Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghastly

Double-Impact Youtube playthrough and secret list

A month or two ago, I looked at DoomWorld's front page and noticed a news entry about a Doom 1, Episode 1-replacing wad entitled Double Impact, by Rottking and Ralphis (or Ralphis and Rottking, depending on who did more work :P). I started playing it, and through the first map, I decided to record a run on Youtube for this. I've made it up to E1M7 (having trouble with it, but I'll get it soon). I thought people might enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL1F6D423F31182BB3&feature=mh_lolz

Secondly, in case I memorize a map, take a break for a month or so and come back, to realize I forgot most of it, I typed down a list of secrets: http://pastebin.com/Xgz2SA67 If anybody wants to set up a doom.wikia page for these maps, there's a decent amount of the work done for you.

All in all, I am enjoying this wad /QUITE/ a bit. It has the type of gameplay I really like; enemies used fairly, but there are some cruel traps. However, said traps have weak spots, tools to help, or even ways of avoiding or sabotaging entirely. The secrets, also, aren't amazingly difficult to find, either, and the style of hiding them is mostly consistent, too (discolored/misaligned walls, obvious doors with hidden switches nearby, things like that). I only had to open up Doom Builder to find one of them.

E1M7, though, seems to break away from these conventions. I'm still working on it, though, but I'm not sure how to beat a large wave of Imps, Demons and Barons, then have enough ammo to tackle FOUR Cyberdemons at the start of the next map. :/

Ghastly_dragon said:

E1M7, though, seems to break away from these conventions. I'm still working on it, though, but I'm not sure how to beat a large wave of Imps, Demons and Barons, then have enough ammo to tackle FOUR Cyberdemons at the start of the next map. :/

it's possible to max m8 from pistol start, but anything saved from m7 is a small treasure. the best tactic to have an easier time:
- collect all rockets in m7, but save them for the final battle.
- start killing the invading imps with chaingun for as long as possible in order to let the barons port in, have some imps infight with them and don't waste rockets on weak stuff.
- shoot rox deep into packed barons to profit on splash damage
- after running out... save all plasma and possibly chaingun, kill the remaining barons using shotgun and berserk, if you dare.

- in m8, IGNORE all monsters that aren't directly threatening you by blocking your way. your mission is to press the buttons!
- have the spiders infight with the cybies and hope for a miracle (once, i helped the spiders a bit to drop 3 cybies! but that is extremely improbable).
- let the final horde out and again, make them infight with the cybs (no hitting the moomoos). help them with your hoarded plasma, then chaingun.
- don't use RL until you're fighting just 1 or 2 cybs or you'll lose track of all the rockets flying back and forth. cybies are immune to splash damage anyways.

the final fight in m7 is meant to be a scary survival sort of thing where you run away from the overwhelming baron horde. it was even worse in the beta versions, but rott gave in to my whining and added more ammo. :) m8 is a troll map of sorts. you're not really meant to kill all the cybs, just run away from them while doing tasks. maxing the map makes you feel like a boss, though. :p

Eh, I figured that's how you were supposed to do it. I try not to rely on infighting, since I'm very cautious and try to plan out my run exactly and infighting a bit too random and unpredictable for that. I'll see what I can do about that, though.

At first, it looked like they designed the end of M7 without any regard for what was going on in M8, but that was just a first reaction. It'll be tricky to get 100% both, but I'll see if I can beat the end of it without using very many rockets (I figure I'll have to use one or two beforehand, though, to sabotage some of the ambushes). Worst-case, I'll see if I can just speedrun M8.

Ghastly_dragon said:

The barons at the end of E1M7 weren't really meant to be killed, just a few so you can survive waiting for the exit to open and run away. E1M8 had the same idea, the cybs and spiders I intended to be optional while you just hit all the switches and made your way to the exit. I suppose it's hard to really get that point across in a vanilla doom wad, oh well. I did test each map from a pistol start, including E1M8 and found I could kill all the enemies with little in fighting, so I made sure it was possible, just not intended :P Glad to hear you're enjoying it though, positive feedback is always nice.

RottKing said:

optional

What exactly is the option if the ammo isn't provided to kill said monsters?

RottKing said:

The barons at the end of E1M7 weren't really meant to be killed, just a few so you can survive waiting for the exit to open and run away.

Still, I'd like to 100% it, if possible (aside from those damn three monsters that I couldn't find in M3). I'll see if I can punch the Barons out out after everything else is dead. I'm specifically saving a soulsphere and the blue armor for before I exit the map (THANK YOU for adding that two-unit-wide walkway to get back to the blue armor secret at the end!), so it shouldn't be that bad.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it though, positive feedback is always nice.

Well, genuinely constructive criticism in general is nice to hear. You don't want to hear positive feedback if you're making total crap, for example. :P

40oz said:

What exactly is the option if the ammo isn't provided to kill said monsters?

Except I did provide the ammo? I said I tested every map from a pistol start on each difficulty and killing every monster, so unless I messed up testing something there should be sufficient ammo to kill everything even on e1m7 and e1m8.

