Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Plutonia Revisited Community Project: Released!

Should this project go ahead?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should this project go ahead?

• Yes
    • No

4mer said:

Found a slight problem (a line 0 bug) stand in sector 869 and shoot North.

Hmm, line 0 bug? I'm unfamiliar with this and can't find information about it on the Doom wiki.

Memfis said:

EDIT: on MAP25 there is some lines where projectiles disappear instead of exploding on impact. I think flipping them should help.

Where at, specifically?

Haven't finished it yet, but I think Map32 is fantastic.

Edit : also played a few other maps, and so far everything was great. This really feels like Plutonia again to me, caters more to my tastes than PL2 (which was also good, just different). Two thumbs up. :)

I played all maps in the coop sessions, the wad is awesome =D

However, I noticed some bugs, my map (map08) is not really adapted for the coop :/ I also noticed that we were blocked in map03.

There are other littles bugs, I remember me than there is a megasphere and a soulsphere in the same position, in the map 29 I think, probably one marked coop in too much.

franckFRAG said:

I also noticed that we were blocked in map03.

detailed description of this bug:
http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?p=255792#255792

concerning map08: this version is not the one you sent me as the last one, franck, i spoke to joshy to fix a thing or two. :) however there's another bug i noticed during the coop session. the WR linedef 298 is the opposite to the SR linedef 485, it opens/closes the first door. BUT it also raises/lowers sector 55, which is a problem, because players WILL stand in it in coop. i got stuck in there myself. the actions for these sectors (55 and20) should be separated, sector 55 lowering should be a S/W1 action only.

dew said:

BUT it also raises/lowers sector 55, which is a problem,

Interesting. I recently sent FranckFRAG a PM regarding another
issue regarding sector 55. Probably related. He hasn't replied as yet.

FranckFRAG, please check your PM's.

Xaser said:

Hmm, line 0 bug? I'm unfamiliar with this...

A bug in vanilla doom is that line 0 is always tested when tracing lines for i.e. hit scan attacks. Modifying the map so that line 0 is a short horizontal or vertical line may be the best way to prevent the problem it causes.

Some more testing info:
MAP21 - Thing 105 (Box of shells) can jump up in the air:

Full Size Image

Some Co-op Testing:

All maps were lot's of fun :)

MAP18 - In ZDaemon the Mancubuses fall off the platforms when they get shot by the cyberdemon.
Two places are inacessible for co-op players (spider / red key area and AV area at end).

MAP29 - Green armour and blue armour on top of each other (at exit).

I recommend people who have maps with traps check players can enter the areas from outside in case a player dies inside. Testing with ZDaemon in single player mode can help with this as when you die the map does not reset like it normally does.
I need to change my map to stop this problem happening in the blue key area.

4mer said:
[B

MAP18 - In ZDaemon the Mancubuses fall off the platforms when they get shot by the cyberdemon.
[/B]

Sounds like a compatibility issue to me as monsters don't fall off of ledges in vanilla doom. I guess block monster line def would do there even though it really isn't needed (although that statement can be debatable).

4mer said:

A bug in vanilla doom is that line 0 is always tested when tracing lines for i.e. hit scan attacks. Modifying the map so that line 0 is a short horizontal or vertical line may be the best way to prevent the problem it causes.

I still don't see what that implies. Line 0 is way on the bottom right corner of the map -- how can it be causing problems anywhere else?

(Note: I'd have searched for this already, but the forums won't let me use "Line 0" as a search term since it checks word length even within quotations...)

[EDIT] 4mer was kind enough to PM an explanation + fix for the problem, so it's all sorted out now. Major thanks, there! Belial in particular should be happy to note that the shot-blocking phantom lines seem to be all fixed now. Vanilla Doom is weeeird...

hawkwind said:

Interesting. I recently sent FranckFRAG a PM regarding another
issue regarding sector 55. Probably related. He hasn't replied as yet.

FranckFRAG, please check your PM's.

Ok hawkind, I go to see the pm !!

I think to add a RL for the coop near to the Hell Knight area..

@franckFRAG ...

Please check your PM's again. I have given you a link to the modified map 08. Hopefully it will fix both my and dews' concerns.

I finished the whole wad yesterday and this was probably one of my favorite megawads ever made :)!

4mer said:

Two places are inacessible for co-op players (spider / red key area and AV area at end).

I will make the linedef "block monster" to prevent Mancubuses fall off
also add the teleporter for these room to prevent trap/block the co-op player before the final release.

thanks for reporting.

The intermission text between MAP20 and MAP21 should be 275 characters long, not 273, as this causes the 'd.' at the end of the text to be cut off.

