Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Schutzengel

Sensitivity

In Quake Live and most Valve games I used a sensitivity of 1.723 on a 400 DPI mouse which equates to 50cm/360. In zDoom the sensitivity is calculated a bit differently and 1.723 is a bit high. What is a formula I can use to figure out what sensitivity I need to perform a 50cm/360 turn.

Different games need different sensitivities, don't use one consistent number (think ql vs et vs cs). A good rule of thumb is make sure your sens is high enough that you can make a 180 turn in one mouse movement. Once you've got that make a bullet mark on a wall or choose something else as a point of reference and try to keep your mouse exactly on it during the entire strafe, if you can't then adjust your sens until you can. Also make sure mouse accel is off.

if you don't use accel it's pretty simple, take a ruler and measure 50 cm, move your mouse and adjust your sens value until you turn exactly 360° over this distance. that's how i adjust my sens so i have the same in every game. this is more accurate than throwing your mouse around trying to guess the right sens.

sens values have no meaning, they can be very different depending on your mouse, dpi, windows sens, drivers, resolution, OS and so on.
for example i play at 1920x1200 and use a logitech wingman with deathadder optics built in, mouse dpi is 900, 6th notch in windows 7, no accel, and i need 30 cm for 360° which is just mouse_sens 0.17 in gzdoom.

speaking of mouse sens, i saw your thread about noskill's config. ok i've answered that in the demo forum already.

it seems to me that earlier players used higher sensitivities on average, especially those playing much deathmatch because of the player's speed in doom. those flashy 180° swing shots were essential to catch a player zipping by, combined with doom's arsenal being mostly effective at close range. at least, that was my experience with this, i used just 9 cm for 360° back then, 10 years and more ago.

now, since modern games are a lot slower than doom and reward pixel aim, average mouse sens became lower too. gaming mice became bulkier to reflect that, most can be gripped with the palm.

there's is a thread on esreality.com (really good site for such questions) on sens used by top gamers, most were in the 25-35 cm range, and that's quake3 which is insanely fast compared to tactical shooters. i noticed this in some modern doom demos too that players have less flashy movement, and their speed comes more from consistency (skepticist, j4rio, okuplok, qaatar). what sens do you guys use in doom, in cm/360°? i lowered my sens over time since my old sens was great for swing shots but sucked for everything else, especially tracking aim.

btw, here are some more links on calibrating your mouse:

http://phoon.us/mouse/

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fovcalc.php

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Mouse-Sensitivity-Exporter.shtml

(no idea if this one works)

Yeah, I'm having some sensitivity issues too. It sometimes takes me twelve hours to come. Or maybe my fetishes are just too strict.

I tried with mine and it seems it takes me about 10cm at most. And all this time I thought I played with low sens. Hmm, maybe that's why my aim is so poor! Yes, I'm definitely going with that as an excuse now...

I don't understand how would one play with anything over 20-25cm per 360, though. Seems like you'd move your hand a lot, and have your right arm in a very uncomfortable middle position, unless you're very tall and/or have long arms.

no, in the 10 cm range one uses mostly the wrist for moving the mouse, forearm fixed on the table. in the 25-30 cm the forearm moves, but it's not uncomfortable. at least, it seems this requires less warming up than high sens. 50+ is more like rowing ;)

i've improved my aim, but become less nimble. there's this trade off. for example, i open a door, and there's a horde of monsters that start shooting. back then, i would spin around, run back, turn 180° again, because turning is so easy. now it's more like just running backwards, without turning. which keeps the door in the field of view all the time, but leaves the back more vulnerable.

6 cm for 360 in prb+, no acceleration. I find it surprisingly comfortable this way.

Technician said:

Yeah, I'm having some sensitivity issues too.

I break down over the littlest things );

On topic, I remember when 35 was the perfect sensitivity for me on Chocolate Doom. Now it seems slow for some reason. I wish I had a more definite way of measuring, but I pretty much just make minor adjustments then spin around and see how it feels.

Speaking of which, how do you get absolute zero acceleration in Windows again? Isn't the lowest setting still accelerate some?

mouse sens is a personal thing, there's nothing like the perfect setting. i use 20cm/360 and i know excellent players with both lower and higher rate. mine is a product of compromise between deathmatching and rocketjumping in zdaemon, i also use different sens for vertical/horizontal (m_yaw 0.75, m_pitch 0.85).

DuckReconMajor said:

Speaking of which, how do you get absolute zero acceleration in Windows again? Isn't the lowest setting still accelerate some?

there are several mouse accel fixes, depending on your OS. i use this one by markc for windows 7, 64bit.

Torr Samaho said:

this is more accurate than throwing your mouse around trying to guess the right sens.

It's more accurate in the sense that you will have a similar sens in every game but that's not always appropriate, most games require different sensitivities. Even within the same game different guns could require different sensitivities (lg/rg/rl in ql/q3a for example). Some games are easier with low sens (CoD1 comes to mind) where as others work best with a high sens (QW/QL etc). You should find a reasonable sensitivity and then adjust it as needed. To use a consistent sens will definitely impair your playing although you will adjust to it but it will not be as efficent as possible.

I've used a ruler to measure and have found that 1.1 sensitivity in zDOOM on 6 sensitivity in Windows and a 400 CPI mouse is pretty close to 50cm/360.

Wow, I just checked and I use about 6cm/360 & no accel. It's probably so high in Doom due to the fast movement speed. I try and keep my sensitivity consistent across games but find myself making adjustments to my sensitivity in relation to player movement speed until it feels right for the game.

For instance, my sensitivity is WAY too high if I were to play Doom without Auto-run.