Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Marathon Doom (proposed community project)

So I'd like to propose a community project: What about a levelset for Doom 2 for Boom that emulates the Marathon 1 maps? I always thought that it's atmosphere was really neat, and I always wanted to see something like it in Doom.

I decided to steal and slightly modify the CC4 texture pack for this project. (I hope essel doesn't mind :P) It contains music, too. (not necessarily in the final order yet, I'll wait till all the maps are done.)
Download is here: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/3v6SsNsATx/mdoomrec.zip

I'm working on MAP01 for the time being, and I don't have much to show yet (just started), but here's a screen of the starting area:

I only remember bad things about Marathon's level design; the only element I recall enjoying was the interaction with the terminals, and you can't do that with Boom. I can't say much about the atmosphere either, so I guess I should go back and replay the original at some point to see what the hell you're talking about.

I'm not a fan of Marathon's atmosphere, and not a fan of it's level design either, I'm afraid. But goodluck nonetheless. Screenshot doesn't look too bad IMO.

Huh. Is there anyone on these forums that actually like Marathon, or am I just wasting my time with this?

I liked it, and would participate, but I'm too busy with making an E3M3 for Freedoom, beginning a community project myself, and working on my megaw- er, mapset. I'm sure you'll have some people interested though.

Also, this would go great with this Marathon Doom gameplay mod.

Why are you using new textures, more importantly, new textures that already have UAC logos on them in a Marathon map remake?

The first post said:

What about a levelset for Doom 2 for Boom that emulates the Marathon 1 maps?

Hooray for reading comprehension. :p

Sodaholic said:

Huh. Is there anyone on these forums that actually like Marathon, or am I just wasting my time with this?

I loved it and played it alot, hands down THE best storyline of any game.

I'd love to play this

40oz said:

Why are you using new textures, more importantly, new textures that already have UAC logos on them in a Marathon map remake?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Marathon's textures are often ugly enough to make "Mt. Erebus" look comparatively tasteful, admittedly, but I'd imagine something could be done with them that would be more appropriate than Doom recolors, given that the stated aim of the project is to emulate the atmosphere of Marathon.

I would rip the Marathon textures and clean them up, but I can't find any utilities that will do it well. (it doesn't bother exporting half the resources when I tell it to)

As for the UAC logo, I'd rather keep that, as these are Marathon themed maps in the Doom universe, it isn't set in the Marathon universe.

As for terminals, they weren't really a part of the plan, but I do know a way that they could be implemented. (teleports to rooms with terminal screens on them activated by pressing use, when done, teleport back to the main level)

esselfortium said:

But...they aren't Marathon themed. :-\

I wasn't referring to the textures, I'd rather have Marathon textures than Doom recolors. But it's set in the Doom universe, but supposed to be heavily modeled after the Marathon.

But still, what does a texture like that have that a texture like DOOR3 doesn't besides a logo for a corporation that has nothing to do with Marathon? I mean, it appears as though you are inflating the filesize by adding textures for the sake of adding textures. Why wouldn't you just use Doom textures?

I think having Doom's guns and it having to be run with Doom make it clear enough that it is marathon's maps in the doom universe, using textures with UAC logos on them just seems silly.

I might actually participate after all, now that I've finished the FreeDoom maps I was doing, but I'll wait and see what happens with this texture issue first. Looking through the current texture pack, not much of it actually even fits the ship-theme this will likely have. The tech stuff is good though.

I would like to see someone convert some of the Marathon textures over, it'd fit in a lot more with the whole Marathon atmosphere.

I was working on a Marathon weapons mod for Doom some time ago which I worked very hard to make it look and act as much as the original as possible. I also collected all the texutres from M2 and M: Infinity (they shared a few but many were diffrent). The ones in the first game really aren't useable.