Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bgraybr

Doom GFX in other Game Palletes?

Recommended Posts

Well, problem solved, but it would still be nice if I could do this without converting every iwad graphic.

I'm going to update with pics of all of the Doom engine game palettes applied:

Strife:
1

Heretic: (colors are more balanced than the Strife palette- the biggest difference is that rust and green colors stand out more, which can be a cool effect)
1
2
3

Spoiler

As an experiment, I copied the Strife palette and colormap to a a new wad, and all of the Doom graphics. I converted them first to truecolor .png images and then to Doom graphics format (with the Strife palette and dithering). Surprisingly enough it worked, although it doesn't look that great the graphics don't appear palette-raped anymore. I'm going to try it with some other palettes. The one big problem is that in game all flats appear badly distorted like in this image. Any ideas why? The other (more or less obvious problem) is that involves copying over every iwad graphic.

Share this post


Link to post
bgraybr said:

As an experiment, I copied the Strife palette and colormap to a a new wad, and all of the Doom graphics. I converted them first to truecolor .png images and then to Doom graphics format (with the Strife palette and dithering). Surprisingly enough it worked, although it doesn't look that great the graphics don't appear palette-raped anymore. I'm going to try it with some other palettes. The one big problem is that in game all flats appear badly distorted like in this image. Any ideas why? The other (more or less obvious problem) is that involves copying over every iwad graphic.


The screenshot shows some sort of graphics format mismatch, not specifically having anything at all to do with palettes.

Describe your workflow in more detail.

Share this post


Link to post
natt said:

The screenshot shows some sort of graphics format mismatch, not specifically having anything at all to do with palettes.

Describe your workflow in more detail.


Hmmm... I've seen a similar visual error with flats while trying to run Sunder and some other mods in the Doomsday Engine. Any details on what it's called and what specifically causes it?

I tested this in Zdoom and GZDoom, same effect in both. What would you like to know? I described my entire work process, I converted all of the Doom graphics int 32 bit .pngs, and then converted them to Doom graphics format with the Strife palette. I then copied them into a pwad containing the Strife palette and colormap. All of this was done using Slade 3, and all of the graphics look undistorted in the preview.

Share this post


Link to post
bgraybr said:

Hmmm... I've seen a similar visual error with flats while trying to run Sunder and some other mods in the Doomsday Engine. Any details on what it's called and what specifically causes it?

I tested this in Zdoom and GZDoom, same effect in both. What would you like to know? I described my entire work process, I converted all of the Doom graphics int 32 bit .pngs, and then converted them to Doom graphics format with the Strife palette. I then copied them into a pwad containing the Strife palette and colormap. All of this was done using Slade 3, and all of the graphics look undistorted in the preview.


There are two different "Doom graphics format"s. One is for patches and sprites, and the other is for flats. You have to specifically import to flat format, not the other one.

Share this post


Link to post
natt said:

There are two different "Doom graphics format"s. One is for patches and sprites, and the other is for flats. You have to specifically import to flat format, not the other one.


Thanks! that seems to do the trick.

Image now in link due to size

Share this post


Link to post

A fun effect of using the Strife palette and colormap is that you'll see some colors -- bright reds and green IIRC -- remain fullbright even in complete darkness.

Share this post


Link to post

Looks pretty cool. Are you gonna try other palletes and/or take more screenshots to show off more of the color spectrum?

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

Looks pretty cool. Are you gonna try other palletes and/or take more screenshots to show off more of the color spectrum?


Yup, but it will probably be a little slow because I'm doing stuff IRL right now. Updated main post.

Share this post


Link to post

I would also like to see this done with the Quake palette. Will you be releasing these modifications? They would spice up vanilla-textured megawads.

Share this post


Link to post
bgraybr said:

Well, problem solved, but it would still be nice if I could do this without converting every iwad graphic.


There is, but unfortunately you would need to edit Doom's pallete by copying the RGB values of every color in the desired pallete, and pasting them over the colors in Doom they best resemble. It would be an extremely tedious process but it wouldn't require and entire IWAD's worth of graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
jute said:

I would also like to see this done with the Quake palette. Will you be releasing these modifications? They would spice up vanilla-textured megawads.


There would probably be a legal issue with it - all graphics (most of the IWAD assets) are being altered slightly without significant modification. If it were released as a translation table of sorts for the source ports that use that sort of thing, it could be possible.

Share this post


Link to post

If you want to make "rust and green colors stand out more", just edit PLAYPAL to make rust and green colors stand out more. Editing 10MB of graphics instead of 768 bytes of palette is just silly.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×