Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

The DooMed Speed Demos Archive returns!

Andy, BtSX E1 has been updated to version 1.1.2 and goddamit it's for the last time, heh. All the archived demos recorded on the 2017 releases/1.0+ should be fine and synced, except the pair of demos for map32. An unfortunate VPO fix. It should be safe to replace the file for the 2017 table and maybe only link v1.1.1 in the comment for the two fallen victims. Sorry for making your life miserable!

63 demos this week.

4shock: Not missed; ignored. I refuse to post a demo of a level that is nothing more than a nine minute lift ride.

Hi Andy. This is a big-picture question. If it requires research, please don't answer! :D

Ancient COMPET-N demos, disqualified as cheating by executive decisions over the years, apparently lack the "TAS" flag. Examples: 30nm6520e1m3c041, e1m5c059. Is this deliberate?

Obviously it would be almost impossible to do a systematic roundup -- most recordkeeping is undoubtedly gone (private email, chat, bulletin boards). I dimly remember that "c" in the file names signified "cheat", and that a readme was buried in the FTP portal to say so (BahdKo's rules mirror doesn't mention it), but that is also gone as are the emails between AdamH and me about rules...

Sorry if this has been debated and decided somewhere else already. (Honestly I have read most of the public material, excepting Opulent's news archive.)

Hope this makes some kind of sense, and that you still enjoy discussing this stuff because database omg amazing.

EDIT inb4 yes, the history has been previously mentioned, but the specific question above was not clarified: j4rioMD922

Edited by Xeriphas1994

On 6/13/2017 at 3:08 AM, kraflab said:

You could have them moved under the "Unknown" player, which already has 200 demos.  Most people's early demos are terrible or low-effort, etc, so I don't think you should feel ashamed about them.  It's part of the beautiful history of doom.  It lets people for instance watch shockblast's early demos and see that he was human once.  That's just my 2 cents.

It's entirely obvious that I'm the poster whose submissions regular viewers of this subforum are most apathetic about. There are probably also many people who think I'm the least skilled player too (I think this in particular is pretty far from the case -- but I get the sense it's thought). I get the sense that a specific time by me will be regarded less than 105-110% of that time by basically everyone else (and would be the case even if both were arrived at independently). I don't submit demos for praise, but palpable apathy or contempt is an unpleasant feeling nevertheless. And yeah, much of it is probably my fault for submitting lots of runs on silly maps, or submitting too regularly, so that nothing is interesting or a pleasant surprise. That's also part of why I regret that phase. :(

Just venting.  

Edited by rdwpa

dude... youre overthinking this. most demos are viewed by a very small amount of people, and that will always be the case for the vast majority of speedrunners. do the speedruns for yourself first and foremost. i did an aa02 no-mo a few days ago and enjoyed the process a lot. that's never going to get many downloads (i think the last check it was like 5 people or something - EDIT: lol actually 3 :D ) but i dont really care.

for what it's worth i dont think many people consider you unskilled at all - most speedrunners exhibit some skills whether its aim, movement, planning, style etc.

:)

*I read my post after finishing it, and I don't know what the frig I was talking about...

I guess pushing yourself too hard is unnecessary. Yeah, I posted some UV Max for Disjunction and I actually felt those runs are terrible, but hey, it's still "speedier" than uncompleted runs, and also the terrible 112 min CChest Map29 run. For me, I posted that is probably I want to celebrate a little bit and have a memory of those maps. I think Andy won't mind, I think...

Anyways, the time I was running BtSXE1 first few maps, I felt awful because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't even go close to the record time. It took me like 5~7 hours to finish a map, but to be honest, I think other speedrunners tried way harder than me in the process, so I shouldn't be complaining. Now I looked back and found that was some precious experience to me. Doom is actually an interestingly attractive game because you'll still find some flaws even you've beaten your previous PB due to the RNG, but it's difficult to fully eliminate that.

The only thing I can think of about this is that it's kind of difficult to communicate due to the high variety of WADs out there (probably it's also due to my ignorance). It's very difficult to post something other than "nice run" unless someone else runs the same thing. Therefore, the feeling of being not good would come from here, at least at my part.

50 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

i did an aa02 no-mo a few days ago and enjoyed the process a lot. that's never going to get many downloads (i think the last check it was like 5 people or something - EDIT: lol actually 3 :D ) but i dont really care.

Remember that the bulk of views will come after it is posted at DSDA, which won't register in the attachment download count. At least, I imagine that most people will watch them when they are nicely organized in the weekly update.

good point but i was just trying to make it clear that speedrunning for me is mostly about completing the runs for myself, obviously sharing them is cool but getting caught up in trying to make an 'entertaining demo for other people' to watch is a bad move imo if thats your primary motivation.

