Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Do you care about the lyrics in music?

hex11 said:

Rush, because their old stuff is totally epic (Caress of Steel, Fly by Night, Farewell to Kings, 2112, Hemispheres).

<3
Nay-saying critics be damned, Peart writes excellent lyrics.

Lyrics matter to me in the sense that terrible cringe-worthy ones easily detract from a song and can even lead to me downright hating it, while awesome lyrics help immerse me in the song even more and often get me singing along. They don't necessarily have to have some deep philosophical meaning for me to find them great, but that added layer of depth can sometimes be a nice bonus. On the flipside, lyrics that do have some kind of message the artist is shoving down my throat so hard that I'm practically dying of asphyxiation can be incredibly irritating. An exception to the whole "bad lyrics detract from the song" thing is lyrics that are so bad in the stupidly cheesy sense that I simply can't take them seriously on any level and just can't resist liking them for that factor. Such is the case with stuff like Dragonforce and Rick Astley.

I usually don't care that much about lyrics in songs unless they are meant to convey some sort of meaning, and even then, I find it hard to analyze the meaning of the lyrics.

So, in general, I don't care about the meaning of the lyrics mostly as long as it sounds good to me.

Clonehunter said:

monday monday

just gotta lo-uhve mu--nday

Almost forgot my other favorite set of lyrics:

Haha I loved that song, I always thought the "duba dee duba die" was "if I was green I would die" heh. Honestly though lyrics mean jack all to me when it comes to music, if it sounds amazing I'll listen to it.

Danarchy said:

Bad rap (pretty much everything played on the radio in the last 15-20 years) is pretty much just lyrics about slapping women, killing people, and collecting bling (like a GTA game!) with some shitty repetitive looped sample and beat. Meanwhile, good rap has intelligent lyrics but is usually backed by awesome turntable action, infused with jazz, or mixed with more melodic tunes to make some pretty good music.

They need a new version of this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj9_yW8tZxs
:D

Enjay said:

Some songs have a lyric that is meant to be listened to. Some songs have a lyric that has a meaning. Some songs with meaning can be about something that I care about and some may be irrelevant to me. Some songs have a completely meaningless or utterly trite lyric. Some songs have a lyric that is little more than an additional instrument on the track that just happens to have words. etc etc etc

There is no one answer to this question for me. Sometimes I care, sometimes I don't and there are many shades of caring between.

Same here. Some songs I like for the lyrics, some for the melody, and it's not as if the lyrics have to make sense.

"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.
See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly.
I'm crying.

Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.
Corporation tee-shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday.
Man, you been a naughty boy, you let your face grow long.
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen.
I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob.
"

brinks said:

<3

Lyrics matter to me in the sense that terrible cringe-worthy ones easily detract from a song and can even lead to me downright hating it, while awesome lyrics help immerse me in the song even more and often get me singing along. They don't necessarily have to have some deep philosophical meaning for me to find them great, but that added layer of depth can sometimes be a nice bonus. On the flipside, lyrics that do have some kind of message the artist is shoving down my throat so hard that I'm practically dying of asphyxiation can be incredibly irritating. An exception to the whole "bad lyrics detract from the song" thing is lyrics that are so bad in the stupidly cheesy sense that I simply can't take them seriously on any level and just can't resist liking them for that factor. Such is the case with stuff like Dragonforce and Rick Astley.

This is how I am too. Like if the only lyrics are 'dance flo' baby' with some beeping inbetween it doesn't work at all for me.

I think it depends on what the song is trying to achieve.I can really enjoy a song merely for the lyrics, but I can also get a feeling from the music itself, especially if I don't know what the lyrics are.

Though, on the other hand, sometimes I feel like I need to know what a song means, even if it risks losing that feeling from listening to it. This is a good example of what I mean:

(In the description is a more natural-sounding English translation born of an hour of working with the lyrics.)

It really depends on what type of music I'm listening to.

If I'm listening to Rock or metal song I hardly care about the lyrics. As a lot of the songs I like are really stupid if you really listen to the lyrics.

