Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elic

Some vanilla Doom effect wad

Nothing new or exciting, but it's nice to see people experimenting with vanilla tricks again. In particular, I thought the potion shelves and chaingunner "dock" were the most useful and striking effects in the wad. The one with the imp, although pretty outstanding in itself, is really difficult to pull off and then you can't really do much with it afterwards, without blocking off all the areas around it.

If you're interested in other stuff to play with, try out some deep water or some light casting effects.

Personally, I'd like to see someone pull off a paradox-less sky over an enter-able building. :)

EarthQuake said:

Personally, I'd like to see someone pull off a paradox-less sky over an enter-able building. :)

You mean a solid-looking, enterable short building that doesn't cut off taller buildings around it? That'd be impressive to see in vanilla/Boom.

esselfortium said:

You mean a solid-looking, enterable short building that doesn't cut off taller buildings around it? That'd be impressive to see in vanilla/Boom.

Yeah... the only way I can think of is by clever use of middle textures.

But then you've got the issue of adding a ceiling that isn't a sky texture.

Is there any real way to pull off foolery like that in vanilla? I'd love to see it. I remember Creaphis made that trick where there was an Imp in a room above the player and then seemingly empty space below that. I don't know where that wad is at or if it could apply to a faux "sky over enterable building" trick or not.

Mechadon said:

Is there any real way to pull off foolery like that in vanilla? I'd love to see it. I remember Creaphis made that trick where there was an Imp in a room above the player and then seemingly empty space below that. I don't know where that wad is at or if it could apply to a faux "sky over enterable building" trick or not.

From Roger Ritenour's Phobos. He really was an amazing mapper.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/2015/screenshotdoom201106202e.png

I don't think that really counts because mid-textures are used to stimulate the building's ceiling. That building actually thought me how to do most of the effects in this thread's WAD.

Processingcontrol said:

I made a building that you could see over, but it only works of your above the ceiling: http://www.mediafire.com/?y9kscc30mso3uxl

That's a pretty snicky trick, heh. The effect would be hard to get to work in a lot of situations, but that's still very cool. I'm too lazy to check at the moment, but it looks like the screenshot bgraybr posted of Roger Ritenour's trick uses the same method. It's hard to tell, but it looks like the "roof" is solid.

Mechadon said:

I remember Creaphis made that trick where there was an Imp in a room above the player and then seemingly empty space below that. I don't know where that wad is at or if it could apply to a faux "sky over enterable building" trick or not.

If you mean this one, I don't think the map was released.

Here's the download link for the one with the revenant. Found it in my thread of vanilla mapping tricks.

Edit: off topic, but it's there any way for me to scale the image I posted earlier? It looks huge in my browser.

My Revenant-Over-Room trick takes advantage of bleeding flats. What appears to be a solid ceiling beneath the revenant is actually an untextured wall behind the revenant. It's an extraordinarily sneaky trick which I wouldn't be smart enough to come up with today, but which came to me in a flash of inspiration a couple years ago. Tomorrow I may put together a simple-as-possible demo wad if that'll help you guys figure out how to do it. I guess I could also upload 3d.wad to /idgames so we don't have to worry about passing around MediaFire links.

GreyGhost said:

Thanks for the link. I use IrfanView for most image manipulation tasks.

Nah, I was wondering if the forum supported some sort of automatic scaling. I'll fix it later.

@Creaphis an idgames upload would be great, I hate it when interesting wads (or files in general) are lost because they never get a permanent home on a good website.

Processingcontrol said:

I made a building that you could see over, but it only works of your above the ceiling: http://www.mediafire.com/?y9kscc30mso3uxl

Hah, pretty good.

esselfortium said:

I think Boom opens the doors a bit more with transfer heights. You have to cut some corners if you want something like a working door on the building, but rooms inside can have an open ceiling covered by a transferred plane. In fact, it's entirely possible to use adjacent transfer heights sectors with varying heights (so the fake roof/fake room ceiling isn't flat) as long as middle textures are used to cover the gaps between the different heights. Unfortunately, whatever the ceiling inside looks like will be the inverse of what the roof looks like.

Not sure how to create an opening into the building without using one-sided linedefs or having the thing HOM up because of the transfer heights.