Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Plutonia Revisited Community Project: Released!

Should this project go ahead?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should this project go ahead?

• Yes
    • No

TendaMonsta said:

Any hints on how to keep from doing this.

Just don't do it -- or make 1,000 backups if you can't resist the urge. This looks very nice so far, I must say -- keep working on this, doggamnit. :P

valkiriforce, screenshots 2-5 look promising. i just suggest you inflate everything in your map by at lest 25%, looks like you could use more space for placing things.. and for players to move. :)

the first pic has some clashing themes and wild colour changes imo.

I thought that I might try to contribute a map for this. Right now I'm in the process of getting a new computer and I'm stuck on my 12 year old box in the mean time. It couldn't handle my Vela Pax mapping so I won't be working on it :P. A vanilla-limit map, however, shouldn't be a problem. So if you've got any slots open, I'll try to fill one :). I haven't really tried to emulate Plutonia-style mapping before but hopefully I can make something that's pretty close.

Finished the map. I opened up the space a bit on some of the cramped areas; sending it to the playtesters right now. By the way anyone can choose the song for this map; I trust someone will pick something fitting for this level.

Mechadon said:

I thought that I might try to contribute a map for this. Right now I'm in the process of getting a new computer and I'm stuck on my 12 year old box in the mean time. It couldn't handle my Vela Pax mapping so I won't be working on it :P. A vanilla-limit map, however, shouldn't be a problem. So if you've got any slots open, I'll try to fill one :). I haven't really tried to emulate Plutonia-style mapping before but hopefully I can make something that's pretty close.

Sure thing Mek. You can try either Episode 1 or 3 as episode 2 has enough maps being worked on. Also you don't really need to completely emulate Plutonia but you could rather express your 'interpretation' of it. If that made any sense, heh. :P

TendaMonsta: Kinda seems to me that maybe you're trying too hard and that maybe you have too high demands and expectations on yourself. I've suffered from something similar, always kept trying to make bigger and more epic maps all the time, it *always* backfired on me and I lost inspiration and got tired of it all too. But when I let myself do bad maps and make mistakes, I could all of a sudden manage to make and for once, finish maps.

I think if you let yourself do bad maps, first then will you start to have a chance to make really awesome maps, and I think you will find it more fun to make them as well. At least that's what happened for me. Also, I found it most fun and creative to just letting the maps turn out the way they turn out, good or bad. And I'd keep any map I'd make, deleting your hard work only makes editing more frustrating in my opinion.

Also, for me too much perfection has never been a good thing.

Hope this helps. Also hope my advice didn't turn out too bossy, but I recognized much of what you wrote.

And I agree with Xaser, your screens look very nice.

I am posting to show that I am not doing nothing, but I have a big problem. I have only had one map come to completion and I posted it on youtube for a week and then deleted it because I thought I could do better. The same thing is happening to me here. I've started this map at least 4 times and I delete it and start over every time. Any hints on how to keep from doing this.

I have started work on MAP03. Its going to be a small to medium sized level.

I just had this incredible idea recently for a "Go 2 It" type level. Let me try my hand on it and if it doesn't work out someone else can make the level.

[Edit] So the idea I had was to combine the first three areas of the first three levels from Plutonia Experiment, then just build a new level around it. What do you guys think of it? I'd be glad to hand it over to someone else if they want to make it or just do their own "Go 2 It" level. I've decided not to take the slot, but to leave it open for ideas; but I did take some screenshots just to get an idea of what I had in mind.

Congo area with Well of Souls on the other side

Well of Souls starting point

Between Well of Souls & Aztec

Anyway, just some ideas I had this morning.

This is a great idea valkiriforce! Can we have DoomBuilder's (or whatever you use) shots to appreciate the interconnection?

Joshy said:

I like the idea of using only Plutonia Map01 for Map32. Plutonia only had Doom2 Map01 so would be better to keep it simple?

Yes, in order to keep it simple. but the idea to play with the starting levels of the iwads (and plutonia 2) is very interesting.

May I try something when i finish my "escape from the ghost town"?

I already have the title: "End of the Beginning". It's a quote from Winston Churchull: "thi is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is the end of the beginning".

valikiriforce is doing a go 2 it tribute so i may put my map in another slot, as there are still free?

It was an idea I had this morning. I'm not sure if I'm going to go along with it so I'd say the slot is still open for those who want to do it. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. I just threw this together this morning, so it's still looking pretty bare.

@valkiriforce: it could work if you make a circular layout that becomes progressively open (just an idea I had ATM).

@valkiriforce: i think it is a nice idea, but i don't like very much the copy&paste of the original maps...

BTW the "Well of Souls" part could be a remake of HR map32 if you make the lifting longer and teleport many big baddies ;).
Don't hesitate to scrap some of the original parts so it works better.

Edit : or...

That seems like a pretty cool idea; maybe this map should be a joint effort if that is allowed?

