Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

MIDI2MUS - 64-bit compatible?

So I tried using MIDI2MUS recently on my new computer and I get a message telling me it cannot start or run because it is incompatible with the 64-bit version of Windows. Is there an alternate way I can use this application?

And please refrain from telling me how unnecessary it is to be using MIDI2MUS in the first place. :)

The closest you can do is download DOSBox and use it through that. I had to do that myself too.

If you're in the mood to run random crap you got off the internet, I wrote this.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5lifrcfcgp339oz

License is modified BSD, source code is included. Executable and object files included were compiled with mingw as a 32 bit windows executable, so should run fine on win2k+, 32bit or 64bit.

It's had very little bugtesting though.

Not really sure how to use midi3mus; what would the normal process of converting MIDI files to MUS format be?

I was using XWE to convert MIDI files to MUS format using midi2mus.

Yeah sorry, I need to learn my stuff.

Should drop-in replace midi2mus.exe as long as you don't use the /v or /t options. (I don't know if XWE uses those options when it runs it.)

natt said:

If you're in the mood to run random crap you got off the internet, I wrote this.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5lifrcfcgp339oz

License is modified BSD, source code is included. Executable and object files included were compiled with mingw as a 32 bit windows executable, so should run fine on win2k+, 32bit or 64bit.

It's had very little bugtesting though.

Thanks for this, super easy to use. Just drag and drop MIDI files onto the executable!

Works for me, at least. 64-bit Vista.

valkiriforce said:

And please refrain from telling me how unnecessary it is to be using MIDI2MUS in the first place. :)

If you are aware of this, why do you want to convert perfectly good MIDI into stunted MUS in the first place?

Gez said:

If you are aware of this, why do you want to convert perfectly good MIDI into stunted MUS in the first place?

Stunted, as in midi2mus makes defective MUS files?

As in "wholly inappropriate, obsolete format that utterly misshapes and ruins the integrity of perfectly serviceable MIDIs", probably.

Does this stuff even matter much if you're going to play with OPL music? I'm more interested in faithful emulation of that chip than "high fidelity" sound formats. This probably makes musicians cry, but don't feel bad... I also prefer software-rendered 320x200 screens, and regular, plain old vanilla (not even limit-removing) maps.

To my knowledge, MUS playback in Doom sounds the same as the MIDI it's based on, because it's being played with the same synths or software. It just butchers the data horribly in ways that are completely unnecessary today.

Please excuse this 8 year necrobump - I really want to get a copy of midi3mus uploaded to the archive but I need to clarify something first. natt said midi3mus's license is modified BSD. After checking out Wikipedia I'm 99.999% sure that means I can simply select yes at the "Allow adaptations of your work to be shared?" portion of the Text File Generator but I want to be 100% sure before uploading anything anywhere.

Yes, I know conversion to mus is lame and dumb, but there are some fringe cases where it is useful - Sometimes MIDI files are just ever so slightly too big or too complex for doom2.exe, but after a conversion to .mus, they come down just enough to be played back fine. It's also good for the 3 people from now til the end of time who intend to make a wad and play it in Doom95 or the stable builds of Legacy.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

After checking out Wikipedia I'm 99.999% sure that means I can simply select yes at the "Allow adaptations of your work to be shared?" portion of the Text File Generator but I want to be 100% sure before uploading anything anywhere.

That's correct, but the correct thing to do in this case is to generate the text file, then delete the generated text and replace it with the actual license text. Otherwise you're attaching a new license that the author didn't agree to.

Necrothread update: I have made a mirror of this sometimes very useful utility at https://github.com/samboy/ObHack in the folder “midi3mus”.  Doomsday 1.8.6 has issues playing some MIDI files, but no issues playing the same files after they have been converted to .MUS files.