Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Doom4game.com

Either this is a hoax pretending to be id, it is id, or it's a fansite. Those would be my guesses.

Clonehunter said:

No.

EDIT: Okay, now I know something. It is a black canvas with a fake Doom 4 Logo.

ID might have bought the domain name in advance. Eh.

didnt you/ someone bring this up in another thread?

ok, fine damnit, ill give it a look.

EDIT: saw it somewhere else. And they better not call doom4 just "DOOM"

Clonehunter said:

No.

EDIT: Okay, now I know something. It is a black canvas with a fake Doom 4 Logo.

Well yeah but why would someone spend their money on a domain just to do that? That logo isn't fake though. It originated on Id's website.

A WHOIS search seems to show that it's set up through one of the fairly el-cheapo registrars, so it's not like it'd be cutting into their life savings. The registrant info is obscured by WhoisGuard, so you can't suss much from that, either.

My first impression would be that this is set up by some domain name squatter; perhaps someone hoping to sell it to Id in the future for profit or something similarly harebrained. I guess it could just as easily be official, though. I don't particularly care either way, really.

Read the site's source. Ammong other stuff there is:
"Doom4Game.com -Your Definitive Source for all Doom4!" and
"Doom4Game.com is your Up-To-Minute Coverage of Doom4! News, Reviews, Trailers, Downloads, and More."
Sounds like an upcomming fan-site to me...

Well thought I'd pop in... I actually own that domain. My intentions are to have fan site for all things doom 4 related. I just came back from being overseas, so hopefully if all goes right, I should have have it all completed by 20th of July. I just threw up a simple splash page until I can get something more 'eye' appealing when I have the time.

I'm not asking for profit as someone thought. ;)

Well it better not be another one of those generic, badly designed sites that's forgotten about after two days and features a bunch of supposed screenshots that are actually from Doom 3 and Rage...

DoomUK said:

I stand corrected. I hope they don't change it, then

Indeed. The Doom 3 logo for example looked really generic, boring and featureless. I hope this Doom (4) logo stays and doesn't get replaced by some 2d simple text.

Cire said:

Sounds like an upcomming fan-site generic boilerplate text cybersquatter domain site to me...

FTFY.

printz said:

Indeed. The Doom 3 logo for example looked really generic, boring and featureless.

I don't know what they didn't keep that other Doom 3 logo design with the reflection of the martian horizon. I thought that one was much more distictive, though that's not really saying much.

[edit: I'm referring to this one.]

kristus said:

Probably because it was fugly.

I'd have to take the early conceptual D3 logo over the one that later became the official logo. Besides the aesthetic differences I think it's representative of a time when the game was more fresh and interesting in general. This screams of "dull and uninspired because we can't overextend our imaginations", which isn't too far removed from how I feel about the more negative aspects of the game itself.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this :/

DoomUK said:

Maybe I'm just overthinking this :/

I'd say you are.

Doom 3 was always a 're-imagining' of Doom. The logo was designed to hark back to the original.

AirRaid said:

Doom 3 was always a 're-imagining' of Doom. The logo was designed to hark back to the original.

The new one looks too skinny/flat unlike all the others, and I hate that power-of-3 notation that was fashionable at that time, making the logo look asymmetrical. The old "Doom III" logo may have looked "gay" by some people's standards (such as myk), but the III, the thickness and foreboding angle looked awesome.

Well I thought I'd post a small preview of the site as many people believe this is some hoax. Before you start posting this is not a Doom 4 image (yes doom 3) its a image place holder so don't jump to conclusions.... there is a few more things that need to be added, but you can see its real and not a "squatter" lol.

Shun the nonbelievers :)

Marnetmar said:

Well it better not be another one of those generic, badly designed sites that's forgotten about after two days and features a bunch of supposed screenshots that are actually from Doom 3 and Rage...

I hope this isn't one of those generic, badly designs your referring to ;)