Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Death Egg

prBoom console?

I'm a bit newer to prBoom, and I was wondering how to open the console? Almost every other source port I've used has the ~` key open it up, but it doesn't seem to be working for prBoom. I've looked around but I can't find out how to get it open.

Mithran Denizen said:

PrBoom has a console? That'd be news to me.

That explains it then. So how would I warp to another level?

TrueDude said:

That explains it then. So how would I warp to another level?

Same way you've been doing it for 17 years? IDCLEVnn

The idclev cheatcode is one of the few that are always available -- "Nightmare!" skill doesn't disable it.

Ah, I actually have only used source ports like Legacy and ZDoom in the past to play Doom, so I've never used anything other than a console.

Quake was the first game with a console. It never was a feature of the original Doom.

PrBoom 2.3.0 had a console, along with a variety of other new features. There were so many bugs that the 2.3 branch was abandoned, and 2.4.x and beyond was based on 2.2.6.

But if someone did want to implement a console, the 2.3.x code could be examined.

It would be a bit more convenient, though were the bugs caused just by the console or other additions too?

They had added a lot of stuff, beyond what they were capable of doing with a necessary level of accuracy in the time they were willing to devote to the project. The code basically became a mess, and debugging would have been a nightmare.

I don't know whether the console code was at the heart of the problem, or if it was separate enough to be salvageable.

Why not just try to copy the console code from Eternity? They're both GNU-GPL.

printz said:

Why not just try to copy the console code from Eternity? They're both GNU-GPL.

Your question reads as if there's someone working on a console for PrBoom who has overlooked the existence of Eternity. But that's all wrong: the reason there's no PrBoom console is because there's no one interested in making a PrBoom console.

Actually proff and/or cph did start a project to import the Eternity console into PrBoom. However that project died and the half-imported code was redacted from the port AFAIK.

Which is probably good actually because the SMMU console has some problems, chiefly with netplay - the way in which commands are transmitted to other nodes is horrifically inefficient. I'd rather no one else adapt it until such time this is fixed.

There have also been a wide range of other basic architectural issues repaired in the console, some only as of late. Also, now that Eternity is C++ and uses a custom string class throughout the console, it might be a wee bit more work to adapt it into ANSI C PrBoom.