Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Is "FreeDoom" reallly a good name?

You know, considering that it has "Doom" in it. I mean, Blasphemer isn't called FreeHeretic.

If we were to have an alternate name, I suggest "Gloom".

That's because FreeHeretic sounds stupid and isn't a pun on the word "freedom". Anyway, this is an old debate, and I think everyone (whose opinions count, at least) has settled on the name by now. Feel free to prove me mistaken, though.

fraggle said:

I think we've had this discussion already.

If I had known that, I wouldn't have started this thread. Sorry about that.

Sodaholic said:

Too late, that name is already used. :D

Gloom was this old FPS for AGA Amiga & CD32:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjKFx74bVgo

It was meant to be a Doom-like game, but technically is closer to Wolf3D. There's only so much you can do on a 14 MHz 68020 (basically the equivalent of a 386), and the custom chips only handled 2D stuff.

Even so, the framerate sucks. Doesn't look that much fun to play. On that hardware you're better off with 3D games like Dungeon Master, Hired Guns, or even simple polygon shaded stuff like F/A-18 Interceptor (flight sim).

hex11 said:

Don't think it matters that much considering how obscure Gloom is. I'm having a hell of a time trying to track down and run a copy of it.

But- on topic: yeah, Gloom is a good name for FreeDoom, and it's actually kind of fitting because the FreeDoom graphics are gritty, gloomy, and moody compared to the originals. It could also be part of distancing FreeDoom from Doom a little for legal reasons.

Or maybe use one of the synonyms for Doom:

" Judgment Day, Moira, annihilation, calamity, cataclysm, catastrophe, circumstance, conclusion, condemnation, death, decree, destination, destiny, destruction, disaster, downfall, end, fixed future, foreordination, fortune, handwriting on wall, judgment, karma, kismet, lap of the gods, lot, opinion, portion, predestination, predetermination, ruin, sentence, tragedy, verdict, way the ball bounces, way the cookie crumbles "

Downfall sounds pretty good. But I doubt that FreeDoom will have it's name changed anyway.

LOL, what's up with those expressions?

Maybe we could call it "Tough Noogies". :D

hex11 said:

Oh man I remember that! Although I never played it. "Doom" marked my transition from Amiga to PC (an aging A500 to a P75 Pentium, no less); "Gloom" was out of reach for my Amiga, but it was featured in all the magazines I read at the time.

(I'm busy replaying Frontier: Elite 2 at the moment. Relive the past!)

Aha! I remember playing a demo of that (on the same A500), but I could never remember what it was called.

"Gloom" is no doubt a Trademark too. "Downfall" was, very recently, used for a movie, so is similarly a bad choice.

Can I lock this thread yet?

Not yet.

Sodaholic said:

Let's go a step further - call it 3Doom and replace the sprites with models. :P

Jon said:

(I'm busy replaying Frontier: Elite 2 at the moment. Relive the past!)

That's an old favourite of mine though a bugger to play on a stock A500.

Do you know how many places the FreeDoom name appears, how many forums. It is even in the DoomLegacy source code as a supported wad.
Please Lock this thread, and bury it under peat.

How about "DoomNotGloom"? :P

OT: I loved Gloom on the Miggy. I had a 68040 and it ran like a dream. It may be a little closer to W3D in terms of the flat levels but it had some pretty sophisticated stuff - lots of movable walls and spinning things (poly objects?). It also had a great easter egg in the Defender arcade machine. However, nothing holds a candle to AB3D. My very favourite FPS of all time - it's still a scary-ass game! :)

This discussion has been done to death. Please re-read the thread (and the other similar threads) to understand why the name has not changed. I'm going to lock this thread.