Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

The DooMed Speed Demos Archive returns!

I sent this to news@doomworld.com, but that was almost two days ago, so I figured I'd just cut out the middle man and post it here.

The DSDA is back and revived at: http://doomedsda.us/

The News section is just for, well...news, and updates there will probably be infrequent. The Updates section is where the new demo additions will appear, listing all demos posted within thirty days of the most recent update.

Enjoy!

Nice. It looks like there's some kind of database backend now? I know Opulent always wanted to put together something like that.

justanotherfool: Your new demos are posted, along with both the archive and "bugfix" versions of 1024.

The Green Herring: I received your eMails and have begun entering the demos into the database. They should (hopefully) be up within a few days.

Ryback: Yes, the site is now run from a backend. That's the biggest improvement and the primary reason for the redesign. I just can't imagine trying to organize a thousand individual HTML files. I much prefer simply entering the demos into the database, hitting a button that says "update" and having the rest of the work done for me.:-)

tatsurd: I got your demos. Re: placement of the comments, putting them next to the time(in the same cell) could make the table too wide. In addition, separating rating/Also xxx from the rest of the comments would require a new field in the database, and the work would have to be done manually.

Comments were the one part of the table design I struggled with, and putting them underneath the rest of the listing was the best option in terms of keeping the tables clean, organized and consistent. The two different shades of red for the background were intended to make the identification of what comment goes with what demo easy.

There was one other option, where I wanted to have a cell with just the word "Comments" in it. The actual comments would be displayed in a small window when the mouse pointer hovered over it. After some thinking I decided it would be better to just have them displayed along with the rest of the page.

Some things I should mention:

The Icarus TAS movie is actually by Alexander Nikulin (jongo), not Andrey Budko. He just forgot to put his name in the text file.

The level "atica" is by Brett Meyer. Strangely, this information is conveyed in the text file viewable from the Doomworld idgames frontend, but not in the text file in the .zip file. That doesn't stop the level from being shitty, though. :P

The level "zone13" is by Wayne Conner. At the time the demo was sent in, Never_Again had not known who the author was, as the WAD he used did not come with a text file. However, a version with a text file was uploaded by funduke in 2005 and may be found here.

No problem!

But wait! There's more!:

The level "chump" is by Todd Smith. It is one of two files available in this package, which both seem to be the same level. Weird.

The KEEP.WAD that Jason Henry did a max demo on (listed as "keep_1" on the site) is by Kurt Dillard. The original version, without the Megadeth MIDI that Jason threw in, can be found here. This was actually explained by Grazza in the misc. demos thread, but I wanted to mention it here as well since the author name hasn't been updated on the DSDA.

For "airwlk2": "Mike's version of this wad" was uploaded to idgames in 2004. If you want to get the original, unmodified AIRWALK.WAD by Nobutake Nakamura, you can find it here. You can update the wad name and author information on the DSDA with those of the original if you want to, especially given that the modified AIRWALK2.WAD has literally no differences other than having completely pointless sound and graphics replacements. :)

TGH: Fixed, fixed and fixed, again.:-)

I've decided to use this thread to report when new demos are added, as I hope to update at least once a week and the DW front page doesn't need to be filled up with DSDA updates.

With that in mind, there are around 100 new demos from TGH and another 20 or so from tatsurd-cacocaco. Enjoy!

Thanks! :D I hope having to add 100+ demos from one guy didn't get you annoyed at me. :P

Additional error-reporting and other stuff because I like to nitpick:

• tatsurd's TAS on "1monster" MAP24 is erroneously listed as an E2M4 demo.
  • MethoD's UV speed demo on "marswar" MAP16 is listed as 0:32 on the site, in the text file, and in the filename... but it's actually 0:34. No, really! Watch the demo to find out for yourself! (And that's not even mentioning that his 0:42 UV speed on MAP25 of the same wad is actually just a copy of his UV max demo... heh)
  • The reason my "icarus" MAP13 and MAP30 .zips "contain two (time) demos" is because the other demo is an NM speed demo. :)
Hopefully, I can get you a player profile at some point in the future.

TGH: All fixed. Nitpicking is good when dealing with a new site. After entering over 8200 records by hand, a few inaccuracies are to be expected.:-)

I wonder if anyone still has Method's Marswar 0:42 UV Speed...