Ghastly_dragon said:

Well, genuinely constructive criticism in general is nice to hear. You don't want to hear positive feedback if you're making total crap, for example. :P

Of course, but I get a lot of enjoyment from seeing people play maps I've made/worked on, I'll even join servers just so I can watch people play them!

Even though I've been quiet lately, I have been watching your entire set on youtube and patiently await the end of e1m7 and finally e1m8! Really glad you enjoyed our set and it's great to be able to watch someone play through the whole thing

RottKing said:

The barons at the end of E1M7 weren't really meant to be killed, just a few so you can survive waiting for the exit to open and run away. E1M8 had the same idea, the cybs and spiders I intended to be optional while you just hit all the switches and made your way to the exit. I suppose it's hard to really get that point across in a vanilla doom wad, oh well.

If monsters are truly meant to only be optionally killed, one idea is to make duplicate monsters by replacing unused decorations or something with dehacked, and make the duplicates not count towards kill %.

eternal slumber said:

If monsters are truly meant to only be optionally killed, one idea is to make duplicate monsters by replacing unused decorations or something with dehacked, and make the duplicates not count towards kill %.

That kind of defeats the purpose of a 100% kills/secrets run, to a degree. Still lets you get 100% kills, but you aren't actually killing 100% of the monsters.

Of course, 100% kill runs are optional in and of themselves, so that takes care of the issue. :P

Ghastly_dragon said:

Of course, 100% kill runs are optional in and of themselves, so that takes care of the issue. :P

Exactly. It doesn't matter if the author meant for some monsters to be optionally killed or not, because they all have to be killed in a max run anyway. But if the author removes the kill%, there can be truly optionally killed monsters. :)

eternal slumber said:

Exactly. It doesn't matter if the author meant for some monsters to be optionally killed or not, because they all have to be killed in a max run anyway. But if the author removes the kill%, there can be truly optionally killed monsters. :)

you assume max run equals killing as many monsters present at map start as possible, therefore reaching 100% kills or a lower value if some monsters are unreachable. doom2 turns this definition on its head by introducing archvile wizardry - resurrected monsters must be rekilled in a valid max, also any ghost monsters created intentionally or not (see hr map26, rq map23).

the issue is fuzzy, because lost souls needn't be killed and don't affect kill%, but this stems from PEs spawning them not unlike cubespitter monsters. lost souls spawning in the void don't help either, heh. however i think the spirit of the ruling would require killing of the filler monsters to count as max.

and just so we're clear, i prompted rott to add enough ammo to kill the barons effectively - if you save enough rockets. it was possible to max the beta version as well, but you had to do a lot of tysoning on a flock of barons. :)

Low resolution heavy compression and smeary texture filtering makes these videos annoying to watch.

dew said:

and just so we're clear, i prompted rott to add enough ammo to kill the barons effectively - if you save enough rockets. it was possible to max the beta version as well, but you had to do a lot of tysoning on a flock of barons. :)

I probably won't even use rockets on them. I tried it in a practice run or two, and after the imps are down, it's easy enough to Tyson the rest of Barons without taking too many fireballs, and I have a soulsphere and the blue armor on standby before I exit the map.

dew said: stuff

Lost souls are not killed in 100% runs as they are not shown on kill percentage, so decorate optional monster would act the same in max demos too imho.

dew - I know what the max "rules" are. :) They're a mix of facts and common sense. Why would duplicate monsters have to be killed in a max? Fact - they don't count towards kill percent. Common sense - the author went out of their way to make duplicate monsters with dehacked that don't count towards kill%.

i know it's all tradition and decisions by a council of elders. :) however, common sense - how is the player to know which monsters are "fake" and which need to be killed? we're talking about duplicate barons, authors could easily mix them with real barons and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. and lost souls are a well known exception, yet some players choose to kill them as well. demos leaving yet another type(s) of monsters alive would simply look weird (to me personally).

You're right, that's a good point. Maybe it would depend on the map? I'm hoping that if an author actually makes duplicate monsters, he/she wouldn't let them roam around with the normals. :) But then maybe someone will do just that, just to screw with us.

yeah, that would work, but it'd no doubt be confusing for newcomers. :) this reminds me how confused i was trying to max scythex map05, i always exited with a few monsters remaining and even close study in editor didn't help. how was i to know that lost souls replaced a regular monster type and had to be killed? :) PEs spawn some sort of a ghost, but they don't appear till map10. i solved that riddle only by luck and having smart monster count in pr+ turned on.

kristus said:

Low resolution heavy compression and smeary texture filtering makes these videos annoying to watch.

As opposed to the latest games on 1080p, ultra-graphic-setting videos with audio commentary consisting of "umm... uhh... *gets shot* FUCK! *breathing sounds*" and really sub-par gameplay quality (on the player's part, not the game's, though that's certainly debatable with today's crap).

I have an old-ish laptop and a 20kB/s upload speed with a somewhat unreliable connection. The compression codec I use compressed the shortest video to 200mb, but still looks pretty good until Youtube got a hold of it (which is what majorly tanked the quality).