Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_marine666

what is your favourite/least favourite wads..

Fave: Icarus, MM1 & MM2, Requiem, Speed of Doom, STRAIN, Alien Vendetta, Vae Victus, Scythe 1 & 2 (Scythe 2 is slowly growing on me :) for all being fun megawads and for feeling like an adventure every time I play through them.

Least fave: Knee Deep in Zdoom and ZDoom community map because both these wads are merely a collection of disjointed and incoherent Zdoom maps with bad gameplay and ugly visuals. And RTC-3057... I don't know what everyone sees in this, but it's a pretty boring and tedious experience for me. And finally... Legacy of Suffering.

Consider me lazy for not listing favorites (right now) and consider me bitter for only wanting to mention the least favorite.

In that case. Pretty much anything by Tormentor667.

Detailing aside the gameplay is just awful (and biased to boot, with Tormentor's difficulty preferences in his maps and Carnevil on balancing Stronghold). The elements from other games like Duke Nukem 3D and Quake, whether it be textures or sprites, not to mention ripped music from other sources, only serve to further irritate me as they always look so out of place. The custom enemies are OK (they are cool) but they're almost always used in a gameplay way that makes them very annoying to deal with, to the point of pissing one off royally (TNT:LE anyone?).

I've nothing against the man's ability for mapping or his passion for incorporating elements from my favorite games, but he might as well be an architect IRL or map for Duke/Quake or make an actual Doom-Doom map. And before someone mentions the "unreleasables" on his site, those aren't any better either (and even include Duke stuff and the awkward gameplay!). I suppose his map in CC3 wasn't that bad actually, I didn't even know it was him until I saw one of the random screen shots on his site.

I have too many favorites to count, but here are some off the top of my head:

Favorites: Biowar, Infected Area, Killzone series, Requiem, Strain, Realm of Chaos, Memento Mori series, Massmouth series, Kzdoom series, Zort series, Hell Factory, and of course the community chest and NDCP megawads. I have more, but I don't want to post a novel.

Least Favorites: I have played through many thoroughly unpopular wads, but I can't really call anything out to be a personal least favorite.

I forgot to add that the only things that I weren't a fan of in Scythe II were the Evil Marines and the Afrits. (Well... I don't have anything to say about them that hadn't been mentioned already, though I also know the Afrits were also in DVII for only one level, and they're just as nasty there.)

I'm looking forward to giving Realm of Chaos a go, although I'm gonna need a custom music wad that fills up all 32 of of the music slots first, I can't stand Doom 2's music.

DeathevokatioN said:

I can't stand Doom 2's music.

Well, it does start to get on your nerves when you start up the first level of a WAD and the first thing you hear is "dun-dun dun-dun dun-dun dun-dun dun DOO!'

gun_psycho said:

I forgot to add that the only things that I weren't a fan of in Scythe II were the Evil Marines and the Afrits. (Well... I don't have anything to say about them that hadn't been mentioned already, though I also know the Afrits were also in DVII for only one level, and they're just as nasty there.)

Oh, that red marine........evil.......terrible Mr.X to kill with since he runs so fast! I also have problem killing them though I can beat though map16. And that Afrit, I was always afraid of homing missile. And you are right, there's a level in DV2 which also got Afrits, but I forget which one it is. This is also one thing that I don't like in Scythe 2.

Favourite: Difficult to nail down one, but for argument's sake I'll say Titan 2 (just shutting out UAC Ultra and UTnT). A rare beast in ZDoom mapping in that it uses the port's advanced features in such a way that not only do they blend seamlessly into the excellently-designed maps, but it doesn't attempt to alter Doom's core gameplay in any way. More ZDoom wads should follow this formula.

Least Favourite: Jade Earth. Visually very striking but outright ruined by unquantifiable Archie/Rev spam and cheap placement thereof (my biggest pet hate in a level). You know a map has issues when a dual Cybie fight comes as a welcome change of pace.

Robomorons said:

Well, it does start to get on your nerves when you start up the first level of a WAD and the first thing you hear is "dun-dun dun-dun dun-dun dun-dun dun DOO!'

Amen to that. Heck, I've played so many `94 WADs that I can barely stand E1M1's music anymore, either.

scalliano said:

Favourite: Difficult to nail down one, but for argument's sake I'll say Titan 2 (just shutting out UAC Ultra and UTnT). A rare beast in ZDoom mapping in that it uses the port's advanced features in such a way that not only do they blend seamlessly into the excellently-designed maps, but it doesn't attempt to alter Doom's core gameplay in any way.

Hm. That sounds legitimately interesting. I always dream of how ZDoom's powerful scripting features could be used to make awesome DOOM levels that actually play like DOOM. :)

I've played a wide-variety of .WADs that I've really enjoyed, so I have no idea how I'd say which one my favourite is.