And don't worry about sending all those demos. It just means the older ones will get put off a bit longer. Keep up the good work!:-)

It's good to see this back! Just one question: What do the three rating numbers mean? I used to know, but I forgot and I can't find a legend.

Another hundred or so demos from the backlog have been posted. Especially notable are several -fast runs of some of the hardest HR2 maps. Check 'em out.

ultdoomer: The rating system Opulent used was: Speed / Overall Quality / Difficulty of Run. I've added it toward the top of the Info page. Thanks for the reminder.

It might be useful if you could browse by player as well as map (like maybe click on a player in the player section and see all demos from that player) if there's not already a way to do this (since some particularly skilled players have particularly great demos).

And another 100 demos are up! Among those included are Icarus, Kama Sutra, Memento Mori II and Mock2.

gggmork: Browse By Player should be added soon. It shouldn't require too much work, but right now I want to focus on getting the database up to date.

I spotted another mistake, I believe. blastem2 supposedly has a maxdemo by Opulent in 4:42, but upon watching it I discovered it isn't actually a maxdemo, or even close. UV-Speed is more like it.

Does anyone have the original Sept. 20, 2006 release of laborv2? The author updated the wad in January 2007, a month before its page on the original DSDA was uploaded, and this version is what is currently on the DSDA. The end result is that none of Anima Zero's demos for the level play back correctly. Hopefully, Anima Zero still has the original version, so that we can still watch his demos for it...

Well, I just found laborv2's original Sept. 2006 release on the Doom Wad Station's outdated idgames mirror. :) For covenience's sake, here's a direct link. As far as I can tell, all four demos play back on this version without desyncs, and it should thus be included with the version present on the DSDA. (As laborv2_anima? laborv2_az? laborv2_bn? ;) )

See, this is what happens when you update a wad without announcing it anywhere except in its idgames comments list.

The category error on blastem2 is fixed and the laborv2 link has been updated to include both WADs. Thanks!:-)

Now then, does anyone know where to find the old version of MAP30P? Grazza has an older LMP that I'd like to post, but it desyncs with the current version(dated 11/17/04).

A small suggestion: maybe it would be a good idea to add map names as well as numbers for some of the multiple map wads? I'm thinking mainly of the 32 map megawads here.

The experienced speedrunners probably know a map by its number for almost every megawad, but the rest of us don't, and it makes it harder to decide which demos are worth watching.

justanotherfool: Individual map titles and author info was one of those "superfluous features" I mentioned in the initial update. My rationale for excluding it: the DSDA is a demo site and doesn't need a bunch of WAD info; plus, it doesn't offer enough added benefit relative to the amount of work it would take to implement it.

And, for all those who finished watching the last update's demos already, there's a new update to check out. Highlights include two complete NM Speed and NM100S collections for DooM2 courtesy of Radek, and a collection for the MegaWAD Realm of Chaos. There's also a pair of demos from a new player(Kimo Xvirus). Oh, and we just passed the 1000 WAD mark.:-)

Done with the last set of demos, yet? Just in case you are, there's another big update. Included are more new UV Speed Demonfear demos courtesy of Kimo, a few new demos from The Green Herring, and most(if not all) of the backlog of Scythe 2 demos.

Heh, I e-mail you my latest demos and they end up on the site about 4 hours later. ;) Neat.

I have two almost-full megawad UV speed packs that just need a few more levels recorded on to be full, but I'm not sure when they'll be complete. Some of the undone levels (and some of the done ones) aren't very demo-friendly at all...

Andy, would it be possible for you to update the archive to reflect that all my demos have been using the kills/secrets/items counter in prboom-plus, which I guess makes them TAS? Or feel free to remove them if that would be more convenient.

If you play maps where there are about 1000 monsters or over, I think you permit to use it as long as you write it on a txt file, there are such maps which are allowed in compet-N though. (I was annoying with situation that every monsters haven't been dead in av25)

Actually, Ryback said that he used it for this demo on his kf28 txt.
Or, is the more clear rule provided?

I almost use doom2.exe not to doubt me as long as pwads can be executed by it.

I think it's worth mentioning that (and honest to do so) because it gives you an advantage over people who don't use those extra features (definitely those using Doom), although that's a mild type of tool assistance compared what's usually considered TAS (rerecording, slow motion, building, and automatic sr50) so there's no need to move any such demos to the TAS section just for that.