I can only speak for myself but the only reason I ever recorded any Doom gameplay was so that I could look back at gameplay of myself playing some of my favorite maps / wads. Also I often enjoy watching other people playing them.

So if I ignore a demo, it's mainly because I just don't care about the map and not even because of the lack of quality of a run and definitely not because of things like a runner's previous actions or the regularity of them posting something which seem completely illogical to me.

good point Nate - i regularly do not watch demos of maps i havent played for fear of ruining them

of course i frequently break this rule for stuff that i cant wait to see :p

77 demos this week.

Xeriphas: I don't know that I ever had a concrete reason for not labeling those TAS. Perhaps it's because the method was never clearly established or that the affected demos weren't all clearly labeled. If someone wants to put together a list of which ones were determined to be cheated I can tag them.

All fixed since last update. Thanks!

I hope this doesn't take too much work to correct...

Jakub Hornicak and psichotik are the same person.

Edit:

Also Sean Davies is the same person as Zan-zan-zawa-veia.

Edited by Keyboard_Doomer

Andy, could you perhaps remove my recent n222-322 (NDCP2 Map22 UV-Speed) demo? I will have to re-record as a few users reported that the demo can't play back properly. Thanks.

Vanguard map 06 pacifist is 35 seconds (txt says 37 but is wrong)

edit: a few coop records missing as well, found here: https://www.doom.com.hr/index.php?page=compet-n_database&cndb=2&wad_id=2&category_id=&map_id=&player_id=&h=&sort=&order=

doom 2 d2all uv-speed by vincent and radek (30cs2227)

doom 2 d2all uv-max by vincent and xitvono (30cm7057)

doom 2 d2all uv-fast by vincent and xitvono (30cf10645)

Edited by ZeroMaster010

stx-Vile's UV Max for hr2final MAP31 requires Spechits Overflow Emulation to be disabled.

The Doomworld links on the homepage are now dead. Here are working links:

How to Playback and Record Demos:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/18410-welcome-to-the-demos-forum-prboom-plus-usage-wad-and-irc-links-general-info/

Spechits, Reject and Intercepts Overflows:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/35214-spechits-reject-and-intercepts-overflow-lists/

There is a really old demo of mine for Doom 2 MAP20, a TAS pacifist in 0:53 that I just discovered is not truly a pacifist (I telefrag a pain elemental in the demo). It could either be moved to UV-Speed, or perhaps a better alternative is to remove the atrocity that that demo is. Thanks!

Accidental telefrags don't generally* invalidate a pacifist.

* As in, if your route relies on getting an 'accidental' telefrag, then it's not really OK.

18 hours ago, Grazza said:

Accidental telefrags don't generally* invalidate a pacifist.

* As in, if your route relies on getting an 'accidental' telefrag, then it's not really OK.

Ah, good to know. Thanks, Grazza. It's still shocking to see how uneducated I was about speedrunning in early 2011.

On 13.8.2017 at 9:38 PM, rehelekretep said:

good point but i was just trying to make it clear that speedrunning for me is mostly about completing the runs for myself, obviously sharing them is cool but getting caught up in trying to make an 'entertaining demo for other people' to watch is a bad move imo if thats your primary motivation.

Actually came here for exactly that purpose - and to ask for some kind of permission to make one of Zeromaster´s already highly entertaining recordings maybe even a lil cooler by adding some commentary audio. (I think someone else already asked for something like this)

And now I dont even find his last speedrun effort even mentioned here ...hmm..

But however, still afraid I completely differ to the statement.  Its "Compet-N" and not "Self-Sacrifice" for some higher good, but maybe I just have a slightly different approach here. To look back at what you did earlier as Nate suggested is at least a start

On 13.8.2017 at 10:53 PM, rehelekretep said:

i regularly do not watch demos of maps i havent played for fear of ruining them

Thats a "casual" way to start on a game, map, whatever.

If you plan on staying and play something for a bit longer, its first you probably should do. Find a Demo, and check out where all this probably leads after some time...and maybe consider then not to go for a new Fallout3-Speedrun or alike ;)

Saves Time and probably a lot of frustration. Even for the audience!

Lately watched a D3 live playing (with 5 others^) but quickly got bored when she died at the same place over and over again.

Well ok "Accept you dont know - go to ANY Demo of this Map and look for escape route, then come back".  Probably stayed if she had done this live too but "Trial n Error" is too 80´s for me somehow..

Could my Shaitan's Luck map24 max in 4:47 be removed and replaced with this one in 4:29. (The old demo and text will be included in the zip for all of these.) 

Likewise for Scythe X map05 max in 1:04 with this one in 1:00.

Valiant map26 max in 5:11 with this one in 4:51

Valiant map28 max in 9:57 can be removed; here's a zip with both the 9:30 and 9:57.

Thanks. :)

Edited by rdwpa