However, the one I've least enjoyed is easier to say, as there tends to be a most recent one fresh in my memory. In this instance, I've not played too many crap ones as of late, so Stronghold can have the award of being my current least favourite .WAD, as I found it absolutely no fun to play.

Robomorons said:

Hahaha, that's a brilliant post. Yeah, and a whole megawad with Doom2 music only makes it worse for someone like me, who is a midi snob. :)

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Favourite: Speed of Doom, Whispers of Satan, 2002 ADO, Scythe 2, Plutonia 2, Community Chest 2 & 3, Sunder, New Gothic, Hell Revealed 1 & 2, Vile Flesh, Killing Adventure etc.

Least favourite: Momento Mori 1 & 2, Revolution!, Twilight Zone 2, Plutonia Experiment etc.

Hmm, I've always kind of liked Revolution! although I will admit it is a little out of date for being a 2003 wad. (It is from '03 if I'm not mistaken.)

Some of my fav's are:
Massmouth 2
Equinox
Dimensions of Time
Biowar
The Scientist 2
TNT Evilution
Scythe 2
Phobos
99 ways to die (The first pwad I ever played.)

However I do agree with you on the Plutonia Experiment, it may look good, but it's to damn hard for my tastes.

DeathevokatioN said:

Hahaha, that's a brilliant post. Yeah, and a whole megawad with Doom2 music only makes it worse for someone like me, who is a midi snob. :)

That's another reason I love Icarus: EVERY map has a custom song. It really helps to give each level a distinct atmosphere.

The fact that its sequel, Daedalus, literally only had about three songs all total (one only being a few seconds long) was like a slap in the face.

I guess I'm the only one who would often load up Doom2 MAP01 just to hear the tunes and spent some quality time out by the river with the 3 imps.

And that river, is it the same body of water that goes underground in MAP02? What about that pond in MAP03?

hex11 said:

I guess I'm the only one who would often load up Doom2 MAP01 just to hear the tunes and spent some quality time out by the river with the 3 imps.

Nope. Also, when playing with a sky texture, instead of just going out on the chainsaw platform to look at it I'll fight my way outside.

The least favorite WAD I've played so far would be a 10-map WAD released in the archives as "ESW" or something along those lines. It was included as the first ten levels in a Doom 2 MegaWAD Jive compiled for the Legacy engine. I actually liked the rest of the maps found therein and found a nice little-mentioned three map set called the Alpha Trilogy. But I digress.

ESW was an unfinished megawad from a clan, I think (that is, ESW was just the clan's name). There were some honestly interesting ideas but the majority of the gameplay was boring, texturing ugly, and confusing with unmarked doors, required secrets, etc.. The final map was especially noisome, with a maze like an anthill leading to quite a few square rooms filled with former human troopers, ending with a (very exposed) Spiderdemon showdown.

But, like I said, there were some good points, though I'm hard-pressed to recall them with all the maps I've played in between.

Favorite WAD? That's hard to pick with so many great ones, but I'll commit and say Vanguard is the best I've played so far.

Edit: Actually, the handle of one of the authors was ESW. The actual WAD title was (imagine a good name here).

Favourite: PSX DOOM, threshold of pain, alien vendetta ... cant come up with more by the moment, these wads got some seriously heavy class atmosphere, shouldnt be without it :D

Least Favourite: Cybie.Wad >_O other wads that had their DOOM mugged and replaced with other sick shit, includes most slaugther wads, even though they have some challenge they just dont place in with the quality of the other mentioned wads (of my favourites)

fatal error said:

Hmm, I've always kind of liked Revolution! although I will admit it is a little out of date for being a 2003 wad. (It is from '03 if I'm not mistaken.)

Some of my fav's are:
Massmouth 2
Equinox
Dimensions of Time
Biowar
The Scientist 2
TNT Evilution
Scythe 2
Phobos
99 ways to die (The first pwad I ever played.)

However I do agree with you on the Plutonia Experiment, it may look good, but it's to damn hard for my tastes.

Ironic that you say that when you have Scythe 2 listed in your favourites, because the later levels in that megawad are just as hard or more difficult than Plutonia. Revolution! was originally released in 2001, but was reuploaded in 2003, just to clarify it from being out of date.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:
Least favourite: Momento Mori 1 & 2, Revolution!, Twilight Zone 2, Plutonia Experiment etc. [/B]

You are not allowed to play Reverie.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Nono, I just really doesn't like all those wads, not joking!

I know, but Reverie is inspired from some of those WADs so I can't imagine you'd enjoy that any better.