Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ligisd

Anything new you would like to see in wad making tools?

I would personally like to se a full development kit.
Containing Music soft, map making prog, wad editor, texture editor +++

An extremely stable all in one combination of Doom builder 2 and Slade 3, but they're already brilliant programs on their own and it's not much effort just to open both apps.

bgraybr said:

A "true 3D" editor for ports like GZDoom.

Doom Builder 2 has the GZDoom editing plugin for that.

printz said:

Doom Builder 2 has the GZDoom editing plugin for that.

I thought that it just allowed you to preview 3D effects. I meant an editor that would just treat Doom like a 3D game, and you would be able to "pull" sections out of a wall to create a 3D bridge and sectors and such would be automatically handled.

The ability to play the game while in the Doombuilder 2 3D editor. The best you can do now is turn on gravity.

bgraybr said:

I thought that it just allowed you to preview 3D effects. I meant an editor that would just treat Doom like a 3D game, and you would be able to "pull" sections out of a wall to create a 3D bridge and sectors and such would be automatically handled.

Of course, that's too much work to do for Doom Builder. I simply meant that you can preview 3d effects, and manipulate their heights etc.

TrueDude said:

The ability to play the game while in the Doombuilder 2 3D editor. The best you can do now is turn on gravity.

Which does not even match with Doom's gravity OMFG!!!1one

Agreed. There is a strong, dark, rich requirement for a wad tool designed espressoly for the brewing of coffee.

Of course, somebody needs to implement HTCPCP in a Doom engine, as well as the editors.

Description libraries inside such an super wad editor

so u know what all the lumps do and what they're used for
also good direct links to ZDoomWiki in case the descriptions isnt enough :)

While we are wishing, I'd like a Doom editor that works from the sound of my voice. You know, like Cmdr LaForge from Star Trek: Next Generation gets to do all the time. He talks to the ships computer and not only does it do what he wants, but asks questions as well to make a better program. Now that is what I would call an Editor!

phobosdeimos1 said:

An extremely stable all in one combination of Doom builder 2 and Slade 3, but they're already brilliant programs on their own and it's not much effort just to open both apps.

I agree, it's a pain the ass having to open two programs when you want to edit both the map and the lumps.

Well, eventually slade3 will have a map editor. Whether it's as good as db2, well that's up to user preference I guess :P I certainly plan on implementing all the important features, at least.

Honestly, I don't know if it should be the business of WAD tools to try and be a jack-of-all-trades. The software for creating all of that content is extremely specialized (include Doom Builder), and I think you would be hard pressed to try and match the quality of all of those programs.

Think about stuff like Photoshop, audio and music editors, and so forth.

Normally I'd agree, but doom editing is nowhere near as complex as some of the other stuff you mentioned. SLADE 2.0 had all (if not more) of the features of the original doom builder, and many from db2. I see absolutely no reason I can't get that and more into the map editor for SLADE 3.

The only thing I'm concerned about in that regard is having the interaction between resource and map editing intuitive enough, and not feeling like you're just using two separate programs anyway.

SlayeR said:

SLADE 2.0 had all (if not more) of the features of the original doom builder, and many from db2.

Even interactive 3d view?

An option to replace sprites without having to redo the offsets again would be nice. :P

printz said:

Even interactive 3d view?

Just looked on the Slade site:

MISSING FROM PREVIOUS (will come in later 2.0 betas / 2.0 final):
-> 3d Mode slopes
-> Fancy script editor with hilighting etc
-> Few more things I'm sure

...that was probably just a list of some of the upcoming features (never used any old versions of Slade myself so don't know), but if you read the old news page you'll see that Slade's 3D editor was at least as powerful as the one in Doom Builder 2, if not more so. Why I didn't hear of this before now, I don't know. I guess it has something to do with the popularity of Doom Builder an Slade's incomplete-ness. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the completed version of Slade even more than I already was. :D

I think it's because of the name. "Doom Builder" has always sounded welcoming (and appeared late enough to look fresh), compared to "SLADE", which is either an acronym or some guy's name.

printz said:

..... compared to "SLADE", which is either an acronym or some guy's name.

If I recall correctly, it stands for SlayeR's Doom Editor.

bgraybr said:

Just looked on the Slade site:

MISSING FROM PREVIOUS (will come in later 2.0 betas / 2.0 final):
-> 3d Mode slopes
-> Fancy script editor with hilighting etc
-> Few more things I'm sure

...that was probably just a list of some of the upcoming features (never used any old versions of Slade myself so don't know), but if you read the old news page you'll see that Slade's 3D editor was at least as powerful as the one in Doom Builder 2, if not more so. Why I didn't hear of this before now, I don't know. I guess it has something to do with the popularity of Doom Builder an Slade's incomplete-ness. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the completed version of Slade even more than I already was. :D

That is from a very long time ago, heh. But yeah, those mentioned features (slopes in 3d mode etc) were in SLADE 1.x. They all should be in the map editor in 3.1, too. Hopefully :P

And Mithran Denizen got the acronym right. I wouldn't call that an official name for it though, just SLADE will do (I named it so long ago I don't even remember if the acronym or the full title came first :P)