Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Episode 1 Intermission Screen fan-art (work in progress)

I've been playing with Google Sketchup and decided to try interpreting the Doom Intermission screen from Episode 1. Here's the Toxin Refinery (E1M3). I may add some geometry to it.

The cratered rock that the buildings will lie on:

I don't plan to light and texture this. Instead I'm going to use the contours to create 2-D art in Illustrator and Photoshop.

Good stuff. I'd like to see this completed :-)

You might want to post in the fan art forum.

Really good pictures. If this thread need to be moved, the moderator or adminstrator will do it. So will you add some buildings from episode 2 or 3?

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Really good pictures. If this thread need to be moved, the moderator or adminstrator will do it. So will you add some buildings from episode 2 or 3?

Oh, totally. I'm really looking forward to doing Inferno. I think it would be fun to even attempt an Episode 4 interpretation or possibly even Doom 2.

Yes, CloneHunter, that is indeed the Hangar. Here it is from another angle with the completed tower in the back.

Worked on E3M1, Hell Keep, from the Inferno intermission screen. This one was a lot easier, given its simple design, but a lot of fun too. Not quite done with it.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

It seems that E3M1 looks like a mix of mosque and church.

Yeah, I feel you on that. When I actually color it black and add the dripping blood, it'll be a lot more evil. The original image has this simple cake-like stacking, so I wanted to ornament it a bit.

I think you should invert the cross too. OR you could make it an actual crucifix attached to the building and have a UAC marine nailed to it.

Marnetmar said:

I think you should invert the cross too. OR you could make it an actual crucifix attached to the building and have a UAC marine nailed to it.

The metal in me wants to invert it, of course, but if you look at the original image, it is right-side up! I like your idea though.

Has anyone thought of making levels based off how they appear on the intermission screens?

Mr. Chris said:

Has anyone thought of making levels based off how they appear on the intermission screens?

Do you mean the levels which doesn't shows the outlook building of the map like Doom 2, Plutonia, TNT etc.?

GoatLord said:

The original image has this simple cake-like stacking, so I wanted to ornament it a bit.

First I thought E3M1 is a hospital. Urgh.

Mr. Chris said:

I actually made a thread about this very idea awhile back, and perhaps these Sketchup models are an attempt to realize these images in some form. Making maps based off of the images would be a difficult undertaking, what with all of the canyons and mountains. It would require GZDoom, and probably a fair amount of portals or stacked sectors. It could probably be pulled off with the right mappers.

Here's a preview of Nuclear Plant, or E1M2. I'm finding this one to be difficult because I don't like the simple rectangular "pool" that the pipes go into. Any suggestions?

I've always seen that as an in-ground tank, so it doesn't need to be too tall at all. That might help a bit -- the detail comes from the liquid.

Nice stuff so far, by the way. :)

Great stuff! Keep it up!

About E1M2, I agree. They would be better if they are tubes. Here is a top 2D picture (yes, PAINT!):

Sorry for bad drawing :P but I think you got my idea ;).

(BTW, Hell Keep will look fantastic if you color it)

C30N9, thanks for the suggestion, though by the time I read it I had already made my own adjustments. It's still a pool, but it's a lot shorter, and I added more overall detail.

Here's Nuclear Plant with some extra details as well as a dome for the pool, to protect it from the elements.

These would have been pretty cool for KDIZD intermission screens :)