Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vader

[WIP] The Shores of Zdoom (Oct 13: new pictures on page 6)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I want my 8.3 Mb back. Thanks. :P

Sorry it disappointed you, not our fault you don't have taste!

Graf Zahl said:

For the record, I normally play through E1 in <40 minutes with 100% kills and 100% secrets so by your reasoning KDiZD should have been completable in twice that.

My best time for E2 is around 50 minutes so again, if ZSoZD took me less than 2 hours (which would be the upper limit of 'acceptable' according to you I'd be severerly disappointed.

All in all, it matters absolutely zero how long it takes to play it, so long as the journey itself is made worthwhile.

I'd rather be able to beat an awesome mod in an hour as opposed to drudge through crap for five.

any reason not to do a hub design? Figured you were adding new features, why not a hub? Probably too hard to coordinate with all the mappers?

Marnetmar said:

I think they said they were going for a hub design.

really? I need to read the whole thread then. :-)

A lot of these screenshots look a lot like just good maps. With the exception of that shot with the vines and the one with the modified CEMENT textures, I'm not really seeing much that reminds me of The Shores of Hell at all.

^ Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. While these shots do look good, there really isn't anything that reminds me of E2, outside of one screenshot.

Marnetmar said:

I think they said they were going for a hub design.

You must have misread something, we're not going for a hub!

@40oz:
I might make a difference seeing the areas in-game, as I personally think the maps have been designed to stay true (in terms of texturing and shape to the original) areas in most cases.
I say in most cases, because there are obviously things that had to be modified in order to add new areas for example.

Anyway, any suggestions? Could you point out something that is typical for E2 and missing in those screenshots?

40oz said:

A lot of these screenshots look a lot like just good maps. With the exception of that shot with the vines and the one with the modified CEMENT textures, I'm not really seeing much that reminds me of The Shores of Hell at all.

Good; The Shores of Hell is ugly. :P

Seriously though, I'm don't really know what you're expecting to see, but ingame I find it pretty easy to tell exactly where I am in, for instance, Vader's z2m6. If you're looking for obvious and direct replicas with the original texturing intact or something, you're not going to find them. These maps aren't clones of the original e2 with a bunch of added computer garbage on the walls, we're just taking the layouts and themes as guidelines and bases to reinterpret.

40oz said:

I'm not really seeing much that reminds me of The Shores of Hell at all.

I consider that an accomplishment.

episode 2 is my favorite despite its clashing textures because of its atmosphere. it is also my favorite to speed run.

esselfortium said:

No, 'cause you guys are just gonna keep bitching about them :P

Sorry if I came across as bitching, I guess I was hoping for something that had a similar atmosphere but with an updated modern styled architecture.

Anyway, I'll take E2 over the rest of UD because of it's gameplay / atmosphere. Hell I'd take it over newer projects like RTC-3057 as well.

Sigvatr said:

I think I might have made some of those textures :/

To my knowledge, every texture used in TSoZD is by NiGHTMARE, Vader, Tormentor, or myself, and they're all either original or based on Doom resources. I think a few wood textures might be edits (made with permission) of textures originally Jonathan Rimmer? Definitely nothing of yours in there, though. (Which ones are you looking at?)

Nice shots.

BUT!

Too complicated, as KDiZD was.

Damnit, I love details, but these gusys have never tried to make a correct level size. Even Z1M1 was big as ASS! Some people are very megalomaniac!

Why is it good?

Nearly everyone working on The Shores of ZDoom had no involvement with KDiZD's creation.

Smooth, sane level flow has been a major focus in development for these maps; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

C30N9 said:

Imagine if 94's Doom was like this.

There weren't any computers in 1994, which could handle that big maps like this. Even GothicDM maps in 1999 crashes several computers, as I've heard on Doom Wiki.

esselfortium said:

Nearly everyone working on The Shores of ZDoom had no involvement with KDiZD's creation.

Smooth, sane level flow has been a major focus in development for these maps; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Well, I'll see the final result, and then, I'll modify my opinion. Hopefully. =)