Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Plutonia Revisited Community Project: Released!

Should this project go ahead?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should this project go ahead?

• Yes
    • No

RELEASED Download>>>
EDIT: Mediafirelink deleted

IDgames Archive Link>>> http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16429

Yes I know another thread, but I'd like to create opportunities for all mappers to participate in a community project. I was watching demos of plutonia on youtube, it brought back memories of playing it 10 years ago and inspired me to start this thread.

Community Project titled: Plutonia Revisited (Won't call it plutonia3, better stop beating up the dead horse of sequels)

What I propose is a community project, welcome to any mappers, to aim for 32 vanilla maps for Plutonia within 6 months (the original plutonia was made within 6 months so this would be a good challenge) Basically the aim is to make a map that resembles (or your interpretation of) plutonia in terms of gameplay and looks. You can make more than one map, but will consider in allowing more authors to have a chance of putting in a map.

The minimal map standard must be as good as Plutonia, it doesn't have to be complex though. I don't want to sound elitist but I consider this a good opportunities for mappers to improve. If it falls behind plutonia's standard, that doesn't mean the map won't be accepted, use the opportunity to improve and learn from feedbacks from other mappers (Hopefully it will be beneficial in the long run). The maps do not need to be big at all, it can be very quick that lasts for 2-5 minutes. Plutonia's map were all mostly very quick ones, although long ones are as welcome. It would be a bonus to make the maps demo-recording friendly. I find considering shortcuts and such help create better layouts but that's just me.

If you want to make a map, just name which of the 3 episodes you wish to map, you can claim a particular slot once your map has been finished. You can claim a special slot (map07,15,30,31,32) but whoever finishes a map for the particular slot will get it first. You can only use new textures from this pack: http://rabotik.nl/temp/prcp03.zip or strictly from the plutonia.wad stock textures only. Also if it's possible, do put down the name of the map you are making/or have made and whether if you will use new music or if you request a new midi music to be made. I will display such information on the map list.

You can also take part if you wish to make musics or the graphical part, or be a beta-tester. For the mappers, test the maps in any way you wish. The deadline for now is November (see how we go), testing will quickly follow after I compile all the maps and resources together. All mappers are very welcome, from newcomers to prominent mappers of the community.
----------------------

So in brief:

- Create a map for plutonia. Any kind as long as it's somehow similar to plutonia (both difficulty and structure/looks).
- Must be at least as good as plutonia. Upload the map for hopefully helpful constructive feedback/comments.
- You can claim a particular slot once your map has been completed.

Requirements:
- vanilla compatible (at least with chocolate doom)
- you can only use the textures from this pack: http://rabotik.nl/temp/prcp03.zip or the stock plutonia textures.
-Player 1-4 starts and consider co-operative gameplay when designing your map
-No deathmatch

It is strongly recommended that the mappers test their maps during their progress with chocolate doom using this: http://www.tnt2.net16.net/files/public/chocorenderlimits.zip

Demo/speedrunning friendly recommended (implementing speedrunning features very welcome and a bonus, )

New music is allowed:

LIST OF MAPPERS:
Joshy
franckFRAG
ArmouredBlood
Keeper of Jericho
tatsurd-cacocaco
Lorenzo
Evocalvin
Philnemba
Mista_T
Darkwave0000
t.v.
K!r4
Phobus
Xaser
whoo
Waverider
JCD
[WH]-Wilou84
pcorf
valkiriforce
Mechadon
C30N9

LIST OF TESTERS:
Snakes
Hawkwind
dew
Belial
MegaDoomer

gun_psycho (only for testing episodes)

LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS:
PRIMEVAL- Musician
Stewboy- Musician

Thanks!

Personally, I might consider TNT instead as there is already, as you indirectly noted, a Plutonia 2.

While PL2, wasn't a "community project" as such, it exists. There is no released TNT eqivilent.

Vermil said:

Personally, I might consider TNT instead as there is already, as you indirectly noted, a Plutonia 2.

While PL2, wasn't a "community project" as such, it exists. There is no released TNT eqivilent.

There is currently a TNT project being made and there was Heroes Tales which was for TNT. But I'm sorta biased and favour plutonia more. However I'm open to changes if the majority wishes to map for TNT instead.

EDIT: Could think of this as a more 'standard plutonia approach'. Plutonia2 was sorta exclusive and used a lot more textures on top of plutonia's.

I might contribute to this. I've got some old maps from my abandoned Plutonia project for Skulltag. I'll let you know what maps I'd like. :)

Jimmy91 said:

I might contribute to this. I've got some old maps from my abandoned Plutonia project for Skulltag. I'll let you know what maps I'd like. :)

Sure, they'll do fine! I'll wait and hear from you. :-)

Sounds interesting.

Joshy said:

There is currently a TNT project being made

Yup. It's currently going through an inactive phase, but I keep in contact with everyone.

Hi,

I'm interested for your Plutonia Revisited project. Currently, I map for the Necromantic Thirst project, and a personnal project, Cybernity.

