Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What if Doom 4 suffers the same fate as Duke Nukem Forever?

Use3D said:

What exactly are you talking about? Rage isn't getting any more hype than any other modern title. In fact id has been fairly modest about the game.

Id hasn't been modest about rage at all.

Of course ID wouldn't be modest about Rage, its been 5+ years since their last game. If you did 1 thing in 5 years, you'd brag too. I think Rage got more hype from the media at last year's E3 than its getting this year.

An id software game gets attention at an electronic gaming expo? Truly these are the end of days.

I think ID feels a need to hype and elaborate on Rage, because most people hear car racing combat? Doesn't Twisted metal do that? wtf is ID doing? All we care about is Doom. Rawrrrr! Give us Doom 4 so we can bash it into the ground. So now in interviews they mention Rage is FPS, but to get from point A to B you need to drive.

Nope, but people consider Doom 3 a fail, because it wasn't Doom 2.

this thread is filled with stupid assumptions and terribly misinformed people

i think it's hilarious how little you guys think of id after they are the ones who basically invented the fps genre

sad, really

btw:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85484-John-Carmack-Sheds-Some-Light-On-Doom-4

John Carmack of id Software has shed some early light on Doom 4, saying the game will shift away from the horror stylings of Doom 3 to become more of a pure action title.

Carmack said the game would be "significantly different" in a recent interview with Shacknews, admitting that complaints about the "contrived nature of monsters hiding in a closet" in Doom 3 as well as the game's extreme darkness were "completely valid." As a result, Doom 4 will be more akin to Doom 2 than to its direct predecessor.

Which is nothing that hasn't been seen or said before. You'll notice the date on that article is August 08.

Also, these guys don't think "little" of id. You just have to remember that this is primarily a site dedicated to Classic Doom, which has a fairly different feel to most modern games. And considering the only modernisation of Doom they have to draw experience from is Doom 3, which failed to meet so many people's hopes and expectations, they are of course going to be cautious and wary of another modern Doom game.

I'm optimistic though, based on what little info has come out. They're going in a different direction than Doom 3, and not making a direct sequel to any of the previous games. These are two good steps.

AirRaid said:

Which is nothing that hasn't been seen or said before. You'll notice the date on that article is August 08.

2008, yet clearly there are people in this thread who haven't heard about it but have no problem giving their uninformed opinions

all i'm saying is, some of these people are too quick to jump to a conclusion without any information

people saying things like "i bet they're going to make it just like doom 3", when there have been public statements by id staff saying otherwise, is just stupid

Welcome to the internet. People are stupid, and generally too lazy to read properly. You don't have to shout at every single person who says something stupid. If you did, you'd be here all day.

I just read the article. The bottom line I got from it is... we know people hate darkness and monster closets and people need to kick ass.

I think they've figured out kicking ass involves more than facing 1 to 3 enemies at a time. Like a shooting gallery has to have multiple targets otherwise its just a shooting range.

It was interesting to see they were making a survival horror game too. That's what Doom 3 seemed like when compared to the original 2 Dooms. Slow, clunky, few enemies at a time.