Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vader

[WIP] The Shores of Zdoom (Oct 13: new pictures on page 6)

Marnetmar said:

I'm pretty sure they will. Look what they did with E1M1 for christ's sake.

that's going to be the exact opposite of the 1994-style "doom the way id did it"

Note that both Fortress of Mystery and Tower of Babel look like towers on the minimap. It will be impractical to map towers in vanilla ZDoom.

Archi said:

I think it's a bad idea.

Elaborate.

Just curious; what do you guys think of my version of the rifle?

Voxels are pretty much serve what the rotation sprites served: to allow the items to be seen from any angle. I think voxels would be an improvement, it would look much more natural. The sprites looked kinda odd if you ask me.

Voxels only do the same concept, but better.

Solarn said:

Hmm... now I want to see if that's possible with Eternity portals and a shitload of scripting.

Please let me know if you have any luck. I'm admittedly not nearly skilled enough to see the concept brought to life.

As for contacting Id about my ideas, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I severely doubt they'd take any design concepts from some random DOOM fan e-mailing them. :)

Does Risen work on TSoZD? What about TheDarkArchon, NiGHTMARE or ellmo? What about NMN and Graf Zahl?

printz said:

Does Risen work on TSoZD? What about TheDarkArchon, NiGHTMARE or ellmo? What about NMN and Graf Zahl?

Risen has started working on commercial games for bigger game companies (one example to mention is Little Big Planet), TheDarkArchon is actually part of the quality control afaik, Nightmare is actively mapping and texturing for TSoZD, ellmo isn't part of the team and so isn't NMN, Graf Zahl is also there for quality control and engine-specific stuff.

Too bad ellmo and NMN aren't working on it...

Tormentor667 said:

Graf Zahl is also there for quality control and engine-specific stuff.

Won't he map? I really liked Z1M7...

Torr Samaho said:

that's going to be the exact opposite of the 1994-style "doom the way id did it"

DTWID isn't 1994 PWAD style. The idea behind DTWID is to design levels that look like they would've appeared in the original IWAD.

printz said:

Won't he map? I really liked Z1M7...

I didn't actually do any actual mapping. On Z1M7 all I did was fixing the gameplay which was pretty much broken when I took over. Meaning I changed the order in which you get the keys and changed the monster placement in some parts of the map.

We'll see how much involvement will be possible. For the last 3 years I have been in a job that sucked all creativity out of me.

But things are looking better right now and if I am lucky some important things may change in a few months - but I can't talk about it right now.

printz said:

Too bad ellmo and NMN aren't working on it...

Both of them would be a great support and most propably have the skill and experience to achieve what we aim for, but unfortunately, they are lacking time or interest.

On the subject of Hell slowly assimilating the UAC base, it looks like that's what's happening in the E2M7 shot of the invuln hallway, but in a new and IMO very cool way.

Rather than just having vines or flesh growing over shit (not that this isn't neat) it looks like the very building materials UAC used are being transmuted into hellish stone, but without really changing the architecture so much. So you have metal gradually melding into brick and STARTAN becoming what looks like brown marble (at first I wondered if it was just supposed to be rusting, but the color looks too uniform, the texture too marble-ish, and the whole thing looks like a transition to a more hellish stonework hallway beyond). In the latter case, the distinctive STARTAN panel shape remains even after the transformation, which just blows me away because it implies that Hell's not just tearing out stuff and putting stone blocks in--rather, the influence/presence of Hell is causing existing objects and structures to change their "essence" at a molecular level. You can also see this in the brick concourses following the exact lines of the metal ones, and of UAC brown metal/composite becoming green marble up above.

THAT is an example of the sort of idea I love!

Even cooler if people themselves were turned into bricks or wood (as dead, not golemic) or if the player were threatened this way.

Idea: When you start to get close to the final boss, on some occasions you will see a transparent (apparition?) version of it standing in front of you briefly while a midi version of the exorcist theme plays.

I'm not sure if that's possible in Zdoom, though.

By the way, I doubt the TSoZD mappers will take this to heart, and it'd probably be even more time-consuming to do, but perhaps they should consider flagging minor map details to not show up on the automap. One problem with KDiZD (and just super-detailed maps in general) is that the automap becomes insanely hard to read with these hundreds and thousands of detail lines everywhere. Just making ceiling decoration lines invisible would probably greatly improve the usefulness of the automap.

Just something I've been bugged by in the past that I thought I'd mention.

Tormentor667 said:

Both of them would be a great support and most propably have the skill and experience to achieve what we aim for, but unfortunately, they are lacking time or interest.

You're correct Tormentor, Nmn is lacking time like never before, poor guy's studying from morning to night to pass his artistic college to say. Main reason why my project (look up Saturnus on WIP. Hasn't been updated in months though) is on hold. I honestly don't know when my project will continue since it constantly requires new music/graphics. So yeah, generally he's busy to an extreme point.

You guys should hide as many lines as possible, to avoid the automap looking cluttered as hell. It's probably not too important, so it could easily be put off until last minute before release.

Sodaholic said:

You guys should hide as many lines as possible, to avoid the automap looking cluttered as hell. It's probably not too important, so it could easily be put off until last minute before release.

It'd probably take days to do it all at once, honestly.

esselfortium said:

Doesn't block-selecting the linedefs in the middle of the corridor work?

esselfortium said:

Make your automap display the textures and you don't have to bother anymore.

printz said:

Doesn't block-selecting the linedefs in the middle of the corridor work?

No? Don't make me start posting Doom Builder shots :P

Vader said:

Heh, we're actually doing it this time Megamur!

Excellent! :)

Tormentor667 said:

Make your automap display the textures and you don't have to bother anymore.

Does that even work in ZDoom? I thought that was only a GZDoom feature.

Vermil said:

It would be cool if an area of a map the player travels through more than once starts off looking like the Deimos tech base, but by their last run through the area, Hell has began to creep over it. To represent that the base is warping in front of the player, so to speak.

This is exactly what I have planned for E2M5. The second room in the map (which has been enlarged somewhat) will serve as a hub for other areas of the map. When you first enter it, it's pure tech base: cement, tech walls, and silver; as you progress through the level, it gradually transforms into marble, wood, and metal.

Hopefully we can add some screenshots of this map in the near future. I'm actively working on it, but more work needs to be done before there's anything screenshot-worthy.

NiGHTMARE said:

This is exactly what I have planned for E2M5. The second room in the map (which has been enlarged somewhat) will serve as a hub for other areas of the map.

You mean the room right behind the first door you face in vanilla Doom?

I'm think he's referring to the room with hallways and multiple paths after the first big room you encounter (when you open the starting door in the level), and after you climb up the stairs on either side.

Marnetmar said:

An early version of TSOZD was posted on Zdoom's forums not too long ago, it's amazing!

I want my 8.3 Mb back. Thanks. :P

Looking forward to the actual project tho.