Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thamuzzz

see through surfaces for water?

Hey, i recently came across a wad called 'Cheogsh' or somthing along the lines of that, and in one of the rooms it had a swimming pool with real deep water, only the surface was clear, and i was able to see a blue armour pickup quite clearly at the bottom. I thought this looke cool, but all my deep water parts have an opaque surface, and in my opinion doesnt look as good :/ anyone know how to acheive this effect?

You probably saw an instance of translucent 3D floors being used as swimmable water. At least that's how I've been doing translucent water effects for a while now, since ZDoom started supporting 3D floors in software rendering.

Eternity portals might be able to do the same thing, and Vavoom, Doomsday and EDGE may be able to as well.

Mithran Denizen said:

You probably saw an instance of translucent 3D floors being used as swimmable water. At least that's how I've been doing translucent water effects for a while now, since ZDoom started supporting 3D floors in software rendering.

Eternity portals might be able to do the same thing, and Vavoom, Doomsday and EDGE may be able to as well.

EDGE can definitely do this.

Thamuzzz said:

'Cheogsh' ... had a swimming pool with real deep water, only the surface was clear, and i was able to see a blue armour pickup quite clearly at the bottom.

Cheogsh & Cheogsh2 are both for the port GZDooM, which supports translucent, 'swimmable' sectors. This allows for realistic-looking deep water such as this and this

Mithran Denizen said:

Risen3D can absolutely be added to the list, for both vanilla "deep water" effects and Boom sector heights.

Not sure about Doomsday though. Can someone else confirm/deny ?

I am sure I saw this working in prboom, I think it was Suspended in Dusk or similar, I know it was a transfer heights special that gave deep water and it was see through in prboom, are there colours that can be used for a water flat to make it see through? Or was I imagining it?

Maybe you saw that hackish vanilla(?) trick which essel(?) demonstrated for KDiKDiZD(?). From what I recall, it was a pretty limited effect, but it gave the illusion of a translucent flat and was sort of cool. I can't remember where I saw the images off-hand, though, or the specifics of how it worked.

That trick was just based on a better-known Boom trick using translucent linedefs aligned into the floor, though. The trick in question is visible in Phobos: Anomaly Reborn, among other wads I can't think of at the moment.

hawkwind said:

Not sure about Doomsday though. Can someone else confirm/deny ?

Its a no for Doomsday. Translucent middle sidedefs yes but not flats - we don't have any sector-over-sector features presently.