Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

The DooMed Speed Demos Archive returns!

Searcher: Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

Philnemba: Fixed. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the deal is with cchest2 MAP15? It was brought to my attention that none of the three UV Max demos plays back correctly. Is it an issue with the WAD, or is there some obscure PRBoom parameter that's necessary to play them back?

Andy, the 4 demos I have for map 15, all are Anima's, they play back perfectly on my system with prboom 223 and the wad of Dec. 2004. I have never tried them on any other port. for many years, until just recently, prboom 223 was my default port.

He used from his text files:

"Exe/Port used: GLBoom 2.2.4 -complevel 5"

From my notes:
"This map is on timers and Anima is to fast for them. ;)"

I never specify any special parameters in my command line for these.

Same for Mark Anders map 15 Secrets run. nomo 100's

Prior to 2.5.0, PrBoom didn't accurately emulate Boom's friction/bobbing code, which caused those demos to desync in Boom itself. (Incidentally, "-complevel 5" at the time was "Boom compatibility;" it's now -complevel 9.) To play those demos back in PrBoom+, you'll need to add -emulate 2.2.4 or -force_prboom_friction to the command line.

Along those same lines, Anima Zero's two UV SPEED demos on DV.wad MAP04 only play back correctly in modern PrBoom+ versions with the command "-force_remove_slime_trails" added, as this post notes. It couldn't hurt to make note of this on the DV demos page.

57 demos this week.

There are a couple missing(one by DoomHero and one by Malinku) that I didn't have time to add, so they'll have to wait until next week.

1. RottKing's demo: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=908651#post908651 (CC3, MAP12) is well worth adding, I think. Despite his words, it is a Max attempt (On page 3: "I was going for max but I forgot a few monsters"), and were it successful, it would have been slightly superior than mine (no problems with THE jump, cleverer route afterwards). 3 missed monsters in addition to 5 unkillable ones and one secret didn't register. Just to note that the final time is not 46:50, but 46:44.

2. Nevan's demo (see top of this page) still isn't there... Corrected link: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=904267#post904267

3. Should Ledmeister's Bloodsea demos be MAP01 or MAP07? I don't own Master Levels, so I can't verify, but this is what I may have "caught" this time by accident.

4. Stx-Vile's UV Max on eaxt, MAP01 was recorded with PrBoom 2.2.3. His quote from eaxt2-s3 (HMP Max on MAP02): "Somehow I got really confused on my PrBoom version numbers, the map01 uv run was recorded with 2.2.3 rather than 2.2.4... and so has this one, and now it's the only copy of PrBoom on my hard drive. Bleh!".

vdgg: Since RottKing's demo didn't have a text file I set it aside. In my rush to finish the update tonight I forgot to include it. Both it and Nevan's demo will be up next week for sure.

As for the other two problems: fixed. Bloodsea is indeed on MAP07. Thanks!

24 demos this week.

I didn't have nearly enough time to do the update, so the other 60(!) new demos will have to wait until next week.

Error: The 1:55 UV max for dmbash is listed as an E2M1 demo. The only level in the WAD is E1M2.

Also, the 0:25 pacifist demo for dmbaron should have a note reading, "Intended route" like my slower UV speed for destiny1, since it grabs the key "required" for the exit door even though you don't need it due to a mapping error (heh). ;)

All gvozdevik runs have SR50 on turns except his zdoom run, TAS..
I think if he thinks it's a normal feature we should tell him about it

kimo_xvirus said:

All gvozdevik runs have SR50 on turns except his zdoom run, TAS..
I think if he thinks it's a normal feature we should tell him about it

How is it possible to have SR50 on turns in a Doom2 v1.9 demo? I thought even the mouse hack, or whatever it's called, only automates the SR50? Unless you're also accusing him of using PrBoom for those demos and lying about it?

The dos mouse driver automates sr50 in vanilla doom only when not turning and it's not allowed of course. He had sr50 during turning tics in all his demos, so yes he used PrBoom and lied about it.

gvozednik wrote in hr01nomo006.txt:
Exe: Doom2.exe (V.1.9)
New mouse turns are fast sorry
Recorded in doom2.exe with HRMUS.wad

0032 3201 0032 3204 0032 3203 0031 3203
kimo is right, that guy turns while sr50'ing. i also don't understand 31 in forward direction, how does that happen? the 'new mouse turns' is wonderfully cryptic, perhaps a clue for the dw detectives?

dew said:

i also don't understand 31 in forward direction, how does that happen?

PrBoom's obfuscator in action

cmd->forwardmove += fudgef((signed char)forward);

static inline signed char fudgef(signed char b)
{
  static int c;
  if (!b || !demo_compatibility || longtics) return b;
  if (++c & 0x1f) return b;
  b |= 1; if (b>2) b-=2;
  return b;
}

You mean normal PrBoom does that as a watermark for its demos? But isn't 31 = 49 in decimal = mouse movement. Could 49 make the same movement as 50?

kimo_xvirus said:

He had sr50 during turning tics in all his demos, so yes he used PrBoom and lied about it.

I think he was lazy to edit .txt. I did not check all his demos, but hr01nomo006.lmp contains even demo footer

kimo_xvirus said:

You mean normal PrBoom does that as a watermark for its demos

Yes.

kimo_xvirus said:

Could 49 make the same movement as 50?

Probably I've understood you wrongly, but that does not matter what movement 49 make. Obfuscation is applied before game physics.

I feel like this is the exact same situation as Mr. TF a few years ago. The guy just forgot to edit the text, and probably didn't realize that the SR50-turn automation was on.

Honestly, someone who willingly lies about obvious things like this and hopes that no one will notice is either extremely naive or absolutely insane.

I've marked gvozdevik's non-ZDoom demos as TAS and sent him an eMail alerting him of the problem. My guess is he just didn't know the options weren't allowed in normal runs.

49 demos this week.

Mad Butcher: Thanks for the pedroom links. It looks like DoomHero used the older version, but I'll keep the other one on hand just in case.