Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gemini09

Models for GZDoom

Hi!

What's a good and easy program, to make models for GZDoom?

I will need to use models, as it's getting pretty impractical to draw sectors and detail inside busy areas, or over or under 3D floors.

Wings 3D is, in my opinion, the easiest 3D modelling software for quickly making simple models. The UV mapping leaves a lot to be desired, and I don't think you can do any animations with it. I'm also not sure if it can even save directly in a format usable by GZDoom.

I'd recommend Blender as well, but it's more complicated to use for a beginner. You might also want to try Milkshape 3D, but I believe it's not free, and as far as I can tell it's ridden with spyware.

What is UV mapping?

Do you use this program? How do you go about converting files from Wings 3D format to MD3?

I don't think I need animation, so that's not a factor...

It looks okay, and I found some tutorials.

But, can you tell me if the dimensions are the same here as in Doom? IE, will 64 units in Wings be the same as 64 units in Doom?

UV mapping basically means placing and aligning textures on the model using a special coordinate system. Wings can do this now, but it's not as easy or as fully featured as in some other modelling software.

I have no idea how you could convert a wings model to PK3 format, though. The last time I did any Doom-related modelling with Wings, it was to make source models to convert to voxels.

Since the poly2vox converter can take .3ds files as input, I just used Wings' "File -> Export" menu feature to export the models as .3ds files. Wings can export to a handful of other formats, too, so if you can find a converter that will take one of them and turn the output into an MD3 model, that might do it.

I don't know how the scale is handled for MD3 models in GZDoom, but you should be able to use
MODELDEF to set the scale manually, so if you build it too large or small, it probably won't matter much.

Perhaps someone with better modelling experience can give you more concrete info.

Thanks a lot for your input.

When I think about it, I may as well just learn something like Blender - I already have it installed, but I shy away from programs that aren't easy to understand at first glance :)

But, all I want to make is squares and rectangles and cylinders - the simple stuff you would normally just draw in the editor. So, I reckon once I get a hang of Blender, it shouldn't be too difficult as I only need to learn the fundamentals...

More input is welcome, from folks who have worked with modeling for GZDoom..

gemini09 said:

But, all I want to make is squares and rectangles and cylinders - the simple stuff you would normally just draw in the editor. So, I reckon once I get a hang of Blender, it shouldn't be too difficult as I only need to learn the fundamentals...

Blender has a lot of tutorials and a community to help you learn. I recommend this wiki-book to get you going: Noob to Pro

gemini09 said:

But, all I want to make is squares and rectangles and cylinders - the simple stuff you would normally just draw in the editor.

If you're only interested in the basic geometric shapes, then you don't even need to create the models yourself. Simply download the .md2 or .md3 files from someone's wad (or some other public resource) and retexture them yourself. All you'd need to do is change the scale so that the texture fits properly.

I can send you some models for crates (cubes), barrels (cylinders), and pipes (tubes). You simply find a suitable texture and apply it.

More input is welcome, from folks who have worked with modeling for GZDoom.

Enjay has done a boat-load of modeling for GZDooM. Send him a PM and ask.

Sorry, but I was misunderstood.

I meant that I only need to draw squares, cylinders and the like, but I will need to combine them for more complex objects, like a chair.

I'll get in touch with Enjay. I don't know if he's been by the thread, but I'll see about buggin' him anyhow :)

gemini09 said:

.... I will need to combine them for more complex objects, like a chair.

If you need models for chairs let me know, as I have several (wooden, padded couch chairs, office 'swivel' chairs).

However, I understand that you probably want the models for more than chairs.

Sweet! I'll get in touch with you later - I don't have my PC at the moment :)

I'll be needing lots of different stuff, but I'll definitely appreciate the chair models. Thanks.