Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Plutonia Revisited Community Project: Released!

Should this project go ahead?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should this project go ahead?

• Yes
    • No

Here is a DoomBuilder screen with possible routes ATM. It's hard to understand (you can't see heights, actions, platforms and stairs hehe) but don't look if you want to discover in game :P.
Click here.
Please take into account that the map is not advanced at all, there is a lot of detailling needed and monsters will have some places especially for them in some rooms.

A couple more pics of my map which the layout is around 85 to 90% done(going full steam on this now).

Once I'm done with the layout, minor detailing will be next(this map will be as detailed as a map from the original Plutonia so this way I can avoid having VOs). Then things and lighting will be be added then I'll start testing it until the point I'm satisfy with it.

Joshy, I'd like to be removed from the list of mappers. I've been too busy of late to even think about Doom. However, I'll stay on the list of playtesters and get back to you on that as soon as I can.

Nice looking shots so far, guys!

Ok, whenever an episode's complete, mind sending it to me via PM so I can test it?

I'm playing scoredoom while I wait, and so far I'm at map23 of Scythe 2.

I think I'll take a stab at MAP31. For now the name will be N/A.

Hmm, it doesn't seem that anyone's claimed a MAP15 spot. I'm all for putting a secret exit in my map (I have a neat place to put it, at least), though admittedly it doesn't resemble The Twilight... maybe I should leave that honor to Tatsurd, then? ;)

Not that we have to try and mimic the original entirely, but whatever. :P

Progress:

Starting Area.

After pushing the switch in the starting area, the floor lowers and a Cyberdemon teleports.

Top-most part of the map.

Area behind one of the Cyberdemon pens.

The Cyberdemon that disappears teleports to this area, which is to the left of the spawn room.

Door at the top-most part of the map is open now. There was a Spider Mastermind here just a short while ago. (God mode is on because there aren't enough med kits yet. This is the only place I had it on.)

After pressing the switch in the room, a pen opens, and you teleport back to the first pen that opened.

A free BFG? I think not.

Looks good Whoo, though the first screen is a little bland, but I thought this was supposed to be strictly stock textures? Or am I mistaken?

gun_psycho said:

Ok, whenever an episode's complete, mind sending it to me via PM so I can test it?

I'm playing scoredoom while I wait, and so far I'm at map23 of Scythe 2.

Sure but it probably will be a little while before one episode has been completed.

@Tendamonsta: Sure, try not to be too revealing though. ;-)

@Violator: Could you be a little more specific, do you wish you make a map or test or contribute music? Thanks. :-)

@Xaser: Doesn't have to be entirely like Plutonia, so sure thing, you can have the map15 slot.

Screenshots looking good too :-)

I'm starting a map today so should be done in a week or two, also is it cool if I add my own music?

This week-end I don't have access to my computer, thus I won't map. On the other hand I will have time evenings the next week for this little map for episode2 :-).

Violator said:

I'm starting a map today so should be done in a week or two, also is it cool if I add my own music?

Sure no worries. Custom music's allowed too.

yah cool, My maps name is going to be 'Chambers of Hatred' don't mind what level number it is.

I've finished the layout of my map and have started adding things and stuff but I am unsure if I want to use custom music. Put me down for "unsure" in the music category, if it's important.

Also, I'm running into some problems with what could be "dated" Doom Engine issues - nothing visplane or seg related, but sometimes if the player is traveling at his maximum speed (at an angle) he will not trip certain walk-over linedefs. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen in Chocolate Doom (understandably), and I'm unsure as to whether it happens in Source Ports that add enhancements to the Doom engine.

Also, I'm running into some problems with what could be "dated" Doom Engine issues - nothing visplane or seg related, but sometimes if the player is traveling at his maximum speed (at an angle) he will not trip certain walk-over linedefs. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen in Chocolate Doom (understandably), and I'm unsure as to whether it happens in Source Ports that add enhancements to the Doom engine.

I only use PrBoom+ so don't know how often it happens compared to Doom2.exe/Chocolate Doom, but skipping linedefs is possible in PrBoom+ too. Making the linedefs diagonal rather than perpendicular to the player seem to help with this problem, although it's not foolproof.

Reporting progress on my map "Asmodeus' Circle": the layout in 100% done, all rooms of the map are there, the exit, the key and the switches you need to activate to get to the key. All of that is done. Now all that is left is adding the finishing touches of detail to 2 more rooms, add monsters, playtest and then send it in. As for the music, I'm going to keep the music from the original map 21 "Slayer", it fits this tribute map very well.

Ah, thanks for the slot, Joshy! I'll get to assigning that secret exit soon enough. As for now, progress:

So it deviates a lot from the Neurosphere inspiration in a lot of spots, but that's okay since that means it's not just another remake. :P Though there are no monsters in these shots, the first 3-ish minutes of gameplay are there. It'll be slightly larger than the Plutonia average, though certainly not epic-length or anything like that. Finally, it's been tested almost exclusively with Chocolate and somehow manages to fall within the limits (though just barely in some parts -- the seg limit's a bitch). It is and will be co-op friendly, and hopefully will be a desirable map for demos even though I'm by no means an expert in that regard. That's what playtesting is for, I guess. ;)

I'm calling the map "Helix" for now, in keeping with the simple one-word naming scheme of many of Plutonia's maps. I might extend/change it later if I manage to think of something better.

At any rate, this is probably the most fun I've ever had mapping. Vanilla limits are a neat challenge and Plutonia's gameplay style has really started to grow on me (been playing it a lot lately for inspiration). Doing something similar has so far been a blast -- here's to hoping the feeling continues before I get lazy once more. :P

Xaser said:

At any rate, this is probably the most fun I've ever had mapping. Vanilla limits are a neat challenge and Plutonia's gameplay style has really started to grow on me (been playing it a lot lately for inspiration). Doing something similar has so far been a blast -- here's to hoping the feeling continues before I get lazy once more. :P

Having been buried in 'advanced' projects and texture packs and boom bullshit for several months I can agree, I love vanilla and that's where I feel at home. Aside, I'm loving the look of this project. To me it's starting to really take on it's own feeling and style.

worked on designs for 4 rooms 2 ar looking Plutonia standard, just have to test it in vanilla and chocolate a lot

Hmmm, I think it's worth mentioning in the original post that's it's strongly recommended to constantly test your map from start to finish in vanilla or chocolate (which sounds hilarious out of context), and perhaps posting a link to chocorenderlimits.exe to help the process. It's better to develop the map with the limits in mind rather than test it halfway through with Chocolate only to find out that your map's centerpiece crashes hard.

Also, I just noticed the updated resource wad. Whoops -- forgot that SLumpEd handles things weirdly. Thanks there, Ghost.

For clarification, is it just garbage characters in the names at fault, or does it do anything more to the TEXTUREx lump? Just want to see if it's fixable via hex-editing out the garbage characters, for future reference n' things.

Well, I'd like to say that my map, "Asmodeus' Circle" is 100% complete. Monsters, ammo, weapons, health is all in place. I've played through it a few times, and IMHO it's a map you need to carefully navigate through because it's very open with little places to hide so you can be attacked from all sides at all times.

However, I'd like to have somebody test it before I really send it in, just in case a few modifications are still in order. Is that possible/allowed?

And finally, here are the last screenshots of the map:

I hope it captures the style and atmosphere of Plutonia and the original map 21 "Slayer" well enough.