Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sheepmyshaver123

Help, monsters wake up after shoot

This is my construction of my Community Chest 4 map:

Imageshack prevents to show the image as the domain is unregistered. I've used imgur.

Well I nearly finished this part of the map (the exception is the first and second warehouse sectors, which is not completed). While testing, once shooting, every monster wakes up from the parts of the map circled red. The other parts of the map works fine. What is the problem?

Possible issues include - joined sectors, not enough doors (they're great sound blockers) and/or not enough sound blocking lines (if you don't want doors). Check for unclosed sectors, if some contain linedefs that should be facing a different sector you can get bizarre results like that.

SlayeR said:

Set the 'deaf' or 'ambush' flag on all the monsters, which makes them only wake up on seeing the player.

Don't do this. Deaf is a useful flag, but use it when you want deaf monsters, not because you don't understand how sound works.

GreyGhost said:

Possible issues include - joined sectors, not enough doors (they're great sound blockers) and/or not enough sound blocking lines (if you don't want doors). Check for unclosed sectors, if some contain linedefs that should be facing a different sector you can get bizarre results like that.

Do this.

In case you don't know, the way sound works: whenever you make a sound in a sector, every non-deaf monster in every sector that's connected (directly or indirectly) to that sector wakes up. 2sided lines only block sound if there's no middle space, or if they have the block sound flag (and then, the sound needs to hit two of them before it is blocked).

Yeah, sound blocking linedefs + more doors is what you want.

n case you don't know, the way sound works: whenever you make a sound in a sector, every non-deaf monster in every sector that's connected (directly or indirectly) to that sector wakes up. 2sided lines only block sound if there's no middle space, or if they have the block sound flag (and then, the sound needs to hit two of them before it is blocked).

good post/info

Heh. I tend to mark all monsters as deaf in my maps unless I specifically want them to wake up to sound (ie not often) :P

the ambush or "Deaf" flag doesn't always work, some times monsters will wake up opon hearing gunfire even if the "deaf" flag is set. and some times the "Block Sound" linedef also doesn't always work.

Darkforce002 said:

the ambush or "Deaf" flag doesn't always work, some times monsters will wake up opon hearing gunfire even if the "deaf" flag is set. and some times the "Block Sound" linedef also doesn't always work.

This is false. These don't "randomly" stop working and will always work correctly. If they do not work as expected, then there's a problem with how you've built your map, or a weird nodebuilder issue that occasionally happens. In either circumstance, both will still work exactly as they're meant to, either your monster is seeing through walls or your sound has found a way to travel beyond your linedefs (such as merged sectors either side of the line).

A "deaf" bad guy that has heard a gunshot gains 360 degree vision instead of the usual 128 degree vision a bad guy has.

One needs two "block sound" linedefs between the player and monster to block sound.

"Deaf" is a misnomer. The flag is internally called "ambush". The monsters hear you, they're just waiting before making their move.

Melon said:

...either your monster is seeing through walls...

Hate it when this starts happening. Do all node builders have this problem?

Melon said:

This is false. These don't "randomly" stop working and will always work correctly. If they do not work as expected, then there's a problem with how you've built your map, or a weird nodebuilder issue that occasionally happens. In either circumstance, both will still work exactly as they're meant to, either your monster is seeing through walls or your sound has found a way to travel beyond your linedefs (such as merged sectors either side of the line).

its not "randomly" happening, it just happens, even if you do everything right. thats why I try to avoid the "deaf" flag, instead I use "Block Monster" or "Dorment" flags. (all my maps that I tried and failed using the "Deaf" flag were in the UDMF format, and im not going to argue about something as silly like wether or not the "Deaf" flag works)

I'm pretty sure that if the Deaf flag and sound-blocking lines didn't work, it would have been common knowledge to all the people making maps by now, 17 and a half years since Doom's release.

(Spoiler: They work exactly the same way 100% of the time. You did something wrong.)

Vermil said:

A "deaf" bad guy that has heard a gunshot gains 360 degree vision instead of the usual 128 degree vision a bad guy has.

One needs two "block sound" linedefs between the player and monster to block sound.

I did not know either of these. I always just assumed that deaf enemies worked the same way that they did in Wolfenstein 3D.

Also this explains why the block sound line never works for me.

SlayeR said:

Heh. I tend to mark all monsters as deaf in my maps unless I specifically want them to wake up to sound (ie not often) :P