Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Are you willing to continue this map?

I recently started this map as an attempted speedmap, starting it on a morning and hoping to finish it by night. But eventually I got tired and bored of working on it. Because I don't want to leave it dying in my hard-drive, is anyone else willing to continue it in my place? You can do whatever you wish, you just have to mention by nickname (printz) in your text file, that's all! The map is for vanilla Doom 1, but you can convert it to Doom 2 if you don't have or want to use Doom 1.

Download link:

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/LjgrvUYUii/dinky.zip

Looks pretty interesting, I might take a look at some point but I would prefer to make it for doom 2, I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it...

printz said:

You can do whatever you wish, you just have to mention by nickname (printz) in your text file, that's all! The map is for vanilla Doom 1, but you can convert it to Doom 2 if you don't have or want to use Doom 1.

Would you consider donating this to Freedoom? It might make a good starting point for E3M9, say.

RjY said:

Would you consider donating this to Freedoom? It might make a good starting point for E3M9, say.

Sure that too, as I don't become too attached to speedmap attempts. I PM'ed jointritual to acknowledge that I read his reply, but he didn't see the message (though he was last active 19 June today). I don't mind if I see duplicates (that's the best-case effect of making such a thread!), but maybe you mind.

I already did a E3M9 for FreeDoom recently but this works a lot better, even if it doesn't the whole "E3M1 with additions" like the original E3M9. Definitely a fun little map.

downloaded it and gonna play with it and maybe even get something done. wont promise anything, since it takes me ages to finish maps these days.

might be interesting if more than one person does something with it and how different the maps might end up being like.

Perhaps I could redesign a few things and spruce it up, then submit it as a DTWID map.

You'll get the credit though since it's your map, I'm not going to pull the "special thanks to printz for giving me a map to rip off".

Well I've begun working on this in earnest, should be able to provide screens soon enough, I personally won't be making it DTWID style which means alot present will be altered significantly. Printz contribution will remain in one form or another though... Have'nt had much luck finishing maps lately though so it won't be too ambitious.

Oh my, sorry for coming up so late, but real life kicked in during all this time. So this thread comes back to top by several forum pages.

I tried the map and I liked it. Its difficulty and monster design is pretty consistent throughout. Really shows what can result if I don't just keep all projects to myself in development hell -- a finished project.

The map is pretty difficult in ultra-violence, but is manageable if you learn to conserve ammo and be cautious, and use every cover and the starting room to your advantage (but don't let any revenants or archviles in, because then you're doomed! -- the room is an 'o' of destruction!).

Like any single-map wad, it finishes too soon (not that it's too short, but rather that in general, single-maps feel like ending quickly unless they're megabyte mammoths). But as a random search result in Doomworld/idgames, it's not a bad result, so go ahead releasing it if you want.

Only iffy thing about it is the "may NOT" clause in the text file... it may cause confusion if someone else had also taken my part of the map as a base, in which case I had given a nonwritten "MAY" clause equivalent, just by looking at my wording throughout this thread.

EDIT: looks like the map is already uploaded. Oh well. I hope jointritual was the one who uploaded it. Thanks :)

Thanks for the feedback didn't think it turned out badly for saying it was a speedmap by my standards, I wanted to keep it short to insure that it was finished... Didn't think the text file would be an issue due lack of interest, my bad :/