Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
888mikem888

Doom PSX TC editing issues

Hi,I'm still a complete idiot with Doom editing so I realy need help.
So here's what I'm trying to do : I have the PSX Doom Tc for GZDoom and all that. I also have a wad that changes the weapon sprites to move smother. Now I understand how to make that work with normal wads (Just merge them) But I can't figure out how to get this to work. The only way I can access the files of PSX Doom is through a PK3 through XWE. It won't let me merge or edit anything with the PK3, so I tried renaming the PK3 to WAD but that didn't really change any thing. I've tried a lot of other things like tampering with the scripts and what not but I"m so confuzzled >_<

PK3 files are like zip files. The wad and resources for it are inside of it.

Sadly I don't know how to extract them.

A proper PK3 file actually is a zip file; just with a .pk3 extension. You can even rename it to ".zip" and use whatever zip archiving program you prefer to open and extract the files. SLADE 3 should also be able to edit PK3s directly, it you prefer.

Aside from that though, why can't you just load them both seperately? Combining them is a clumsy solution if you don't need it. I recently helped Brewtal_Legend integrate some scripted PSX HUD wad thing with perkristian's smooth weapons, so if you search for that thread it might have helpful info, I can't recall. I know it was clumsy though, as the two didn't like each other, but I'm not sure if that applies to what you're trying to do.

[Edit: Here's a link to the thread I'm referring to. I'm still not sure if this is the same as what you're attempting, though.]

why can't you just load them both seperately?

This is really embarasing but... I have no ideo how to do that. I think the guy who made PSX Doom TC did something wierd with the weapons. I don't know why he would, I mean, PSX weapons have the exact same sprites and I'm pretty sure it does the exact same amount of damage, I don't get why he felt like he needed to replace the vanilla weapons with the identical same thing (Other than the sound files I suppose). But any way, I've tried merging the PK smoother weapons animation with Plutonia (The wad I use to run PSX Doom off of) But it doesn't do anything. But you're right, loading them together is a much better idea than combining them but again, I don't know how to do that, well proporly at least.

EDIT :
I'm sure I can figure out how to make it work if WXE would let me edit the PK3 file. I've tried changing it to a wad, zip and what not, but it just won't let me touch it. I read that post you linked and it I think I get what I need to do to make it work but it just won't let me do any thing to it.

Yeah, XWE won't touch it because it doesn't support zipped archives/PK3s. If you really want to combine the two, then SLADE 3 (linked in my previous post) should let you copy the lumps over manually, but it doesn't have a merge function as far as I know.

So anyway, are you using the full PSX TC, or just the HUD? If you only want the HUD and the smooth weapons, you can try downloading this.

I imagine you are talking about a full version of the TC with sounds and similar replacements, though. If so, can you post a link to wherever you downloaded it from? I'd be willing to take a look through it for conflicts between it and perkristian's weapon mod. If it's anything like the HUD, it shouldn't take much effort to fix.

Also, how are you currently loading your wads? You shouldn't have to merge them, and you really shouldn't merge anything into the Plutonia IWAD, ever. I assume you are using ZDoom (I think the PSX TC needs ZDoom-specific ACS stuff, at least; I don't really know). If so, you can load multiple wads/PK3s by multiple methods:

-Drag and drop multiple files onto the EXE at once, and it should load all of them.
-From the command line, use the "-file" parameter.
-Add them to the autoload section of ZDoom's .ini file.

My suggestion is to just copy and paste the batch file that came with the PSX TC, and edit it so that your extra file is at the end, somewhere after the -file command line parameter.