For me, Plutonia Revisited feels like a transition between PL1 and PL2, judging by the similarities and differences in design, atmosphere, map sizes and monster counts of these three wads :-)

But anyway, definitely not a disappointment. For good old wads (like TNT Evilution and Plutonia Experiment) it's typical to have a few crude, sub-par, primitively made levels (for example, IMO two levels from the original Plutonia, 3 and 26, are mediocre and stupidish). But in Plutonia Revisited, ALL levels are carefully and beautifully designed, among them some truly outstanding masterpieces like Helix, Phantom Silence, Atlatl, etc. And Joshy's "Caughtisle" is just as excellent as his "Simple Prison-Yard".

Great job to every author, including of course my fellow speedrunner Tatsurd-cacocaco. I consider his MAP09 and MAP20 to be more professionally done, impressive and atmospheric than the original "Realm" and "Twillight", which are already nice.

Updated version of my map uploaded.
Joshy, please check PM.

So I haven't heard anything about my* map yet (27), anything that needs fixing?

E*:lovely spelling mistake now immortalized in a quote, heheh.

ArmouredBlood said:

So I haven't heard anything about may map yet (27), anything that needs fixing?

Pointless exit screen.

I searched for a while, but I didn't see anything broken, so I guess this feedback is pretty useless. You can wake the monsters in the exit room before you open any doors, but you probably knew that already.

I love the BFG secret, the archvile/chaingunner setup in the BFG room, and the exit room. It's the right length for Plutonia, and everything looks great. I'm not sure how I would have played the blue key room without the BFG, but it doesn't seem insurmountable.

Cool, good to hear. I did finish it waaay back when there were maybe 3 maps to test so I got a bunch of feedback from dew and hawkwind, hehe. Blue key room does take some foreknowledge, but I believe I've done it spamming RL and some plasma.

ArmouredBlood said:

Blue key room does take some foreknowledge, but I believe I've done it spamming RL and some plasma.

Uh... there's a RL and a PG in this map? ^_^'

I exited with just SSG, CG and BFG...

ArmouredBlood said:

E*:lovely spelling mistake now immortalized in a quote, heheh.

Should I remove it? I think it looks nice. :3

Grain of Salt said:

Should I remove it? I think it looks nice. :3

I'm waiting for him to respond with "Yes you my." :P

Also, I liked MAP27. Short n' sweet with a dynamite first (main) room.

Check the four pillars the chaingunners are on at the start. I guess it is kinda hard to see them until you run over them. And whatever you want with the typo, the more confusion the better ;p

@xaser: cool.

ArmouredBlood said:

Check the four pillars the chaingunners are on at the start. I guess it is kinda hard to see them until you run over them.

I should probably look at things before running past them. Facepalm.

What are those teleporter linedefs for, by the way? The pillar sectors aren't tagged, so I guess the only way to teleport is leap from the upper floor? Is it a shortcut for after you grab weapons?

ArmouredBlood said:

And whatever you want with the typo, the more confusion the better ;p

I think I'll keep it. It made me smile.

Grain of Salt said:

I should probably look at things before running past them. Facepalm.

What are those teleporter linedefs for, by the way? The pillar sectors aren't tagged, so I guess the only way to teleport is leap from the upper floor? Is it a shortcut for after you grab weapons?

Basically, except you can strafe run across them from the lower side too. I had them up there initially without the teleport linedefs (they teleport to the lift if you hadn't looked at it closely) and dew commented on how it takes a big chunk of time to go up, grab the weapons, then have to bring the lift down and go up again, especially with two pairs of pillars. So I got to thinking about how I'd just run across the pillars to the edge anyway, so I put em there, dew congratulated me on the cunning solution, and in the words of my physics professor, "there was much rejoicing."

@typo: it's your post.

I'm up to MAP26 or so now - and I'm still loving it. I've had one or two maps border on the frustrating, where I start cheating rather than having to play through them again, but otherwise its been very good.

One thing I did note is that MAP25 (Wicked Garden) was definitely by the same author as MAP15 (Enigma Helix), but I actually thought the smaller map played better. Aside from the Arch-Vile encounter right at the end of the map, it was also a fair sight easier, which struck me as a little odd.

My other main note, now that I've gotten through a lot of the maps, is that there are many homages and stylistic riffs borrowed from IWAD maps. Even when executed quite differently, the stylistic inspirations are quite obvious. I could be an arse and say this made the mapping seem unoriginal, but that'd be a flat out lie. I actually think the maps like this tend to help tie in the feeling of them being Plutonia-styled, even if they don't play much like the originals. Gives the whole thing a sort of cohesion.

This is great. It has all the Plutonia mainstays (new ugly face at the end, Cyberdemon-based MAP31, ridiculously self-referential MAP32, a map inspired by The Abandoned Mines/Tenements (although by way of Plutonia's own homages to these maps) and several other maps inspired by lesser IWAD maps). Also, I freaked out when I got to MAP18. "WTF, how am I in Sunder all of a sudden?"