Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DoomUK

Dirt 3

Anyone a fan of racing games?

Picked this one up yesterday. Loving it, even if Codemasters' promises of the Colin McRae franchise returning to it's predominant rallying roots seem to have given way to the inclusion of gymkhana, rallycross, drifting and truck racing, much like what was in Dirt 2 (didn't play the first Dirt so I can't comment on it; bugged game which I could never get to work properly). I would have preferred to sacrifice these disciplines and have an even wider selection of rally cars to what there already is, but hey ho.

Still, it's heaps of fun. The handling of the vehicles hits that magic sweet spot (for me) where it's realistic without being an unforgiving simulator with an overwhelming array of performance and handling options which are mostly of interest to a mechanic, rather than someone who just wants a fun racing game while wanting something deeper than Sega Rally or something. Beautiful tracks. Awesome car damage physics.

Mr. T said:

The coolest thing is that that isn't a doctored screenshot. It can actually look that good provided you have the latest most fantastic hardware and you're running the game under DX11 (score one for PC gaming). Proof.

I think racing and other sports games are rare examples of genres of games that have unarguably increased in quality over the past 20+ years. You'd be pretty foolish to say Outrun or Lotus Challenge surpass games such as this in quality :p

Dirt 3 is excellent. Great fun to play, and importantly for a racing game, you get a good sense of speed when you get going quickly.

And just messing around in the Gymkhana practise area is an absolute hoot.

The only problem I have is that the game gets kind of samey. There's not really enough different environments, so you end up running through the same few races a bunch of times. Despite the claims of "most rally content ever!" There are a lot of events and not really enough different road.

Still an excellent game, though.

AirRaid said:

The only problem I have is that the game gets kind of samey. There's not really enough different environments, so you end up running through the same few races a bunch of times. Despite the claims of "most rally content ever!" There are a lot of events and not really enough different road.

I agree. Many if not most racing games suffer from the same thing, though. An there's nothing to stop you taking different approaches to corners whenever you find yourself on the same track or piece of track twice to try and find the best possible line, prolonging the fun of a particular track. Unless you have that gay racing line guide thingy feature turned on :p