Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Quake 5 might be a reboot of Quake 1

Mmm.... okey... but instead, why not to make a new game. Quake 1 is good as is, no reboot is needed, isn't?

On the one hand, revisiting the Quake world holds promise.

On the other hand, modern shooters are meh.

It might be a good opportunity to revisit the original vision they had for Quake, before they decided to make it another shooter. We already know Doom 4 will be a shooter, and we wouldn't have it any other way. But for Quake, I think it'd be good for them to venture outside their comfort zone a bit.

the only problem is that it will be released on id tech 10 during 2021

Revisiting Quake 1's world sounds pretty awesome. Don't need to say anything else, because no one stops bitching about FPS games that came out after the 90's anyway.

Mr. Freeze said:

the only problem is that it will be released on id tech 10 during 2021

Actually, its been confirmed (unless I am wrong) that John is working on Id Tech 6 (Rage and Doom 4 will use Id Tech 5) so its not impossible that any possible future Quake game would indeed use a new tech. However we are talking so far in head of time that its impossible ot guess what will happen, really.

My dream Quake 5 is:

- The setting and creepiness of Quake 1
- The awesomely-insane music of Quake 2
- The frenetic pace and replayability of Quake 3
- The looks of Quake 4

Probably won't turn out exactly this way, though, let's be frank. xP

A Quake I revisit does sound interesting, but It'd probably contain a lot of Modern Shooter crap. Now, however, I've actually always more enjoyed the whole Strogg settings more than the gothic Style of Quake I, and so another Strogg adventure in my opinion and mind would be better.

John Carmack said:

rebo...

ZzzzZZzzzzZZZzzzZZZz

Sorry, what? Oh, must've fallen asleep.

Yay for id and their imaginative approach to game production. I'm glad they haven't followed the current trend of making 1001 sequels and remakes of their old games. No, we can count on id to always be pushing the envelope and trying something new. id stands alone as a shining example of how it should be done compared to all other game manufacturers who just milk their cash-cow titles over and over. It would be terrible if id ever caved in and became just like the boring, unimaginative herd.

I lol'd.

Honestly, I never liked Quake as much as Quake 2. It might be awesome if they made it more of a survival horror game, or at least more like Doom 3.

As long as it's not a sequel to Quake 3, I'm good. Quake 1 is my favorite of the series, I wouldn't mind seeing an updated version of it.

Oh wow I was just talking about this the other day as something they would never do. I really hope they go ahead with it.

Enjay said:

ZzzzZZzzzzZZZzzzZZZz

Yay for id and their imaginative approach to game production. I'm glad they haven't followed the current trend of making 1001 sequels and remakes of their old games. No, we can count on id to always be pushing the envelope and trying something new. id stands alone as a shining example of how it should be done compared to all other game manufacturers who just milk their cash-cow titles over and over. It would be terrible if id ever caved in and became just like the boring, unimaginative herd.

Id has never been original, everything they have made has basically just been a collection of first person shooters so I don't get the sarcasm.

Not to mention that it doesn't even make sense, seeing as their next upcoming shooter is in fact neither a sequel or a reboot.

Granted that I haven't liked everything they have made, but I have never played an Id game that I would call "bad". So so, just ok, a bit mediocre, sure, but never bad.

Enjay said:

ZzzzZZzzzzZZZzzzZZZz

Doom 2? Final Doom? Quake 2? Quake 3? .... Doom 3?

Unless I'm forgetting something, Rage is the first major departure they've made from sequels and remakes since Quake 1 came out. So it's not as though you're describing a new or growing phenomenon for id Software.

I'm all for it. I mean, I've always been a fan of the concept of Quake 1 and what it could be, but I could just never get into the game itself. I know people look down on remakes and reboots, but my take on reboots is they should be a way to revitalize a cool concept with a failed execution, and that's how I see Quake 1.

Jimmy91 said:

- The awesomely-insane music of Quake 2

This is going to make me sound hipster as fuck, but I never really liked Quake 2's music. The only tracks that stand out are Quad Machine and Descent Into Cyberon, the rest felt really generic and forgettable.

Clonehunter said:

I've actually always more enjoyed the whole Strogg settings more than the gothic Style of Quake I, and so another Strogg adventure in my opinion and mind would be better.

you have

Quake 2
Quake 4
Quake Wars

ISNT THAT ENOUGH

esselfortium said:

Rage is the first major departure they've made from sequels and remakes since Quake 1 came out. So it's not as though you're describing a new or growing phenomenon for id Software.

I think that was the joke right? RIGHT?

Well I prefered the dark, ambient-like Quake 1 music to the industrial/metal Quake 2 tracks, but everyone has their own taste. Anyway, I generally turned off the music entirely and cranked up the SFX when playing those games. And actually, that's how Quake was originally going to be, according to /idgames/docs/faqs/qtalk400.txt (@11%, Romero goes on about how the world will sound and react realistically).

I hope this becomes a reality. I've wanted to revisit the world of Quake 1 since... Quake 1. Pry Trent Reznor out of hiding and get him on the audio department and I think I'd have a bit of a nerdgasm.

I'll gladly pass. Modern shooters don't appeal to me and neither does the style of Q1. So it's double fail.

If you want to revisit Q1 that badly, there's tons of mods out there. :) Heck, there's a bunch of engines (aka ports), even some real advanced shit if you're into that kinky stuff.

40oz said:

I think that was the joke right? RIGHT?

It was meant to be - at least partially. Reading it back though, I'm not even convinced that I would get it myself. O_o

Although I'm not a huge Quake fan (and I prefer Q2) the original Quake might be nice to see in newer software for a number of reasons:

Although the original was gritty and grim (and brown), I never felt that the early 3D technology was able to truly support what they were trying to show (eg ultra-low poly models necessitating block-headed ogres with painfully low-res skins (I always thought they looked worse than sprites) etc).

The original game had a unique atmosphere and - atmosphere and setting-wise - was not merely a rehash of another shooter. It might be nice to see that in an engine that can do it more justice. I find the original to have a genuinely creepy and quite disgusting atmosphere in places (IMO, ably supported by the music).

The gameplay (and "story", pretty much), however, was merely just a rehash of Doom and it would have been interesting to see some of the elements that id originally planned for it. Perhaps the style and pace of modern games might be more suited to showing a few of those elements.

In fact, on reflection, I think I would rather that id had made a Quake reboot (shudders at using the term) instead of Doom3. I think the engine and what they tried to do with Doom3 would have sat much better with something themed like Quake.

All that being said, I'm very much a "wait and see" guy with id these days. Long gone are the days when the id label on a game meant "instant hit" for me.

I think it's funny how the term "reboot" is so stigmatized these days that people automatically sneer when they hear it. It sounds to me less like "Quake 5" would be a Q1 reboot, but just a revisit to that universe: a "real Quake 2," as it were. So that takes away that scary "reboot" word and hopefully makes it more palatable for people.

But anyway, I'm excited about this idea. I hope they go through with it. I've never really liked the "Strogg universe."

Another Lovecraftian Quake would be brilliant. I hope it really happens.

Megamur said:

I think it's funny how the term "reboot" is so stigmatized these days that people automatically sneer when they hear it.

IMO, it's because the term has been over used as a new trendy way to say "remake". I don't mind the idea of a remake (not specifically Quake, just the general principle) but when people start going on about a "reboot" to me it just sounds dickish and a bit uncomfortably embarrassing like when a teacher tries to be "down with the kids, homie" or your dad starts dancing.