Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Cloud Computing

I want to lay down the objective truth here so everyone can read it:

Cloud computer is the most retarded idea ever. Everyone stop talking about it.

Is it a coincidence that cloud computing's big debut in the media arrives at the same time as some of the most notable incidents of security breaches in computer history?

It's like, "Hmm, everyone's website is getting hacked. I think this is a good time to suggest that everyone keep all of their personal data on our secure server. I don't see anything wrong with this."

Thanks.

Computers are appliances now. Most people out there use their computer only for the internet and simple things like text editing. They don't care what it is as long as it's fast, easy, and cheap. These recent security breaches aren't going to change the direction that computing is heading.

I'll welcome cloud computing with open arms the day that a constant wifi connection is available from everywhere ever.

It's a neat idea, but "flawed" in that sense, making things like the Chromebook entirely useless in my eyes. Why should I need a network connection to do my word processing?

Granted, all of the actually-practical applications are of no concern to me right now, so my opinions are "meh" at best. :P

Xaser didn't say:
I'll welcome cloud computing with open arms the day that a constant, high speed wifi connection is available from everywhere ever.

Fixed. I doubt even the people who would buy into this crap would accept crappy wifi for it. Then again wireless internet is generally crap anyways.

It's where personal computing's headed. The move towards online services, content delivery and applications will in due course render local storage redundant and/or illegal. We'll all be using - or expected to use - Internet workstations/appliances, our files (email, music collection, game library, word-processing, unfinished wads & etc.) will ALL be out there SOMEWHERE in the cloud and we'll be paying for the privilege to access our own stuff. In due course the only people in possession of data files offline will be the luddites, hackers, pirates and some lost tribes in whatever's left of the Amazon rainforest.

I know little about cloud computing. It seems like its existed for 10 years, but now it has a buzzword like Cloud.

One of my clients told me they spent $50,000 making their TV network into Cloud. I told her I use servers. She thought less of me for not using Cloud. So I looked it up. They're the same fucking thing.

Files are saved on the server.

Which btw that whole PlayStation Network (PSN) thing is just a royal security fuck up. having credit card numbers online is a major no no even if they're encrypted. That PSN thing should have had everyone's credit card numbers transfered on a daily basis to a computer with no Internet access each day. One thumb drive to transfer them, no one goes in with anything recordable and only one person goes in with a camera on that person and a close up on the computer.

GreyGhost said:

It's where personal computing's headed. The move towards online services, content delivery and applications will in due course render local storage redundant and/or illegal. We'll all be using - or expected to use - Internet workstations/appliances, our files (email, music collection, game library, word-processing, unfinished wads & etc.) will ALL be out there SOMEWHERE in the cloud and we'll be paying for the privilege to access our own stuff. In due course the only people in possession of data files offline will be the luddites, hackers, pirates and some lost tribes in whatever's left of the Amazon rainforest.

And on that day we will all have to purchase monitors and televisions with integrated cameras so the Party can monitor our actions.

Xeros612 said:

And on that day we will all have to purchase monitors and televisions with integrated cameras so the Party can monitor our actions.

His prediction seems like it could very well be a possibility in the future. They really are trying to make computing as dumb and less user customizable as possible. If Mac had their way, you could really do jack shit with their technology.

I can see in the future, computers being something you actually pay monthly to use, much like an old homephone. I mean, a lot of people are paying for movies and games that totally rely on the service to exist to access their paid product. Ask me ten years ago and I'd say you were mad for not buying a game on physical media.

Sigvatr said:

Is it a coincidence that cloud computing's big debut in the media arrives at the same time as some of the most notable incidents of security breaches in computer history?

Cloud computing is essentially timesharing on remote systems. To use Dropbox as an example, I can either use the free service or pay a fee each month to use some of their bandwidth, space, and a tiny bit of CPU from them that collectively acts as a service.

John McCarthy suggested this idea back in 1961. It's not new.

That said, humans are always the weakest link in any security system. While I like to believe that we will eventually be able to handle the security requirements of cloud computing, we have a long way to go.

Cloud computing... for when Web 2.0 isn't buzzword-compliant enough.

Considering that many places in the US don't even have access to cable internet, cloud computing is a lofty catch-all solution at best. But, for people like myself who happen to live in a place where you can get free wifi at public parks among other places, it's a more viable option. Technology is about options, give people the choice to use what they want in the way that is most efficient for them instead of thrusting business model after business model on the public with no alternative.

But besides most cloud computing is built off the same model as a smartphone, it's all 3G/4G stuff anyway so no matter what you end up paying the same.

