Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

The DooMed Speed Demos Archive returns!

Wow. A post and a like seem totally inadequate to this moment. I hope AndyO never regrets the decision and now has time to do things long delayed.

DSDA exemplifies the ideal goal of a database, which is bringing humans together. I don't know if maintainers think about that while debugging on weekends. :> But Doom speedrunning is still a community after 25 years because of people like AndyO, who have worked and worked to ensure things are preserved after the original thread is buried and sharing links break.

P.S. LOL @ the previous news update being the launch.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:35 PM, Dimon12321 said:

Wow! I never thought that would happen now. May I ask a few questions, please?

What does "PDANG" mean?

Public Demo Archive of the Non-Gods. Basically, a more accessible alternative to Compet-N.

How long did it take to upload the biggest pack of demos in your life?

After all this time and so many demos, I couldn't even guess.

How is doomedsda.us organised? You keep your own server or you rent it? If the last one, how much do you pay for it? Any support from outside?

It's a shared server; nothing special. It was cheap for most of the time, because they hadn't increased my rates since 2005, but last year they bumped everything up considerably.

Do you feel the sense of accomplishment to Doom community? Because I'm out of ideas how we will do without you!

Well, I've reviewed WADs, built WADs, finished HR2, recorded demos, was one of the first to embrace TASing, pioneered the idea of built max demos and ran a demo website for longer than any previous webmaster. I think I've left my mark. :-)

How often you thought of dropping hosting doomedsda?

For several years now. I've gotten bored with DooM and the site takes a considerable amount of time to manage.

Were there other candidates for hosting doomedsda before Kraflab and Zero-Master initialized next DSDA?

No. As people have probably noticed, I'm a loner who generally does his own thing, so it wasn't coordinated. Kraf and Zero just happened to be the ones who stepped up and got the job done.

Will you revisit Doom TASing someday? This is one of your masterpieces! (video)

Not likely. As I said, I'm DooMed out and think I've accomplished about all I can. As much as I love those TASes (especially that one) they take forever to make. I'm glad you and vdgg have been finishing that Eternal TAS collection, though; it really deserves one.

Adding my voice to everyone else: thank you, Andy, for your long years in the Doom community, for not just curating a historical demo resource but making the effort to keep it live and active. We've been lucky to have you.

Just stopping by to tip my hat to a living Doom legend.

Thank you, Andy, for your commitment and dedication to keeping the SDA alive and well all these years!