Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Death Eggs Maps

I've begun some preliminary work on a map similar to E3M3, it probably won't be done for a while, but either way, just putting that out there.

Map downloads:
E3M3
E3M9
E3M7
E2M9
E4M9

(Note: All dead links)

On another note, could someone make a different song for E3M3? The current one is annoying as hell.

Map Status: Map Layout - 60% complete

It probably won't be done for a while

I lied.

I'm sure there's a lot of balancing left to do, and maybe some layout changes to be made, but here's what I've gotten so far.

On my first play through of the level, I started out by exploring the back cave passage type things and got the blue key. Then when I first saw the exit door I noticed it required a blue key. So I just rushed past all of the enemies, opened the exit door, and finished the level. I was able to skip going through about half of the map. Was this intentional? You might want to make it harder to get to the exit door, like having a demon or two come and block you if you try to rush directly towards the exit. Or you could have an enemy inside the exit room, one that makes you have to retreat backwards to kill it.

BondEar said:

On my first play through of the level, I started out by exploring the back cave passage type things and got the blue key. Then when I first saw the exit door I noticed it required a blue key. So I just rushed past all of the enemies, opened the exit door, and finished the level. I was able to skip going through about half of the map. Was this intentional? You might want to make it harder to get to the exit door, like having a demon or two come and block you if you try to rush directly towards the exit. Or you could have an enemy inside the exit room, one that makes you have to retreat backwards to kill it.

The original E3M3 was a lot like this, a large portion of the level was completely optional. Though I think a problem with mine is that the exit is a bit more obvious than the originals and there isn't as much blocking your way to it.

The demon in that area would help slow you down a bit but still wouldn't solve the problem. I've got an idea, hold on, let me update the map...

Alright, In this version there isn't an immediate path to the exit door, you have to go through more of the level to get to it.

EDIT: Small bugfix.

Nice E3M3! I used chocodoom, skill 3, keyboard only. Made it on my first attempt with 100% x 3. A couple things I noticed:

The candles/skulls thing in the wooden hallway (near the shotgun) can make it difficult to navigate that corridor. You might consider widening the hall there, or recessing that thing into a niche.

I purposefully jumped into the blood pool after grabbing the rocket launcher, just for fun, and there was no obvious way to get out (so I noclip'd). Not sure if that was intentional or not.

The music didn't bother me. Actually it sort of fits the level, being weird and creepy. But there's a lot of different tastes in this area.

Anyway, how the heck do you map so fast?...

hex11 said:

Nice E3M3! I used chocodoom, skill 3, keyboard only. Made it on my first attempt with 100% x 3. A couple things I noticed:

The candles/skulls thing in the wooden hallway (near the shotgun) can make it difficult to navigate that corridor. You might consider widening the hall there, or recessing that thing into a niche.

I thought that hallway might cause some problems,I just forgot to fix it up.

I purposefully jumped into the blood pool after grabbing the rocket launcher, just for fun, and there was no obvious way to get out (so I noclip'd). Not sure if that was intentional or not.

I didn't think about that, hold on, I'll get that fixed real quick...

Here we go. Widened the hallway while I was at it.

The music didn't bother me. Actually it sort of fits the level, being weird and creepy. But there's a lot of different tastes in this area.

I think it's more the instrument choices than the composition, it's pretty grating to me, though it might be different on other computers.

Anyway, how the heck do you map so fast?...

Mostly because I enjoy it, though also because I have a lot of free time now that I'm out of high school.

TrueDude said:

Just finished the first beta of E3M7. Comments and criticism welcome.

Very nice! It feels a lot like the id map, but different enough to be interesting. This one gave me a lot more trouble than E3M3, and I often found myself very low on health and/or ammo (probably shouldn't have opened up that trap/door to nowhere next to the start).

I liked how there are opportunities for monster infighting between imps & cacos. That helped me stay alive longer. But even so, I ran out completely of ammo in the blue room and had to finish off the last imp with my fists. Btw, the "faces" texture on the right wall of that room wasn't scrolling (but the left one was). I greedily loaded up on ammo after jumping into the teleporter (had already killed the demons from below) and proceeded to the nukage maze.

There were plenty enough suits but I found myself once again low on ammo so ended up rushing anyway, rather than play with the cacos. The red key opened up a door I hoped would contain a rocket launcher (given the ammo around it) but instead revealed a nasty surprise that I first tried to fight, but then decided it was futile since I only had a few shells left, so instead jumped into the nearby handy teleport hoping it would take me somewhere safer (and maybe to a rocket launcher).

All I got out of that was a yellow key, so I ran for the doors I remembered seeing earlier, and opened the wrong one. Tried to assess the situation while getting swarmed by some flying nasties, and decided I better try the other door. Well, it wasn't a door after all, so I ran back in hopes of making it before the baron and his friends surrounded me, but alas I was pumelled senseless only steps away from the bridge.

I'll try my hand again when I can recover from my bruises and work up the courage. ;) I didn't notice any technical errors while playing with Chocolate Doom, except that static faces texture. I think health/ammo balance is right on, because it forced me to carefully weigh my options instead of just slugging it out in every fight. I didn't find any secrets, but didn't look too hard except in that dead-end room near the start (how fiendish!)

hex11 said:

Btw, the "faces" texture on the right wall of that room wasn't scrolling (but the left one was).

Well I have Doombuilder set to Boom mode, and on Boom there's the ability to make walls scroll in the opposite direction. (Which those faces do in other source ports) E3M3 was similar in that the waterfall scrolls downwards, though that isn't as noticeable when the feature doesn't work. For the sake of vanilla compatibility, though, I've made it scroll the same direction, as well as added a smidge more ammo.

TrueDude said:

For the sake of vanilla compatibility, though, I've made it scroll the same direction, as well as added a smidge more ammo.

The maps for Freedoom are designed to be Boom compatible, not vanilla. There's no reason to make your map so, because many of the other maps in the full wad won't work properly in vanilla anyways.

I tried again and managed to finish playtesting that E3M7. This time I immediately took care of the baron with the BFG. Couldn't find the rocket launcher though, and ended with 82% kills, 92% items, 33% secrets (again on skill 3, keyboard only). I noticed the secret-looking room next to the exit, but couldn't find a way in there. It's hillarious that I died within sight of what turned out to be the exit room on my first attempt. :D

And yeah, I pretty much use Chocolate Doom to run everything, only switching to PrBoom if that becomes totally impossible. Some of the maps crash immediately (E1M1, E1M8), while others are completely playable (E1M2), and others are mostly okay but need slight cheating to complete (E1M3 due to the bridge, E1M4 has a non-working switch). E1M6 and E1M9 aren't finished (just needs "things") but they run okay too.

It would be awesome if Freedoom were playable in both engines, with advanced features being present when a Boom context is detected, and otherwise falling back into vanilla mode. But that requires more care in map-making, and may not be possible in all cases.

TrueDude said:

Took me three attempts, but I managed to survive (0% kills, 50% items, 100% secrets). The computer map came in real handy. Also managed to grab plasma and chaingun before exiting in 0:26, well before PAR time. :D

Plays fine, and I even had fun falling in lava, shooting myself with rocket launcher, etc.

All of these files except E3M3 have disappeared from hosting sites. Did anybody save them?

Thanks! I'll save them on backup disk this time. ;)

Maybe they should be added to the IWAD also...

You know, the reason mentioned earlier that my maps aren't allowed in yet was because they're too close to the originals, but then what about E2M1? That one's really quite close to the original too.