited by GarrettChan

@GarrettChan100% kills 0% secrets exists and it's called Anti-Sherlock. Check out 2002ADO E3M6. I also play this way for my own map testing and I know eschdoom and probably many others did the same.

1 hour ago, vdgg said:

@GarrettChan100% kills 0% secrets exists and it's called Anti-Sherlock. Check out 2002ADO E3M6. I also play this way for my own map testing and I know eschdoom and probably many others did the same.

Oh nice. Doom is such a deep thing that I feel I'm ignorant right now ;P

It's kind of interesting that if I'm ever going to test a map, this is the standard I'm going to use. In other word, I always put secrets in a position that they help the players to pass the level easier, not a necessity. While I was testing for Wolf3D maps, this is the standard I'm using to see whether the resources are balanced.

BTW... this opens my door to run more meme (maybe not really) categories other than UV Max/Reality... Then Andy will kill me because everything labels weirdly.

Edited by GarrettChan

1 hour ago, kraflab said:

Why not just do nm100k?

I was thinking about this, but there's 0 thinking required for the ammo managment then.