Cloud computing for consumers is a ridiculous idea. Cloud computing for businesses is a viable solution (depending on the case).

Like many other things Cloud Computing has its uses but in my opinion it's utterly retarded to consider this the replacement of all home computing technology. Whoever believes that needs their brain checked.

My suspicion is more that this is supposed to be the next speculation bubble to get lots and lots of money off stupid investors. And that might actually work. I, however wouldn't bet my money on it.

Cloud computing? Had that in the 70s. It was called "terminal".

So, after years of perfecting hardware, local storage etc.... now we can waste a few billion processing cycles per second and several billions of bytes of addressable memory in order to run an OS that runs a browser that runs an interpreter for a language that runs a virtual machine that runs a framework that runs the applications that now load over a network that is well, a few orders of magnitude slower than a 90s hard disk but hey, who cares right, because now "the network is the computer" and "the browser is the OS".

Technician said:

This whole Lulz thing is dat fuck, Jobs doing! And he's on dis here board.

Let's get'em fellas!

I didn't understand a word of that, mate.

As for this hacking thing, you get these morons wasting their obvious talent by trying to bring systems down and spoil it for the users, then the users have their personal and bank details spread around the internet in the aim of "teaching The Man a lesson" - someone ought to teach the hackers a lesson by chopping their hands off. No fucker spreads my details around because they can't get laid or live a normal life.

MajorRawne said:

I didn't understand a word of that, mate.

Ask Maes to translate, he's our resident trash talk expert. I suspect "Jobs" is a reference to this individual.

someone ought to teach the hackers a lesson by chopping their hands off.

First things first - a mass conversion to Islam and adoption of Sharia Law, then we can start cutting their thieving hands off. ;-)

I dread the future.

I hate the idea of the cloud computing, but unfortunatley many people don't. By the time I'm 30/40 it will probably be the only way to use a "computer" and our current PCs will be placed alongside WW2 radios as "out-of-date communicastion devices".

In our area, the internet is crap. While we pay for 10MBPS we only get 5 at most, and thats if we have ANY. This Chromebook is useless to us, and that will be the same for many areas around the world.

Considering the way all the tech running the web is a hacked together mess that barely functions, no thanks.

I prefer to keep my data on my own devices.

Then again, I still buy DVDs and CDs. Maybe I'm just old.

Ultraboy94 said:

I dread the future.

I hate the idea of the cloud computing, but unfortunatley many people don't. By the time I'm 30/40 it will probably be the only way to use a "computer" and our current PCs will be placed alongside WW2 radios as "out-of-date communicastion devices".

In our area, the internet is crap. While we pay for 10MBPS we only get 5 at most, and thats if we have ANY. This Chromebook is useless to us, and that will be the same for many areas around the world.

Won't happen. Connectivity can't be guaranteed even in buildings with excellent networks, let alone cities or states. Added to that, storage devices and processing power aren't getting any smaller. Being able to keep as much work on a client machine and as little data travelling through congested pipes as possible means less cost for providers and less latency.

These things are why there was a huge shift from centralized mainframes and dumb terminals to PCs and laptops for things end users need.

All that said, there are awesome uses for remote storage and computing. If my documents also exist on a remote server they aren't in jeopardy if my house burns down. This is also a way for companies without big IT departments to run web services for themselves or customers. They get a plug-and-play hosting solution, the same kind of support they get from a hosting company and possibly even a pile of tools that help their developers put stuff together quickly. It's just another option.

Scientists have been doing this kind of thing for years when working on problems too big for single computers or even clusters set up in the lab. They just buy computer time on a massive distributed cluster. It's good stuff when used appropriately.

While I can see the benefits of secure online storage it gets hellish expensive once you start talking gigabytes, for now I'll settle for an external hard drive and fireproof document case.

Danarchy said:

I prefer to keep my data on my own devices.

Then again, I still buy DVDs and CDs. Maybe I'm just old.

Same here, and I know I'm old.

2011: If the computer crashes, reboot it.

2022: If the computer crashes, tough shit. The "computer" is actually hundreds of miles away and if it's after office hours you can't do anything until they get back in tomorrow.

No-one should be welcoming this technology...cloud computing is the ultimate goal for those wanting to control everything we do on our computers. It's viable for business yes, but for the home user it should be an absolute no-no.

... clouds are above us. Clouds are in the sky. If the clouds were to drop it would be like a net. Clouds... sky... nets? Sky Net. OMG. Its a taRp!