If its a rap, or pop song I care about the lyrics Since that is the main thing you hear.

So in short if the vocals in the song are the main draw the more likely I'm going to care about the lyrics/meaning of the song.

Back in high-school I knew most of the NIN, Marylin Manson and Metallica lyrics by heart. I can still sing along when I'm listening to some of their tracks.

Nowadays I don't care much about the lyrics unless there's an off chance I'll end up on some band's concert. I usually read the lyrics if I like some track to know what it's about.

Clonehunter said:

(Dare to be Stupid)

Man, that's my favorite Weird Al song ever. It's not so much a parody like his other hits, but more of a tribute. It's so Devo-ish you could hide it in a playlist of their stuff and no one would notice, but it also shows Al's creativity. The same can be said about the video, too. He made a similar song that was basically a tribute to Nine Inch Nails, but I've only heard it twice and can't remember what it's called. I saw a video of him performing it live and he actually dressed like Reznor circa Downward Spiral when he sang it. :P

GreyGhost said:

Same here. Some songs I like for the lyrics, some for the melody, and it's not as if the lyrics have to make sense.

"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.
See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly.
I'm crying.

Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.
Corporation tee-shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday.
Man, you been a naughty boy, you let your face grow long.
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen.
I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob.
"

Yeah, that is a brilliant song. It's not that the lyrics are irrelevant, though. Half the fun is listening to their absurd wordplay and the imagry that comes with it. I also like the fact that it was basically written by John for trolling people after he heard people were hyper-analyzing all his songs. Glass Onion was basically the sequel to it. Also, Only a Northern Song was basically George parodying John's psychadellic style. Now I've gone off topic, but knowing the background of Beatles songs makes them more enjoyable.

Yes and no. Lyrics can emotionally resonate if they have some meaning to me, but I can listen to music with lyrics that I couldn't care less about or with no lyrics at all and still get enjoyment out of it. I listen to such a wide range of music depending on what mood I'm in and different music affects me in different ways.

As for the "violent and hateful lyrics = violent and hateful lifestyle and mentality" thing. That's as ridiculous as saying violent games or movies effect people negatively and cause them to act upon violent thoughts.

Oh yeah, I always found the lryics of this song very beautiful and nice to hear, it leds the melody good too:

Translation:

Who act on this move which got a lonely role?
The subtitle, only the main role talks with herself.
The rival is just a memory which can't see the ending,
it leds me do too close to this movie.
Since the story is a tragedy, and then.........(I am not sure how to translate at this middle part)

At the night without stars, I use my tears to attract you.
Since I can't talk with myself since I ove you, therefore I can only smile with tears to forget you.

At the night without stars, I give my recent memories to you.
If everything just a show, I want you to have a look at it, then it's me who was sad.

And I have forget the translation of that previous song I post sung by Sarah Chen:

Is this method loving you correct?
I have ask this question for a long time and now I am tired.
I rather cry, not feeling guility, but I was afraid of being very sad.
I havn't try the taste of love, or even try to harm anyone.
If it's me who think love is too beautiful, then I shouldn't give up for this last chance.

If love is really a crime,
I will only believe myself since I suspect everyone.
If the people who lost their loved person is OK, then where do my sadless comes from?

I will only believe myself since I suspect everyone.
If the people who lost their loved person is OK, then who can share the experience of my sadless?

If the subtitles is in Chinese, then both songs will be very very beautiful to hear! I know my translation sucks.

I usually don't care about lyrics in music. It's usually women singing about how sexy they are and how they're too good for men, while the men tend to sing about their broken hearts (so which gender is really the most in touch with its emotions?).

I like Muse though, even though their song titles have nothing to do with their content. The Resistance is the best album title. Also I like Within Temptation and I liked Evanescence's first album - nothing like a bit of emo now and then!

