Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FLiP

Transfer Heights Question/Problem

Hello, this is my first post I think. I used to play doom extensively and created a few small maps some time ago, the new features of source ports has encouraged me to jump back into doom once again. I know transfer heights isn't relatively new, but I have not played around with doom artistry for a LONG time. I will take this time and say thanks to those who worked to bring us these great features and this great game.

I have a room over room effect in a small map I'm playing with that for some reason exhibits the usual problems, I'll explain: What I want is a monster trap (or bunker) built into a structure that already has a room on the "2nd story"; in theory, player walks in front of the trap and a panel opens revealing the small window that the monsters will fire from, sort of a machine gun nest. The "window" looks a little like a decorative panel when closed and it may increase player immersion and provide a surprise when it opens to reveal monsters behind it and under one of the previous rooms that the player transversed. I used transfer heights (action 209) and bridge sprites to accomplish this, I set it to draw only the floor as the monster trap sector is meant to be dark anyways.

When the trap window is closed, everything looks splendid. However, when it opens it creates a blank texture (HOM?) space above the monster trap. I'm assuming this is caused because the player can see both the lower and the upper rooms (through another window on the building). So, even with transfer heights, the player cannot "see" any portion of the upper and lower sections of the transfer heights sector(s) at any one time? Can I possibly unstich some vertices or anything to fix this?

Also, for a reason that escapes me, the trap room lights up to what looks like 192 brightness (which is my current brightness level for around lights/outdoors) when the trap door is opened.

Here are some screenshots:

---

This is the second story room, looking directly at the wall and floor just above the transfer heights special and the monster trap. All is good for now.

http://i.imgur.com/jRdnu.png

---

This is down the elevator and outside, before the monster trap opens. Still we are good, no problems yet. The upper brown window is the second story and the short/wide window is the trap.

http://i.imgur.com/TcnKx.jpg

---

Here is where the problem starts, when the trap door opens it creates blank textures above the transfer heights special and for some reason a really bright trap room. When I go back to the second story it looks fine just like in the first screenshot. In the editor the room is set to 128 brightness.

http://i.imgur.com/INZuT.jpg

---

Is there a way I can accomplish this? I would like to keep the window on the 2nd floor right there, but its looking like I will have to remove it for this to work?

I am using the latest version of GZDoom and Doom Builder 2 (1594 rev I think? The one that comes with the Gzdoom 3d mode plugin). Sorry if this kind of question is asked often, but I am not at all fluent in a lot of these features.

The basic rule for a 2-layer transfer heights effect is that you should never be able to see the upper level and lower level at the same time. Doing so will produce HOM in one of them. If you placed that top window on say, the other side of the building, it should be okay.

Transfer heights cannot be used for blatant 3D effects. You have to restrict how the players will see into the transfer heights sectors, making the actual illusion much more subtle. Yeah, it's quite limited, but it does have it's uses.

I guess I'll just remove the window all together to avoid problems. I just wanted that vantage point available right there, but I want a bunker even more.

It appears transfer heights also transfers the brightness of the sector?

If you're mapping for GZDoom and trying to make room-over-room effects, you have better alternatives, such as 3D floors.

Note that you cannot use Transfer Heights and Set 3D Floor on the same area; internally these two effects use the same data but in different ways so they're not compatible.

Gez said:

If you're mapping for GZDoom and trying to make room-over-room effects, you have better alternatives, such as 3D floors.

Oh, nice. At first glance they look like the exact same thing, I'm guessing 3D floors will allow the player to view both the above and below parts at the same time?