Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vader

[WIP] The Shores of Zdoom (Oct 13: new pictures on page 6)

It's been a few years since KDiZD was released, so it's about time to announce its sequel: The Shores of ZDoom

About
Our goal is a reinterpretation of Doom's second episode, taking the original maps as a concept base for a new adventure of our own creation.
As with KDiZD, we're not only going to recreate the maps with a more modern appearance, but also add new areas to them to spice up the maps everyone knows so well already.
However, although we are adding more complexity to the maps, we hope to have learned from the mistakes made with KDiZD and we are taking special care to incorporate the layout changes as naturally as possible into the original works and make the resulting levels flow as smoothly as possible.

The team has been working on the project for quite some time now and although progress is rather slow, we're heading somewhere at least. We're also looking for additional mappers, but more on that later...

Screenshots

What is planned/being worked on
- 10 maps + Intermap (UDMF format, SP and Coop friendly)
- new enemies (a few completely new and a few already seen in KDiZD)
- lots of other new content (decorations, textures, sounds etc.)
- new weapon (maybe)

We need help
Considering the large scale of the project and seeing the progress done so far, we decided to look for additional mappers to help us out.
However, we have set ourselves a very high standard when it comes to the visual appearance of the maps and we need to make sure new mappers can keep up with that!
It's not just about the visual design though, we're also trying to keep up with the maps' layouts and added or modified areas need to feel like natural extensions to the originals.
Because of that, we need to ask everyone interested in joining to produce a small-scale demo area to demonstrate your mapping style. It doesn't have to be anything ground breaking, but it should show your understanding of space, architecture and texturing.
It should also be mentioned that we're looking for people willing to stay around for a long time, since we don't want to start looking for new people again a few weeks later!
So if you're interested, just send me a pm and you'll get the textures to create your demo area.

Release
When it's done :P

Keep up the good work, this looks excelent and the new textures just look so pretty :)
I'm looking forward for this ^^

Just a small question thought, maps will be in UDMF format but does this mean it will have a few GZDoom features or will it stay ZDoom only like the first one?

Well, I can't actually recognize a single area from these shots, but that might just be because I hate E2 so much. :P I Normally I might be interested in trying out for a mapping spot, but it looks like I'm going to be busy for the next few months, so it's probably best to hold off on that for now.

For the most part though, I like what I see so far.

Are you guys going to go back and fix the problems with KDiZD?

This new one looks impressive so far, though! Can't wait for the Spawning Vats remake, that was my favorite from the original Episode 2.

Fancy looking stuff here! I'd help out but zdoom mapping scares me, heh.

A modern-day E2 remake? YES.

All I can say about it is, remember Z1M3? Don't do that again. :)

Sodaholic said:

Is E2M2 in any of these shots?

The final screenshot is a small section of E2M2, which Brinks has been working on.

As far as the couple of KDiZD-related questions, future KDiZD updates are possible but unlikely - all the critical bugfixing has been taken care of, and we're more interested in progressing forwards and making new stuff than we are in revising the KDiZD maps everyone has already had lots of time to play to their hearts' content by now.

In these maps we've put a lot of care and attention into the alterations being made to the base layouts of the e2 levels they're based upon, and have largely replaced the ad-hoc group-development process of KDiZD's layouts. The end result is feeling very natural and coherent, at least in my opinion from what I've played of what's being worked on; the extensions are being used to bring the maps together more and increase the potential for exploration without forcing the player onto the long, unavoidable and frustrating linear quests that were one of my biggest beefs with KDiZD.

This is for ZDoom, by the way, and is built to be fully compatible with software mode.

Also, in order of posting, the shots posted are from:

E2M4 (start area's big hex-tile lobby)
E2M6 (one of those weird distant rooms past the no-access sign)
E2M3 (outdoor scene from start of map)
E2M6 (new area connected to yellow key trap)
E2M1 (overlooking 'control room')
E2M7 (northeast room leading to the crate storage warehouse)
E2M6 (new cave area)
E2M3 (south connecting room between wings)

E2M7 (new area extended from the originally dead-end northwest stairway)
E2M4 (nukage river with floating hex-tile buildings)
E2M7 (northeast corridors leading to the crate storage warehouse)
E2M7 (gray/blue techbase area)
E2M7 (UAC vats corridor)
E2M6 (new demonic exit area)
E2M3 (hellcave)
E2M2 (cratemaze entrance)

Hell yea, I am waiting for this....tho I never got around to completing KDiZD.

Im scared it's going to be as slow and boring as KDiZD was. The screenshots show off some pretty small rooms.

The 2nd screenshot has a red force-field... is that deadly?

In the 7th screenshot I see a Spider demon lookalike... is it an arachnotron or a custom monster derived from the Spider demon? Does TSoZD have the same sprite copyright policy as KDiZD, therefore excluding any Doom 2 art?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

printz said:

The 2nd screenshot has a red force-field... is that deadly?

Nope, we decided insta-kill forcefields are lame :P They behave like the ones in Z1M9 or Thunderpeak (damage + thrust back).

Does TSoZD have the same sprite copyright policy as KDiZD, therefore excluding any Doom 2 art?

Yes!

esselfortium said:

E2M6 (new area connected to yellow key trap)

Almost, it's connected to the blue key trap ;)

All the screenshots look great.

Though only some of them look like EP2 to me. The others look like KDIZD, which I felt, though a good mod, didn't look very overly like EP1. I hope the KDIZD style and this new more visually faithful style don't clash.

EDIT: I would nitpick the curved hatch door on the fith shot as looking bad though. I'd switch it position wise with the vents to the right of it.

Second screenshot is awesome.

Will there be stealth monsters? (OH PLEASE SAY NO)

While it does look great its hard to get excited about because it probably won't be released for several years yet.

Are you bringing in-fighting back? After layout design I remember lack of in-fighting to be the biggest critism of KDiZD. The counter-argument of it turning into a mass brawl due to the new monster types were sensible but that could be circumnavigated by grouping certain types of monsters into classes that don't in-fight (imp variants for example), reducing new custom monsters and using strategic thing placement.

1. Stealth monsters will probably be not, unless they're nightmares. I hope there'll be nightmares, considering KDiZD had its last mission with them in it.

2. It will not be as "confusing" as KDiZD, the OP already said in the first post.

3. In-fighting better be back, no Graf Zahl excuse, because ZDoom now has better means to handle it.

40oz said:

Im scared it's going to be as slow and boring as KDiZD was. The screenshots show off some pretty small rooms.

E2 itself has a lot of small rooms. Lots of narrow corridors and flat areas, too. Many of the changes and adjustments we've made have actually involved enlarging scenes where appropriate, and incorporating height variation and better interconnectivity. I've enlarged nearly every room I've worked on so far in E2M7, to allow for more freedom in player movement while maintaining the claustrophobic feel of the original map through lighting and visual design.

Episode 2, at least in my mind, involved a lot of exploration and slowed down the pace a bit from episode 1. There is exploration in this, but it absolutely should not be boring or confusing if we're doing our jobs right. "No bullshit backtracking" was one of the first design guidelines we set down when TSoZD was in the planning stages.