Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kai

What are the changes between Psx Doom wads and Pc doom Wads?

In a technical sence and what would it take to convert them so they can be ran through zdoom for example?

well, there is really no way to convert the PSX maps to pc format.

right now me and elbryan42 are working on converting console maps to pc right now.

while he is working on some Doom64 maps, I am in the middle on working on Hell Gate and PSX version of Hell Keep...

but other than this, its the only way to convert a map. You have study the level and make/copy it from scratch

Well you was in danger of not getting a reply, and, as I am thick and couldn't answer your poser, had to do something :)

I take it PSX levels are use different coding or do they use an improved engine hence the coloured lighting and transparancy?

Here are the differences:

The pros:

-New levels: Hell Gate, Twilight Descends, The Marshes, Threshold of Pain, The Mansion, Club Doom, and Redemption Denied. There are new, better versions of older levels, for example Spawning Vats and Hell Keep.

-Doom 1 levels use the Doom 2 textures and flats.

-There is a enemy, the Nightmare Spectre. It's a green spectre that takes twice as much damage to kill.

-Enemy placememts are MUCH better IMO.

-Item placements are slightly different. You can now get he BFG in a secret in E2M2 for example. Armor and Health Bonuses now give you 2%.

-In the Ultra Violence difficulty, the Doom 2 enemies are added to the Doom 1 levels. Example: E1M1 now has a Chaingunner behind the wall in front of the toxic path, and a Pain Elemental is in the elevator secret. Plus there's much more enemies to slaughter in UV! :)

-Colored lighting. Keys light up the sectors they're in. Toxic waste areas are colored green, lava areas are colored red, exit areas are mostly red. Most areas are lighted. It's not annoying though. It's done with precision. You don't know what you're missing until you play thru a few dark areas colored blue. It's much more eerie because of this.

-Much more dynamic lighting. Sectors can now gradually fade the lighing in and out. Much nicer and makes the game spookier. It's used in much more areas too.

The cons:

-Doom 1 levels between episode 1 and episode 3 don't have crushing ceilings, light amp, or invisibility. The reason for this is that they were ported over from previous console Doom games (Jaguar, 3DO, 32X), not the PSX's capabilities.

-Also, since the Doom 1 levels were ported from previous games, the maps have been simplified. Entire parts of the maps have been cut. This is really noticable in episode 2. You get used to it though.

-There are no extreme highs or lows in the game. The heights of platforms and drops are considerably smaller. The game slowed down so the height of platforms were taken down. Not really a problem, but some people may hate this fact. *However, this was fixed in PSX Final Doom.

-Missing enemies: Arch-Vile, SS Soldier (no Wolfenstein levels), Baphomet.

Basically, although the Episode 1, 2 and 3 levels are cut, playing the game on Ultra Violence is a rush and beats any other incarnation of Doom, IMO. The lighting, more enemies, etc just make the levels sweeter.

I forgot to mention the awesome new ambient music and the new sounds, both available on my website of course! :)

I think I prefere psx doom because of those nostalgic feelings you get when you play it. Same with 32X Doom. Thing with psx doom that pissed me off was the simplified levels and in the doom 2 episode some levels were completly missing plus the frame rates sucked a huge and im talking HUGE donky size penis that smelled bad and had hairs coming out the end.

I love PSX Doom, and I remember beating it on UV a couple of years back, VERY satisfying.

Club Doom, a secret level that's just begging to be converted, along with The Mansion.

The sounds and music were awesome, had a comparable atmosphere to PC Doom.

Oh yeah, it was great. Quite easy to generate a Texture Cache Overflow on Suburbs though, wake the monsters, trip the linedef on the rocks in the slime, then run back to teh building at the north of teh map with the Revenants in it and hide. Emerge when all the creatures have teleported in and moved over by the buidling en masse. (You need the full automap to tell)

It can't cope with teh numbers, heh, it's teh PSX on-screen error I can remember getting.