Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is my first map, sort of. I have made some maps in the past that were cool but I never really got round to finishing them, and some I just haden't bothered uploading.

So, I made this map based around the original Episode 1 maps. It is kinda short but I think it fits well as an E1M1 map.

It will run in the original DOOM if you want but it doesn't make much difference to playing it in a source port.

Tell me what you think! :)
http://www849.megaupload.com/files/2cfc3e9c9f3c39cc117c0ff4d17daef5/VANILLADOOME1M1.rar

I have to say, for your first map this is really good.It's fun, it looks great BUT where are the secrets?Any good doom map should have secrets and you should add at least 2...oh and that skull switch at the end doesn't really fit E1.

Nice little map.

Processingcontrol said:

Where is it?

E1M1 - or are you having trouble with Mega-bloody-upload?

Provided Odd-o-matic has no objections - here's a MediaFire mirror for people who are having issues with Megaupload.

Just played it, and its good for a first map (better than mine).

You can get trapped in the exit room if the door closes.

Odd-o-matic said:

I have now updated the level with some secrets and I've changed the texture on the exit switch to a more E1 switch styled one.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/VANILLADOOME1M1.wad
Also, it's on Filesmelt this time so you won't have any problems downloading hopefully.

Sweet, another file-sharing site that doesn't require javascript. I'm adding it to my list. :)

Nice first map btw. The only technical problem I noticed was some tutti-fruity around the exit switch (visible in Chocolate Doom, other ports may hide that error). Good use of height variation and textures/decorations. I only found one secret (the box of bullets in the first room).

I'm not sure what exactly is causing it, but it's probably only visible in a true vanilla Doom ports, such as Chocolate Doom, or doom.exe itself. GZDoom is most likely hiding the presence of the bug (as does PrBoom).

Here's what it looks like in Chocolate Doom:
http://img-url.com/u/chocodoom.png

And this is with PrBoom:
http://img-url.com/u/prboom.png

Btw, I always play with the Freedoom IWAD, so that's why the textures and statusbar may look odd, but the same bug also shows up when using the official Ultimate Doom IWAD.

I loaded the map into Yadex and ran its automated checks, but it didn't find any errors. The tutti-fruity effect also doesn't show up in its 3D preview mode either, but it probably should since that would help catch mistakes like this.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can help identify the source of this tutti-fruity?

Marnetmar said:

Make sure the X and Y alignments are multiples of eight.

Huh?

Tutti-frutti is caused when a texture shorter than 128 units in vanilla (or of any non-power-of-2 height in ZDoom) is tiled vertically, whether it be by y-alignment, putting it on a wall taller than the texture, upper or lower unpegged use, or some combination thereof.

I'm not sure where you're getting the multiples of 8 thing; alignments can be any values you like.

Here's some more info:
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Tutti-frutti_effect

This is my understanding after reading that (someone please correct if it's wrong):

The exit sector height is 80, but the switch texture is 72 units tall, so the engine would normally tile the texture vertically, but since the overall height is less then 128, you get an undefined behavior that in this case shows up as tutti-frutti effect.

One way to correct it might be to prevent tiling of the switch texture by recessing it into a tiny sector of its own where the ceiling is 8 units lower. Either that, or just make the exit sector 72 units tall.

That v3 still showed the bug, even though you reduced the sector height to 72. But I noticed that the switch texture had a y-offset of 64, so I changed it to 0 and that seems to have done the trick:
http://img-url.com/u/fixed.png

Btw, consider testing all your vanilla maps in Chocolate Doom. It's the only way to catch stuff like this.

Linedef 222 should be flagged as 'secret.' I found it by using the automap... I'd recommend doing that for both secret areas as well as any monster closets you may plan on using in the future.

This is a nice map, pretty good for your first release. It's pretty short and easy but it is a E1M1 replacement/part of a mapset. How many maps are you planning?

Odd-o-matic said:

What do you mean? The link works fine to me...

It shows "This service is temporarily not available from your service area" when I clicks the link.

Snakes said:

Linedef 222 should be flagged as 'secret.' I found it by using the automap... I'd recommend doing that for both secret areas as well as any monster closets you may plan on using in the future.

How do I find Linedef 222? Is there a problem tagging sectors as secrets?

You should be able to find specific line numbers via Doom Builder's "find and replace" mode (hit the F3 key to open it).

Flagging lines as "secret" doesn't affect how the secret percentage is calculated, so you still need to use the "secret" sector special; the "secret" linedef flag mainly just draws the line in question as a wall on the automap, instead of as a door.

Oh, I wondered what it did. I've checked it now, it's working.
I thought it added to the secret count, I'll be sure to remember what it does now. :)

Fun map! Simple, but still conveys a cool atmosphere. I liked the stairway down into the dark basement :D

It is a bit easy...even the original E1M1 had more monsters. I would suggest adding some more, especially since there's a lot of ammo around.

Keep mapping :D

I made it so Ultra-Violence has more, and harder monsters. Still quite easy but it's different.
I've fixed all the tutti-fruttis for d ef in ate this time. In order to stop them from appearing I've had to change some textures (basically just the stairs). The new textures still fit in with E1 though...

This version also has E1M2 and it's got a lot more monsters and a slightly larger map. It's not massive because I just want to start making maps kinda small and then build up...

It's been tested in Chocolate Doom so no tutti-fruttis. Also, the room with the bunch of stairs was meant to contain a lift but I kept getting a message saying "No more plats!" so I've had to remove them.
DOWNLOADABLES: http://filesmelt.com/dl/FIRST.wad
---Download changed because I clicked the wrong file :S---