Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlazingOwnager

Which is the best port for co-op Hexen?

Hey, I've been having trouble finding an ideal port to play co-op Hexen.

I've tried GZDoom, which would be fine, except it will not allow realtime loading in addition to suffering desync issues on fast lifts. This obviously kind of sucks of Hexen.

Before that, we tried JDoom, which worked entirely great. Except for one huge problem: Everytime a client uses an item, it uses in multiples of 3-6. This worked no matter who the client was, and changing the keyboard ticks didn't fix it - it's just like it was bound to multiple instances of Use.

Since items are so important in Hexen, obviously this was not good.

Which client would you recommend?

BlazingOwnager said:

Before that, we tried JDoom, which worked entirely great. Except for one huge problem: Everytime a client uses an item, it uses in multiples of 3-6.

Which version of Dday? All multiplayer is broken in the current 1.9 betas. Still, all released versions of Dday have a different issue in HeXen multiplayer if the players are different classes. But if all players are the same class, Dday 1.8.6 is probably the most accurate port for MP HeXen as of writting

If you cannot find anything else, from what I know, DoomLegacy 2.0 got Hexen support, and has Coop play. It is not released because they still wanted to write/rewrite the network code. It may still have the old network code and may work to some degree (but would not make bets on it).

You would have to get it from the SourgeForge DoomLegacy SVN repository, and compile it yourself. DoomLegacy (which is 2.0) and DoomLegacy_one
(which is 1.44) are side-by-side in the SourceForge SVN repository.

It would help if you were prepared to bug fix.

BlazingOwnager said:

realtime loading

What do you mean by that exactly?

You could try Skulltag. Its roughly like an older GZDoom, but with a client/server netcode (and some additional stuff that that you can ignore when not playing Doom II).

Has anyone actually ever played through Hexen in co-op as a 3 player team utilizing all the classes? I wouldn't mind doing that.