Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

DHspd001: Speedmapping session!

Hi,

It's been a while since we've had a speedmapping session so I thought I'd proctor one. The theme is city sewers, and slaughter style gameplay. As usual ~100 minutes max build time. You may use new music. Stock textures only though. I will not be mapping for this one as I just finished an episode and need to take a little break. Have at it. The session will end tomorrow night at 9:00 PM EST.

-DH85

EDIT: New end time for session: 9:00 PM EST on Tuesday.

hmm... I just released a speed map an hour ago. Maybe I could contribute it to this. But it is not set in a city sewer and the build time is 180 minutes (well, maybe 60 active minutes and the rest was surfing, facebook, youtube and smoking).

This usually works better if you announce a time like a week ahead, lucky I caught this before I went to sleep. If I go to sleep. Heh.

I don't normally enjoy speedmapping, sewer themes, or slaughter gameplay, but I feel like procrastinating right now, and pissing away a couple of hours attempting to speedmap seems like a good way to do that. I'll probably take a more toned-down approach to monster spam than typical slaughter fare, though.

Well, I broke down and whipped this little abomination together last night, in 73 minutes.

I could've probably made it less shitty with an extra half hour of work, but I started to get bored with it pretty quickly, as you can see in the finished product. So yeah, it's quite short, in tight quarters, and the monster count is also well under 200, but it's still much more of a slaughter map than what I usually make. The difficulty is a bit over my head, but it shouldn't be impossible for anyone who doesn't suck.

I also crammed in a random MIDI at the last minute; it doesn't loop that well, but it's better than D_RUNNIN, and you'll probably finish the map before it restarts in the first place. Anyway, it's not a map I'm particularly proud of, but if nothing else, then I had a chance to reaffirm that I don't like monster spam or speed mapping. :P

Speedmap hardly worth the adjective. Took 3 hours or so because I kept remembering little mapping tricks I use to cut down on time literally seconds after I could've used them, in addition to a little over detailing in the final room. Which I wouldn't expect anyone to survive the first time through right now. Could actually be a little light on powerups for once, though I haven't had to calculate ammo/health:monster threat type stuff for a while so I'm rusty. I also took about an hour to decide on this midi, I need to go find some new stuff. It's from fzero gx, story mode chapter 6 if anyone's interested

DoomHero85 said:

Cool. Really fun map.

Oh, well, thank you!

Seriously, i like to know how you beat this... please put a demo of the level as a proof...

Okay so, I gave it a couple of goes. I think more rad suits are in order. Health is low, but it's doable without more, i think. But since most of the floor is radiation, you might consider adding a few suits.

DoomHero85 said:

Okay so, I gave it a couple of goes. I think more rad suits are in order. Health is low, but it's doable without more, i think. But since most of the floor is radiation, you might consider adding a few suits.

Whose map? none of the sewer nukage is actually tagged as damaging in mine, heheh. Looks like it needs more health.