Lorenzo said:

@valkiriforce: i think it is a nice idea, but i don't like very much the copy&paste of the original maps...

Well, it's all the more reason I could use some suggestions to changes I should make or someone else could, if anyone is willing.

Considering that you guys have nice ideas, it would be best to make Map32 a joint effort? (as Valkiri suggested) Considering there are multiple maps joining together, might as well have multiple authors working together.

I think the main emphasis for Map32 in Plutonia would have to be the awesome inter-connectivity as K!r4 proposed. Ensure there are a good amount of cyberdemons as well and definitely have some blocking locked doors :P The Well of Soul bit could have several dangerous monsters teleporting in at once instead of progressive teleporting like the actual HR31 map. You could also make it a lift instead? Maybe those chaingunners alcoves could be connected to another map (or original) on top adjacent to Congo, otherwise it seems too linear IMO and copy-pasty. Also, there needs to be one consistent retextured theme instead of using all the same textures as the starting maps. Make it tech or extra bloody or hellish, or what not. Just ideas though.

Lorenzo said:

May I try something when i finish my "escape from the ghost town"?

I already have the title: "End of the Beginning". It's a quote from Winston Churchull: "thi is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is the end of the beginning".

valikiriforce is doing a go 2 it tribute so i may put my map in another slot, as there are still free?

Yeah slots are still open, episode 3 needs more maps but I'd suggest that your second map be your last for the time being until we're in need for more maps.

Actually, I did re-texture some parts of the map; as far as re-structuring, maybe someone would like to lend a hand? I figured all other parts of the map that aren't like the first three maps could structurally (or rather, thematically) revolve around the basic Plutonia feel. But I totally agree on the copy/paste thing; it needs to stand out like a new map. Go 2 It had enough new textures/structuring to feel like it's own map.

Eh, what the hell. Since I've hit a wall with my other Doom projects, I'm going to take some time off and give this a shot. The catch is, of course, that I've still never finished a map let alone a truly carnage-filled Plutonia style one, but I'm going to give it a try.

The style is a waterworks type area, probably going to aim for the first sky set and then the second.

Starting area:

Pcorf you really make the A-BROCK2 texture stand out well within your map.

The screenshots are really nice...Makes me wanna work on mine a bit.

Those are some great pics you got there Paul. As TendaMonsta says, you really do make A-BROCK2 textures look well on your map.

Joshy said:

Yeah slots are still open, episode 3 needs more maps but I'd suggest that your second map be your last for the time being until we're in need for more maps.

Ok, sign me for an episode 3 map, title: "The end of the beginning".

Lorenzo

Joshy said:

Sure thing Mek. You can try either Episode 1 or 3 as episode 2 has enough maps being worked on. Also you don't really need to completely emulate Plutonia but you could rather express your 'interpretation' of it. If that made any sense, heh. :P

Cool :). I don't know which episode I'd like to map for yet but I'll let you know when I start something. As long as this old computer holds out long enough, I should be able to finish a map. I can't make any promises though since it was having some trouble starting up today :X

Pretty nice shots pcorf! Wide and open yet atmospheric. It just needs more Revenant fireballs hurtling towards the screen.

Can't make up my mind here. Keep note of the vines in the distance.

I have a quick question about implementing difficulty within my map.

Since I'm doing MAP20 and it wasn't hard can I make it harder than it originally was or should I keep the ol' "Death Domain" type challenge.

The MAP name will be "Demesne of Sacrifices" and will be using a modified version of "Message of the Archvile".

TendaMonsta said:

I have a quick question about implementing difficulty within my map.

Since I'm doing MAP20 and it wasn't hard can I make it harder than it originally was or should I keep the ol' "Death Domain" type challenge.

Well, it's really up to you. Since it's episode two, it would have to be challenging like Plutonia's episode 2 maps at least but not overly difficult. You can make it more difficult though; plutonia 2 was more difficult compared to plutonia. So yeah, up to you! No solid rules regarding difficulties.

StoneFrog said:

Can't make up my mind here. Keep note of the vines in the distance.

The bottom one looks good. But you could make it so that the buildings has the top texture while the waterfall walls have the bottom. It might work together?

The layout of my map is done. I've added some more detail but not too much more.

All BIGDOOR7's have now been replaced with A-BROWN4.

Josh, I may end up giving up my map slot for Episode 2. I have literally NO ideas for it and nothing created, and my time is occupied with other things at the moment. If there is still space for a map when I return, I'll contribute another map, but until then, you can take me off the list for Episode 2.

Primeval, any time you feel like you're getting too many music requests, I'm always here - I've barely gotten any for anything lately. :(

Sure thing Mista_T.

Hawkwind has made a fix on the resource wad. The brown waterfall textures are now animated, as well as additional lavafall textures. Many thanks for that hawkwind.

Get it from here: EDIT: *follow link several posts later*

Keep up the good work peeps!