Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squonk

DOOM II demos [-complevel 2]

Due to the fantastic recent runs by eLim & Zero Master, I decided to compare a bunch of times. I compared each level time from the past 7 Doom 2 UV-Speed records (all the ones under 19:00) to add the fastest times and determine a composite "sum of bests". This time is 17:35. 

Of course, not exactly hugely useful info since comparing runs to the cumulative sum of the best times ever isn't really practical or sensible... but I was interested to know what the time was anyway. 

The other issue is that this number reflects only the best level times in the 7 runs I compared, and we don't know the best times that Zero Master or eLim have achieved in practice or attempts - but we do know this info for Looper, who helpfully included his best times in 30uv attempts in his 18:31 .txt file (and also mentioned that some of those times were "at least that fast", meaning some *might* be faster). When those times are also taken into consideration, the "sum of best" time is 17:02. 

5 hours ago, Alaux said:

What's with that Map32 demo?

It’s a [impse] [glide], lets you hit a switch from farther than you usually can. Very precise trick, zero master uses it in his 30uv run on a few levels. 

Edited by PartyCrasher

11 minutes ago, PartyCrasher said:

Trick name was wrong

Still wrong, it's called zero press.

Wow, there's an auto replace. I thought these forums were serious business now.

7 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Still wrong, it's called zero press.

Wow, there's an auto replace. I thought these forums were serious business now.

You can’t change it either? Strange lol

You need to add in blockers like

[b][/b]

if you want to use the real name. Yes, it's dumb. If you then edit the post, you'll need to edit them back in too.

Yeah, this filter is super dumb, but you can also trivially circumvent it by using other charsets, e.g., imрse glide. It will mess up Google searches and copying if someone were to do that, I guess, but will look normal. 

5 hours ago, PartyCrasher said:

It’s a [impse] [glide], lets you hit a switch from farther than you usually can. Very precise trick, zero master uses it in his 30uv run on a few levels. 

Hm, when I play the demo it doesn't even get to end the level. Could be because I'm using BFG WADs.

Talking about that, for Map31 and 32 which WAD should I use? Og one and Final Doom have SS, but BFG (and also Steam I think) has Zombiemen

4 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Hm, when I play the demo it doesn't even get to end the level. Could be because I'm using BFG WADs.

Talking about that, for Map31 and 32 which WAD should I use? Og one has SS, but BFG (and also Steam I think) has Zombiemen

Use the original wad files for any doom run. I don’t think that bfg runs are valid, and that’s also probably the reason why my map 32 demos probably don’t work. Also, the steam wads are the original ones

3 hours ago, PartyCrasher said:

Use the original wad files for any doom run. I don’t think that bfg runs are valid, and that’s also probably the reason why my map 32 demos probably don’t work. Also, the steam wads are the original ones

But by what I know the Doom 2 WAD from Steam has Zombiemen instead of the SS that appear on the 90's release(s), unless those are actually retextured SS. The thing that concerns me is that SS are tougher than Zombiemen.

Also, the only thing in which BFG WADs differ from the originals (as far as I know) are the red crosses being replaced by pills, NRFTL for Doom 2 and Map33

Doom 2 Map1 0:05.80 (skill 4)

Recorded in GLBoom 2.5.1.4cl2

Includes 3 bonus demos with 5 sec on other 3 skills.

SR50 wasn't used in any of these demos.

This is also my first proper kind of attempt at a normal speedrun demo and will likely be the last one as I'm more into TAS.

lv01uv580.zip

@Alauxare you using the doom 3 bfg edition wad or the one from doom 2 hell on earth (packaged in 2007), i use that wad and wolfenstein + grosse levels appear like they should. the filesize + md5 hash is the same as in my anthology 1.9 floppy install so yeah, you must be using the wad from bfg or something

On 3/1/2020 at 3:56 PM, alps said:

@Alauxare you using the doom 3 bfg edition wad or the one from doom 2 hell on earth (packaged in 2007), i use that wad and wolfenstein + grosse levels appear like they should. the filesize + md5 hash is the same as in my anthology 1.9 floppy install so yeah, you must be using the wad from bfg or something

Yeah, I was using BFG. Unless I try Map33 I'll use Steam or Final Doom doom2.wad

final doom doesn't have a doom2.wad, it has its own iwads (it runs on id's modified exe which defines tnt.wad or plutonia.wad as an iwad properly)

you'll have to get doom2.wad itself (original 1.9 is 14,263 mb) so be aware, thats the wad you need for acceptable runs

MAP02 UV Fast+Reality! in 2:50 (no previous record)

Demo: fa02real250.zip
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu5SAq_ZNrE

A no-damage run on Underhalls, full of hit-scanners + fast monsters... what an RNG grind! There are some strategies to try and play it safe, such as using corners for cover, and killing shotgunners from a distance to reduce the chance of them hitting you. But still 80% of this run was luck-based. Still a fun challenge though.

Another failed attempt from the 1000 records month. This one was beatable; but very frustrating: I gave up too soon. After coming back to this I managed to beat it in about an hour.

MAP11 UV Fast in 2:32.77 (was 2:36.86 by Radek Pecka, 2002)

Demo: fa11-232.zip
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG6C75tFQN8

The Circle of Death... what a massacre! Especially at the beginning with all the hitscanners, and then in the blue key area; there are so many things that can go wrong. The beginning of this run was horrible; I was on the verge of resetting. But after getting the red key until the end, everything went really well.