MajorRawne said:

It's usually women singing about how sexy they are and how they're too good for men, while the men tend to sing about their broken hearts

I'm sorry, in a thread full of blanket statements, yours seems to be the most ridiculous. I wouldn't trust anyone who claims not to care about lyrics to tell me what the content is. I assume you're exaggerating, and possibly referring more to mainstream music than all music. But even then - after finally listening to the radio a whole bunch at school last year I discovered that in fact that is not quite the case.

At least where I was in Massachusetts, the majority of pop music was about going to clubs and parties, dancing, and drinking. Still, there were plenty of pop songs that were NOT about that. Some were indeed women promoting their sexiness, and men with broken hearts - others were women talking about obsession with fame, women admitting that they are crazy bitches, men saying they are overly promiscuous, men reflecting on the problems of modern society, men reflecting on the importance of their origins...

For a couple months the single most popular song on the radio was Katy Perry's "Firework." Which actually has a really positive message about accepting who you are and not holding back from living life fully.

So I apologize for the retort, but when people hold views like this (such as Xeros612: "I think it's obvious nobody cares about lyrics in popular music, since it's all the same shitty song about "love" or partying or some generic overly sexualized nonsense.") it really pisses me off. It seems to reflect ignorance in the listener, who would rather brush off the music they dislike with some elitist bullshit instead of trying to have an open mind.

After all, I probably would have agreed with you when I was younger and more naive. It's okay if you don't like the music and don't identify with the messages. It's not okay if you purposely ignore the fact that there ARE real artists in mainstream music.

EDIT: I guess Xeros612 was more harsh than you were..

MajorRawne said:

I usually don't care about lyrics in music. It's usually women singing about how sexy they are and how they're too good for men, while the men tend to sing about their broken hearts (so which gender is really the most in touch with its emotions?).

I like Muse though, even though their song titles have nothing to do with their content. The Resistance is the best album title. Also I like Within Temptation and I liked Evanescence's first album - nothing like a bit of emo now and then!

Don't listen to a lot of music, do you?

Not really, I try to follow along with the lyrics if I can which I have an easier time with standard heavy metal, doom metal and reggae as opposed to most death metal, black metal and funeral doom.

Here this one is talking about getting rid of the KKK, which originally I was thinking drug dealers.

MajorRawne said:

It's usually women singing about how sexy they are and how they're too good for men, while the men tend to sing about their broken hearts.

Ahh, Country Music...

One thing I loved about SFA is that most of their lyrics are intentionally balderdash, but they make awesome music to go with it.

Mountain People and just about anything from their album Love Kraft is 'nonsensical, but catchy' :P

Romance and love song lyrics generally piss me off because they've been done to death.

brinks said:

<3

Lyrics matter to me in the sense that terrible cringe-worthy ones easily detract from a song and can even lead to me downright hating it, while awesome lyrics help immerse me in the song even more and often get me singing along.

Agreed on both parts. Rush gets extra-awesome badass points for being able to do both crazy-well. ;)

Danarchy said:

Weird Al... made a similar song that was basically a tribute to Nine Inch Nails, but I've only heard it twice and can't remember what it's called.

Germs.

MajorRawne said:

Also I like Within Temptation and I liked Evanescence's first album - nothing like a bit of emo now and then!

That is gothic Music, It is a lot different then "emo" music.
any ways on that topic.

A nice gothic band that has good lyrics and instrumentals is Morticia.

I also will care a bit more about the lyrics if the physical copy of a release comes with the lyrics.

You know, goth has gotten a real bad rep as of late. I don't know what my tastes would be like today without Alien Sex Fiend.

Yeah, I care about lyrics. Crap lyrics simply put me off. I don't like any bands or artists that don't have appealing stuff to say or vocalize in at least some of their lyrics. My experience is that lyrics can't really be isolated from the rest of the composition and I have an aesthetic eye for literature too. I don't mean any lyrics have to be a literary masterpiece, but they have to fit in and avoid sucking or they will ruin the music.

I'd say I'm not that fussed, really. If I did care, I'd probably have to delete half the tracks from my mp3 player.

I don't really and never have cared much about lyrics...occasionally a song comes along with lyrics that I like, but otherwise I only really care about the beats and the music.