Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

The DooMed Speed Demos Archive returns!

92 demos this week.

Didier: They both work fine for me with the WAD dated 2013-07-05 13:51. Try not using the DEH file on the MAP05 demo.

Springy: Fixed. Thanks!

Couldn't find the relevant information so I'm posting here.

If a map requires GZDoom and also needs Freelook due to the design is it ok to use it along with Rocket Jumping for speed tactics?

I'd say it's fair game then. I'd exploit the hell out of rocket jumps, given a chance.

I think TOD's AV09 max needs a note like "almost reality (gets hurt by acid)" or, as he says, "r3ality" so that people wouldn't ignore it just because there are faster max demos. And why his AV01 max was put on the first release page? It seems to play back fine with the second release.

Krypto: I've never heard of any kind of standard rules for GZDoom demos, so I think you should play however you want but make some effort to explain your ruleset (what is allowed, what is not) so that the viewers could judge it better.

Oh I was only referring to MAP30 in one wad, it's some funny slaughter onset but needs careful infighting and tactics but the actual IOS needs to be killed with freelook because theirs no pedestal.

Doesn't seem to be a Lost Doomer's thread so any word on what happened to both Angus and Qaatar?

Angus was my main inspiration for making UV -Fast Demos, lunatic did both Scythe I and II MAP30 on UV -Fast as well as many HR2 -Fast demos.

A couple of things on the ksutra table for map23:<ul><li>Kristian's NM100 is not "Also Pacifist". Also, the single secret in this map is completely unavoidable; I'm not sure if you normally distinguish between NM and NM100 in that case.</li><li>My Pacifist in 0:30 is a Stroller.</li></ul>

Bloodite Krypto said:
any word on what happened to ... Angus

Angus has visited the forums in the last month.

Qaatar lost interest in doom, or something.

Also, Null is almost certainly TendaMonsta, I guess it's pretty safe to merge their accounts (feel free to proove me wrong with IP check).

So Unholy Realms will be released soon and I've been thinking about something. There are many maps that can be finished in like 4-5 seconds, so getting an "optimal" time on them should be fairly easy. Now, in that new version of compet-N we have results with milliseconds, which is pretty cool because you can't just submit a 5.99 run on map01 and be on top forever anymore. Any chance of the same happening on DSDA? It could lead to some very interesting competition on small maps. Of course, people could maintain their own tables with milliseconds counted but on DSDA it would be more "official" or something, well, you know what I mean. Maybe milliseconds could be enabled only for demos that are short enough (<30 seconds for example) to make maintaining easier. What do you think Andy? (and would anyone be interested in that at all?)

Memfis said:

So Unholy Realms will be released soon and I've been thinking about something. There are many maps that can be finished in like 4-5 seconds, so getting an "optimal" time on them should be fairly easy. Now, in that new version of compet-N we have results with milliseconds, which is pretty cool because you can't just submit a 5.99 run on map01 and be on top forever anymore. Any chance of the same happening on DSDA? It could lead to some very interesting competition on small maps. Of course, people could maintain their own tables with milliseconds counted but on DSDA it would be more "official" or something, well, you know what I mean. Maybe milliseconds could be enabled only for demos that are short enough (<30 seconds for example) to make maintaining easier. What do you think Andy? (and would anyone be interested in that at all?)

I'd say that it might be an interesting feature, but the difficulty is that the DSDA hosts a lot of different kinds of demos, and it could cause quite a bit of confusion. Traditional Compet-N demos, for instance, are still counted only by the number of seconds, and I don't know if there's any way of extracting that kind of information from a ZDoom or GZDoom demo. There's also runs of many levels that have no final centisecond time, so they would either have to be ignored or the individual level times would have to be available somewhere. It would also be difficult to implement (I could envision some code that could speed up the process, but it still would probably run awhile and would need special cases for runs with multiple bonus demos zipped in and demos recorded without the launch information embedded into them).

I do see a case for that kind of information being useful it it's available on the DSDA for TAS demos, since the exact time is rather important for TAS.

Memfis said:

milliseconds

Alternatively, you could keep track of the record time with millisecs on doomwiki. Crosslinking the wiki page with the DSDA page would probably be easier on Andy's todo list, haha. It'd also increase the wiki usage in the long run, helping us fight the wikia evil.

Maybe mark demos recorded with the aim of getting the best millisecond time as "MSM" (milliseconds matter). So the category would be "UV Speed MSM".

Otherwise there is scope for some awkwardness when someone "beats" a demo recorded by a player who wasn't seeking the best millisecond time.

So, e.g., Sedlo's old 6.97 remains the regular UV Speed record (he could probably have got it much lower if he had been trying for the best millisecond time...), while a new 6.88 becomes the UV Speed MSM record.

MSM demos could be marked as such in the text-file (in the "Category" line), and the file-name could include the millisecond time in an umambiguous notation. e.g. kp13-010_01003.zip would indicate a 10 second demo (the first 8 characters follow the normal naming convention) with a millisecond time of 0:10.03. In this way, people could produce MSM demos and then Andy could decide at a time of his choosing whether to add any features related to this, and all demos for which it applied could be found automatically.

I don't know if it's the right place to post this, but:
May be worth noting that J. Learn Shiore's 4:17 "UV Max" demo for 1monster MAP03 actually has only 94% kills.

Edit: Apparently, it's because a bug in the map in the original, non-bugfixed version of 1monster.wad caused some sergeant teleporters to not work correctly, resulting in just 94% or 99% of them appearing during play. So I guess it's not a problem actually.

88 demos this week.

JudgeDeadd: Fixed. Thanks!

As far as differentiating milliseconds goes, filenames are your best bet. Using four digits for times under a minute would work. In the past I've renamed these, but I don't have to.

fx02 said here:

I noticed one demo that's not compatible with lmpc, and when I opened it I saw it contains some data after demo end marker which means it's not a vanilla demo at all. Since COMPET-N was abandoned at time this was uploaded (late 2006) I'm just wondering if this was a mistake or Donatas didn't care and uploaded "cheated" demo?

Any more comments on this?

Andy Olivera said:

As far as differentiating milliseconds goes, filenames are your best bet. Using four digits for times under a minute would work. In the past I've renamed these, but I don't have to.

Yeah, that should work too I guess. But will you take milliseconds into account when sorting the demos or the first 0:59 demo will always appear on top even if there are faster demos, for example?

I'm pretty sure the name of the author of 8city2 is the same as his e-mail name mentioned in the text-file for the wad (i.e. "Jazz411"); a quick Google search of his e-mail address will lead to more wads in the /idgames archive with text files that list the same e-mail address and state his author name as "Jazz411."

62 demos this week.

All fixed since last update.

Memfis: Unfortunately, the demos can only be sorted by whole seconds, so you'll have to use the file names to differentiate.

If only I noticed that last secret haha! xD

Oh well, wouldn't be fun to speedrun any way, I anticipate a lot of running back and forth releasing stuff and coming back later, it was fun to blind play!

Hock's Sunder map 05 UV-Speed demo in 0:01 is a nomonsters demo.

Also, the NM 100 demos for Mockery are demos in NM-Max (i.e. killing all monsters in Nightmare), and there are no secrets on the map. Shouldn't they be marked as Other?