Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hekksy

Odamex 0.5.2 released

The Odamex dev team has rolled out a new release, 0.5.2, with the help of their newest developer: dr_sean. Among other things, the biggest features include smoother network code for lifts and doors, UPnP support, and toggleable ZDoom behavior. Be sure to check out the more detailed changelog here and download a package for your OS at the project's home page, odamex.net.

I played some coop on REQUIEM.wad (with nobody) earlier. This update speaks for itself as far as the improved netcode goes. Most of the time I forgot I was even playing online. Lost souls can be tricky sometimes though. The gameplay was pretty steady and I didn't experience any of those theres-no-way-that-demon-was-close-enough-to-bite-me and that-fireball-came-outta-nowhere moments.

I'll have to give it a try. I've only tried Skulltag for multilayer Doom and didn't enjoy it very much.

How popular is this port online? I'm in the UK so most of the time it seems pretty quiet but I'm not sure if that's just a time difference thing.

There are plenty of people that play Odamex, just not all the time. Typically to get a game going you will want to either hang in a server until someone joins or ask for a game in #odamex (recommended)

If you do want to get a game going though, I recommend you join Grandpa Chuck's Playground [0.5.2] FFA. The client will download the WAD for you. I even have my IDE Gadget set to refresh every 60 seconds to show when its active :)

http://users.coffeenet.org/~vulture/RandomPics/gadget.png

While it's a bit unfortunate that ZDaemon and Skulltag are superior as far as player base I can honestly say I've had the most fun dooming online with Odamex. I wish Nightmare coop was a little more prevalent for the time-being though being as though I rarely find anybody playing and cooperative is a gamemode thats playable with only one player.

40oz said:

ZDaemon and Skulltag are superior as far as player base

Only in number.

40oz said:

Nightmare coop

Arrange a time and I'd join. Coop is my preferred game mode, but I don't feel like waiting eons for someone to join an Odamex server.

How can a game mode present in the original game be more fun in one port than another; does Odamex offer additional options for the mode that other ports don't?

it's really a shame this isn't more popular. perhaps it would gain some more followers if it had support for multiplayer instant-classics like "All Out War 2: The Omega Project" and "supergun2.wad", among others.

Vermil said:

How can a game mode present in the original game be more fun in one port than another

I've played nightmare coop with 40oz using Skulltag. I don't really care about the port, it's just that unless you want to play MMDM/AOW2/GvH, good luck finding anyone. The few times there is someone in a normal Doom server, it's usually set to survival.

Tango said:

it's really a shame this isn't more popular.

It would be if everyone would hang out in #odamex and join the games when people call them. There usually is at least one big game a day, you just have to be lucky enough to catch it. Also usually if you ask for a game in #odamex someone will respond.

It works for me: http://users.coffeenet.org/~vulture/DOOM0001.png

0.5.3 has been released due to a server crash that would happen if wad downloading was disabled. The update includes some cool other changes though.