Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tomthecrazzy

doom needs swords!!!!!

hey i dont know if there are any addons for d/d2 that have swords or axes bows or spears (bow aside i know about ghouls forest)
i would love to make a few maps using this type of weapon format

Shotgun
Soulsphere
Spectre
Sergeant
Spiderdemon

It does come up pretty shy, but I think it needs more Twords...

Well, if you don't mind swords and bows mixed with hi-tech, slightly-steampunkuesque(*) stuff, you may try this one by me...

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16476

Be sure to read the textfile though, as it's got a couple twists you probably would not expect...

(*) Don't know if this word really exists, but oh, well.

TheMionicDonut said:

needs more Twords...

Tabletop Trebuchet!!!!!

Fits in the backpack!!!!!

Launches Turds!!!!

Doomguy could use a sword to cut cheese, though.

Actually, Doomguy needs to know how to shoot fireballs (like Corvus) and resurrect monsters. He's been so exposed to demons he has to be afflicted.

tomthecrazzy said:

hey i dont know if there are any addons for d/d2 that have swords or axes bows or spears (bow aside i know about ghouls forest)
i would love to make a few maps using this type of weapon format

People have been modding doom for 17 years, I'm sure such a wad exsists, it's just a matter of finding it.

I don't think Doom needs swords at all, unless it's a high tech weapon in vein like the Star Wars lightsabre or the WH40k chainsword. It would fit better in Quake's grungy environment better.

Besides, why would you want that when you have a chainsaw?

http://www.phobus.servegame.com/doom/ph_quik3.zip

http://www.phobus.servegame.com/doom/ph_wlx.zip

These two ZDoom wads both use a "sword" weapon (named Justice) I put together - although I ended up using sickle sprites made by neoworm as my art skills just weren't cutting(hah!) it. ph_wlx.zip has an alt-fire for the sword, which is a laser-esque projectile weapon.

Also, if you check out the weapons resource wad on /idgames, there's a lightsaber, amongst other melee weapons available.

It would need longer reach than the stupid berzerk and messed up bounding boxes that sometimes takes 5 punches to kill a former human in prboom+.
My guess is that one way to do that would be to code it so an invisible projectile is fired every time you swing but it only goes n distance from the player before being erased.

fullmetalvaran33 said:

That's why Hexen was created...It's medieval Doom.

No, that title belongs to Heretic.

You could probably mod Heretic's weapons and items into Doom and there'd hardly be a difference in gameplay.

In fact, why has no one done that already?

ok well i didnt know how far this would go but ok maybe axes and swords "per-say" wouldn't be doom like but what if you could use those torches all over some maps not only for light but as an awesome melee weapon

and maybe a tech sword of some type with an electric effect that stuns some enimies and you could also fight a hell knight and maybe stand a chance

the hellish episodes of demon eclipse have a cool sword, called vorpal blade. it charges up with every enemy that gets his head bashed in and after 10 kills it delivers a mighty blow. at least it worked this way in an earlier version i played, i liked it very much.

however, that's not a full medieval arsenal, just a replacement for the chainsaw / fist with extra incentive to use it because of the charge.

It would need longer reach than the stupid berzerk and messed up bounding boxes that sometimes takes 5 punches to kill a former human in prboom+.
My guess is that one way to do that would be to code it so an invisible projectile is fired every time you swing but it only goes n distance from the player before being erased.

Just play in ZDoom with the bugfix and enjoy your six feet long arms, which feels silly for the fist but would be perfect for a sword. ;)