Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Ideas for final 2 weapons as spells?

If I replace "CELL" with "MAG" and define the final two (6 and 7 numbered) weapons as spells for Doomguy to try, what do you think they should work like? Note that they have to be in according balance to the standard Doom weapons 1 to 5.

Currently, I'm thinking about something similar to Cleric's abilities: a firestorm-like spell for slot 6 (spamming flames) and a wraithverge-like attack for slot 7 (invisible ghosts killing everyone on screen).

How about... like, a life drain, maybe hitting multiple targets, or.. a thunderbolt that hits one target like hell, or a fiery explosion from yourself that hurts everything in area (including doomguy), or a damage-absorbing shell.. Ghosts too, of course. Summon zombies from corpses, or lost souls/revenants from demon corpses? Maybe an archvile spell? Focus on burning a target until it explodes.

For slot 6 how about a powerful melee or close range spell? Stronger than the chainsaw and bezerk but uses ammo/magic.

Maybe something that works like the lightning gun from Quake or a rail gun for slot 7.

Either lightning (for slot 6), which would shoot extremely fast but low damage lightning that would be almost 100 % stun for most enemies, or chain lightning (for slot 7), which would, eh, do better damage jumping from a target to an other. I don't know if it would be possible to make it so that it wouldn't jump back to the previous target to prevent infinite loops though. Not both of these though, since two lightning spells at the same time would be boring.

Or for slot 7, an insanely powerful explosion originating from the player (which you would be immune to), with a warm up timer like the BFG and an effect that slows your movement somewhat during warm up. I'd say it could also stop you entirely, but that would be a death wish in Doom.

Now I do realize that the thread question can have millions of answers, because they delve straight into fantasy. It strongly depends on the port how many of these are possible: from rather low (MBF), to medium (Eternity), high (ZDoom), higher (EDGE I presume), highest (VaVoom I presume).

Anyway, I'll look into these, and please keep 'em coming. The idea behind it is that Doomguy is gradually turning into a monster, and Doom monsters have plasma shooting abilities that some call magic, others call raw elemental energy.

Some more:

-like others elaborated a lightning spell would be cool. How about a Gauntlets of the Necromancer-style Sith Emperor lightning, except that it doesn't lock onto a target, has higher range and affects multiple enemies?

-A laser-style beam. The visual could be hard to do though

-If the self-explosion is a "normal weapon" it should not always deal damage to yourself. How about that you could hold down the button and release to increase damage, and if you hold it down for too long, the explosion damages the player too? Kinda like the BFG in Doom 3.

-Reflecting, hold down the button and all projectiles get bounced back. Bullets do no damage.

-A charge, either one that starts the charge when button is pressed and you can't change the direction, and deals damage to the target. Think Chargin Targe in TF2. Or another type, as long as the button is held down you move with greater speed and damage nearby enemies.

-A relatively slow-moving projectile that homes into a target. Think Bone Spirit from Diablo.

-Area of effect: either you press the button and the enemies in the immediate area take damage for say 10 seconds. You can move away from the area and the damage zone stays. Or that you hold down the button and everything nearby is getting damaged. Like an earthquake or something.

- a spell that turns zombies into frogs
- lightning hands, like you shoot bolts of electricity out of your hand, as opposed to hexen's lightning thing that follows near by enemies.

-a spell that gibs zombies-imps closest to player's vision.
-a spell that projects smaller-friendly lost souls the direction player is aiming.