I prefer to create an only map, to the slots of first or second episode.
Because, I am slow in the Realization of map :)

This sounds interesting. I'm no mapper, but I can write MIDI music. Currently writing for Unholy Realms, PsychoPhobia, and the Doom 1 MegaWad. I can fit this into my schedule. Being off work for over a month, I'm sure I can do something ;-)

Though, can we keep the Rev and ChainGunner spam down to a minimum? They get old after awhile, hehe.

You know, I think I'm interested in helping out with this project. I know that Plutonia 2 is still fairly recent, but I love plutonia styled maps and this would be a great chance to get me to open DB again.

I have a fairly decent idea for a map in my head, and now I'm thinking about which map I'd take. Let's say my map kinda relies on the player not having many weapons yet, so it would make sense as the beginning of an episode (if we pistol start each episode), or as an earlier level before the SSG/Rocket launcher is introduced (though that happens on map01 of plutonia...)

I've just run through Plutonia and I noticed that all the maps are designed with a pistol start in mind. They don't become too unbalanced if you carry over your previous weapons either, but you can complete them from a pistol start too.

Anyway, I'd also like to try my hand at this. This will be my first time mapping for vanilla, but I've got a map idea I want to try that would fit with Plutonia's style.

Sounds cool. I'm interested in an ep3 spot. I'll see if I can get it done rather fast (say 1-2 months, heh) so someone can make a midi for it. Probably expect something a little earlier, just 'cause I usually have a working map in less than 3 weeks, no matter the size ... should be interesting mapping for vanilla again. Should we map limit-removing, or should it be pure vanilla?

Cool idea :-D
I suppose it should be pure vanilla right? so you can play it with classic final doom2.exe (if anybody still has the opportunity) or with chocolate-doom.
I want to join this as I have already been thinking about creating more "plutonic" maps for a while.
I would like to try to make one map for each episode but smeg knows if I really will be able to do it :-)

I would definitely be interested in doing something for this. As a big fan of the original, new Plutonia sounds good to me. I could try something for episode 2, I suppose.

Also, I'd be very willing to playtest.

I might be interested in making a map or more. I really like Plutonia and it's organic style. Don't know yet what map slot I want. Guess it'll become more clear when I've started doing some map.

If I could venture an opinion, I'd prefer not to be spammed by Revenants and Chaingunners on HMP and UV please :)

I always thought that a cleverly designed level does not need monster spamming to be a challenge.

You know, now that I've played through the original Plutonia again, I realized that Go 2 It wasn't the only Doom2-inspired level. Map21, "Slayer" is an obvious remake of Circle of Death, but I've never figured out before that MAP18, "Neurosphere" is an Inmost Dens remake or that Map04, "Caged" and Map15, "The Twilight" are both inspired by The Abandoned Mines.

As I am deeply in love with Plutonia, I would very much like to contribute to this. I would prefer an episode 3 slot, but I can't say what map exactly just yet.

I'm still busy with a map for Pcorf's community project, though, but that one is almost done. Once it's finished, I'll start making a map for this.

However, I am not sure what vanilla doom is... I'm one of those people of uses ZDoom as his standard launcher to play wads. Is vanilla doom anothr such launcher for doom wads? And if so, what would I have to do to map in its style with Doom Builder? Would it mean like setting the settings of the map to "Doom in Doom 2 format"?

Sory if this sounds n00bish, but while I've played a lot of wads and have some experience with mapping (if I do say so myself), I'm not at all up to date with all these source ports and launchers for Doom...

Keeper of Jericho said:

However, I am not sure what vanilla doom is... I'm one of those people of uses ZDoom as his standard launcher to play wads. Is vanilla doom anothr such launcher for doom wads? And if so, what would I have to do to map in its style with Doom Builder? Would it mean like setting the settings of the map to "Doom in Doom 2 format"?

Sory if this sounds n00bish, but while I've played a lot of wads and have some experience with mapping (if I do say so myself), I'm not at all up to date with all these source ports and launchers for Doom...

Vanilla Doom is simply good old original Doom 2. As in doom2.exe and with its limitations :)

edit: this sounds mighty interesting and contributing would have been cool, but I`ll have to pass on this one and focus on my own stuff right now.

On second thought, my summer's way too booked up to focus my efforts on mapping at all. Still would like to see something come out of this.

Pure vanilla it is, the limited kind. ;-) I thought it'd be a change to all the boom maps I've done lately.

I shall work on an episode 3 map with possibly custom music (my own music creation despite sucking at music making but this is due in 6 months so I'd have tons of time to finalize the music). So yeah, I'll work on an episode 3 map with the red cave sky with one of varying difficulty from pathetic to masochist. heh.

Also, Vanilla kicks ass so that's a bonus, I can put my own chocorenderlimits to use to test out areas if they get too complex, although I usuaully keep it simple.

Awesome idea for a project, good luck with it! With the list of strong mappers I can see this getting far. :)

If I get time, at one point I'll make a map for this, but I'm tied down with my own maps at the moment, so don't sign me up just yet.

Good luck.

Very nice screenies! Let's hope no one has arachnophobia :P Needing a particular style of music for it? ;)

I can make a titlepicture, intermission screen and logo, if that position is still open...