Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BathroomCitizen

Hi! Got Some Questions!

Hi,
I'm new here. I played a bit of doom when I was a little boy, and then rebought them via Steam. I've got a question: what's the most popular controls scheme for multiplayer gaming in doom?
Do you guys use keyboard + mouse (with mouselook?) ?

Also, what are the best server browsers?

Thanks

Welcome!

The scheme I use is right click to shoot, W and S for forward and backward, A and D to strafe left and right.

Most people use mouselook for modern multiplayer, but not for singleplayer unless required. The browser I use is Doomseeker.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the steam version of Doom uses the Doom95 port. Doom95 is very outdated and bugridden, so if I were you I'd use a modern sourceport like Skulltag.

Or if you want a more classic experience, there's Chocolate Doom.

No, I haven't tried the Steam version yet. But I'm going strong with Skulltag, it rocks!!!

However, how do I change resolution? I'm trying my native one - 1920x1080. The screen seems to refit itself, but then the resolution stays the same, as low as ever.

How do I REALLY change resolution?

That's the same resolution as my screen- I can't get rid of the black borders with any port but Zdoom.

But anyways, what do you mean by it stays the same? It might have something to do with the aspect ratio, try messing around with it under the settings.

Yep, but it's weird. If I try to change and set ANY kind of resolution, it stays always the same.

For example, I choose 1920x1080, and it looks just the same as choosing 640x480.

Doom95's bearable with the mouse patch but I wouldn't recommend it to a new player.

BathroomCitizen said:

Yep, but it's weird. If I try to change and set ANY kind of resolution, it stays always the same.

For example, I choose 1920x1080, and it looks just the same as choosing 640x480.

Bear in mind that the texture set is 17 years old and decidedly low resolution. Setting a higher resolution won't magically make them look better since all the renderer's basically doing is scaling the graphics to suit your monitor - though there are a few display filter options you can try fiddling with. There's also a hi-res texture set or two floating around that you might like to try but I don't know if any of them are complete.

Ahh sorry! It was just my perception that was wrong: the resolution DOES change, now I can see the difference!

Got to get my eyes fixed with some laser surgery :p