Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terra-jin

E1 Nightmare!

All those hitscanners make this pretty difficult! I'm playing each level getting 100% secrets and items, and when I reach the exit, I switch off respawning (it's actually UV with -fast and -respawn).
This way, I can clean up the level and switch from the hectic, nightmarish playing style to a more relaxed, careful approach. I realise that the extra health and ammo I can then get makes it a bit easier, but then again collecting all the items before I turn -respawn off makes up for the challenge.

It's really fun this way and just wanted to share this with you, and maybe hearing a few strategies you guys use when playing Nightmare. Currently I'm doing E1M7, which is rather hard due to the large numbers of shotgun guys and many items to collect.

After this, I'll take on the ultimate challenge: E4 Nightmare! I'm wondering if this is even possible with my mode of gameplay... but we'll see..!

I played actual NIGHTMARE! when I did it, but avoided trying to 100% the maps. Save/Load came in handy for me - as did playing on ZDoom to take advantage of the mouselook and always run options. Basically, chaingun is king and be sure to keep your eyes open in order to survive for more than a few seconds when there's a lot of shotgunners on the prowl.

Phobus said:

Basically, chaingun is king and be sure to keep your eyes open in order to survive for more than a few seconds when there's a lot of shotgunners on the prowl.

Maybe, but the shotgun lets me hit and run, while the chaingun requires me to focus.

The combination of pain-locking and getting the 2-4 bullets required to kill the zombies off very quickly and accurately won for me every time. Shotgun needing to pump slows the output, even if it is good for knocking down small groups of enemies.

Nightmare on other maps and wads is fun too, ya gotta play with infinite ammo though due to lack of zombies.

40oz said:

Nightmare on other maps and wads is fun too, ya gotta play with infinite ammo though due to lack of zombies.

?

I think the double ammo compensates for the respawning.

printz said:

?

I think the double ammo compensates for the respawning.

But perhaps on other maps and wads, zombies are scarce.

PRIMEVAL said:

But perhaps on other maps and wads, zombies are scarce.

He implied that ammo is insuficient in zombieless maps, and I replied that the double ammo from the cases still makes it enough.